The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yearling acting odd and lame

So I have a lovely SSH yearling (going on 2 this fall).
    She's had off and on lameness in her right hind only. Looks like she has a peg-leg when she moves, however shows these other symptoms:
    -Her hind end is stiff
    -Has issues lifting both hind legs, will often time clutch her feet high and
    then stamp them down.
    -Sometimes refuses to move forward
    -Sometimes won't trot with me (other days she's fine running beside me), will just lag behind walking (people called her lazy)
    -Tight muscles on her hind end almost all the time
    -Doesn't like her back or hind end touched most days, even when itchy
    -Drags her feet in all gaits

My vet will be running a lot of tests next month (radiographs, flexions, and bloodwork) but figured I'd ask anyway to brainstorm possible issues!

Do you have any Lyme disease in your area? I had one with myofascial symptoms that were a bit like you describe. Also had one that was very touchy when she hadn't been previously. Both tested positive and responded to treatment for Lyme.

It's very uncommon in my area, and the vet said it's not likely, but I'll keep it in mind!

Broken pelvis?
    EPPM?
    Back Injury?
    Tying up unrelated to EPPM?
    Stringhalt?
    Urinary tract or kidney infection/problem?
    Ovarian cysts?
    Insect or parasite problem either internally, or externally, like on belly?

The lifting up the hind legs and stamping them down sounds like a muscle cramp or pain issue (assuming nothing obvious like annoying insects). It's one of the symptoms of EPPM.

Let us know what the vet says so we can all learn.

Do you mean EPSM/PSSM? If so she has a lot of those symptoms! I'm looking into the diet for it, as it says it won't do any harm even if it isn't EPSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinket View Post
    Do you mean EPSM/PSSM? If so she has a lot of those symptoms! I'm looking into the diet for it, as it says it won't do any harm even if it isn't EPSM.
    Yes, I do mean that. I'm always seeing different abbreviations: EPSM, PSSM, EPPM... Although the one I used, EPPM, doesn't make sense... I'll stop using that one!

Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy.

One of my mares has a grandson clinically diagnosed with that, and she herself has some symptoms, so I feed her accordingly just in case. It's pretty easy to just feed hay and alfalfa and skip the grains and sugars. My mare is staying healthy without added oil at this point.

Have you had baby looked by a chiro? I have had 2 horses who had several of your list items, and they needed a chiro. Both pelvis's were out.

Petey has some very very good suggestions. Also Huntin' P with the lyme.

Regardless as to lyme in your area, VERY good possibility. Could do the drugs and see if things change for the better.

There has to be a reason. Good luck and keep us posted.

She's been looked at by both Chiro and massage, vets first recommendation before testing.
    However her pelvis WAS out! But the lameness stayed and so did the general stiffness, thought it's not on and off lameness instead of constant, so it did do some good.

It was actually my chiropractor who recommended the Lyme test on my hind-end-stiff and tight muscles pony. Good thinking!

I'll definitely have him look into lyme disease!

She also has another weird symptom I noticed today while taking her on a walk....she can't go downhill very well, she stumbles the whole way down! Uphill is fine :O

I would be looking to do a neuro exam on her, but I am guessing your vet is already planning on doing so.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I have no clue, but will be interested in what you learn.

Hope you get positive news.

For sure! Neuro is high on the list, haha.

My filly had a lot of those symptoms but only one leg, turned out she had an OCD in her stifle

Does your filly have a hard time getting up when she's down?

If it is OCD you need to have that fixed before they are 2 years old. Easy surgery, I did that on a QH I had, and he turned out perfect afterwards. He did have the attitude of not wanting to go forward, sour acting sometimes, and sore. I did OCD first then a couple years later, chiro work. He was big time out in his hip. One fix and he was good to go. Vet can check for OCD. Xray if I remember correctly. It has been 10 years since.

With chiro you may need several sessions. They can put themselves back out if they are wild and crazy guys. Which my mare was. Wow can she slide stop like a pro reiner. Ok she is a rocky mt horse. But long slides, most are 20' long. Many times in limestone gravel.

Lyme. Test for lyme, or perhaps start meds for it any way. Poor baby. Hope she gets better soon.

Ok, I want to see a picture of her. :-)

Wobblers, Vit E deficiency or Selenium deficiency all come to mind. Hope you're able to figure it out.

Due to some reading I'll be switching her to a higher fat diet with Vit E and Selenium added, just because she matched a lot of EPSM symptoms and the vet said it can't hurt. I'll update once we know more!!
    Thanks everyone, gave me a lot to think on!

Unless you're in a known low Se area, and your feed all comes from a low Se area it is a BAD IDEA to just supplement Se willy nilly. Too much is a very large problem.

I don't know where you are in Canada or what the selenium maps look like for Canada, but if you don't KNOW your area and your feed is deficient then TEST the horse before you start supplementing.

It tends to be deficient here, I know that, however I'll make sure to test her first!

maybe talk to your vet about testing for EPM
    had a young horse simular and he had EPM
    The most common age for on set if EPM is 1 to 5

also possible wobblers