The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: How do you clean your western saddle pads?

Spinoff from the thread about cleaning english saddle pads...

How do you all clean your western pads? I can't just toss them in the washer
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

What kind if pads? Fleece on one side? All fleece? Felt? Navajo?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I have this pad (Diamond Wool Rancher in black: "The Rancher" is made from ranch tough 1" Wool felt with a closely quilted cotton canvas duck or western print cover and suede wear leathers.):
    http://www.diamondwoolpads.com/products/details/1/Black

I also have two Charmayne James SMx Air Ride Barrel Pads with the fleece bottoms.
    Last edited by SuckerForHorses; May. 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: More specific info

I just hose them down and use Dawn with a stiff brush. Rinse really well and then air dry.

I've tried several things. None of them worked. Now I throw it out and buy a new one when it gets too stinky.
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

When I rode western, my pads were always the kind with the fleece underside so I would brush it out really well with my metal curry, hose down and scrub with Dawn, then rinse and allow to air dry until completely dry. I have no idea what to do with felt-- maybe rinse it really well?

Quote Originally Posted by IndysMom View Post
    I've tried several things. None of them worked. Now I throw it out and buy a new one when it gets too stinky.
    I think this is where I'm at...

Last spring I took a pressure washer to them, and they still seem to be in good order...perhaps I'll do that again this year...

My concern with using any sort of soap is that it's nearly impossible to get it all out of the material...especially with such thick material...I don't want him getting itchy when he sweats and then has soap all over his back...

My western pads have a neoprene bottom, felt top with leather accents. easy rinse after every ride, few minutes to dry and all set. And no, it does not slide around and have had no issues at all with them. I use them on both my horses.

I will not use pads with neoprene bottoms - they don't breathe for one, and two, wet neoprene is "sticky" against the hair and pulls it (like using a real rubberband for a hair tie).

1 members found this post helpful.

when you pressure wash, try to do it at an angel not full on to push the dirt across and out not down and deeper

after washing you can try to spray a mix of water and vinegar to get a cleaner scent once dried as well

periodic brushings with a stiff brush in between cleanings will also help

Pressure wash. I have 2 Pro Choice pads and this works great for them. Got them cleaner than sending them to the professional cleaner did.

shop vac after every ride for the fleece ones. Then I got really smart and bought the navajo blankets and used them like a baby pad underneath. Pad stayed clean and I could toss the blanket in with the rest of the horse laundry.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    shop vac after every ride for the fleece ones. Then I got really smart and bought the navajo blankets and used them like a baby pad underneath. Pad stayed clean and I could toss the blanket in with the rest of the horse laundry.
    This is a great idea! DUH! Why didn't I think of that?!

I have one of these too: http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ma...anket/E001427/

I think that will work, says they are washable!

Dixie midnights. Maybe wash the western pads once a year if that.

Cashel is making a cotton pad with a shaped wither to go under western pads ,
    it's called the 'Pad Pal'. They work great!

Been years but I just threw the felt ones on pavement and soaked them, then walked on them with bare feet while using a spray nozzle to wash the crap my toes worked up off the pad. Kind of fun on a hot day, stinks a little at first but that goes away quick.

After the water was coming up clean, Id turn off the hose and keep working the water out with my feet then threw it over a fence to dry, which took a day or so.

Sounds kind of silly but it was a cool way to get the job done on a hot summer day. Did that once a year. If I knew there would be a lot if sweat from a schooling session, I either used some kind of washable pad underneath or a single all fleece one.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

SuckerForHorses, I use the same kind of pads as you- I just hose them thoroughly on both sides, and then use the shop vac to suck out a lot of excess water. I don't bother with soap and just use the garden 'spray nozzle' rather than my pressure washer.

Between washings- I just brush the sweat and grime off every few rides, and occasionally use the shop vac as well.

I use my canister vacuum. The carpet attachment (with the rollers) does a really good job removing dirt and dried sweat. Periodically, I hose it off and place it over a chair outside to dry.