The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

OK, thanks Jenn. Then the 2 horses, if bought by someone on Coth, will have some money for vet bills and transportation costs and all.

Assuming that the buyer(s)/bidder(s) of the horses has/have enough money to buy both of the horses.

Bumping this thread up to make sure buying is coordinated with just one person bidding per horse.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    OK, thanks Jenn. Then the 2 horses, if bought by someone on Coth, will have some money for vet bills and transportation costs and all.

Assuming that the buyer(s)/bidder(s) of the horses has/have enough money to buy both of the horses.

Bumping this thread up to make sure buying is coordinated with just one person bidding per horse.
    Hopefully we do have just one person bidding, C&C, we shouldn't have COTHers bidding against each other. Purchase prices for both horses will be covered by myself and one other COTHer, so all excess $$ can go to their care with their fosters through Jenn.

My bidder name is 'mekrub', I have to wait a full business day to get "officially" registered with the auction house (I signed up yesterday/Sunday), and will start bidding on Weds afternoon. I have my work calendar blocked off for Thurs am to babysit the bids all the way to the end.

As an aside, I'm so glad to see there are 3 bids on the potbelly pig, I can't tell if she's supposed to look like an appaloosa or not, but her white spots on her head/neck look sunburned. Who the heck cut off her ears?????

I am guessing that she came in to Dallas Co custody from the same place as the horses, as the posting for auction on the three are also 3 consecutive minutes, same day. Cute baby, and the top bidder at the moment seems to be intent on buying her, fingers crossed that she goes to a good home.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't forget about the 10% buyer's premium so add 10% to the cost of each.

I guess we do not have to pay a sales tax? Double check that.

I'm in for a dribble. What we had to do with the TWH, was have someone get cash from the bank, and go buy the horse. After it got to my place, we sent my PayPal address to people who said they were interested. After that, we pretty much took the whole project offline to comply with COTH's fundraising guidelines. I set up a spreadsheet, and when an email from PayPal came in informing me of a donation, I'd put the info on the spreadsheet. Real name, COTH name (please list that when you PayPal), email address and amount of donation. It takes a couple of business days for a PayPal donation to show up in your balance. As soon as we had enough money to reimburse the person who got the cash to buy the horse we did so. My spreadsheet is also keeping up with expenses like vet, etc. The only problem with PayPal is that while it's good for transferring money, it's not good for paying the vet, farrier, feed store, etc. In that case, whoever is caring for the horses will need to pay for those items, and then record it on the spreadsheet, listing what was purchased and how it was paid for. Good luck and COTHers rock!
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Y'all are really amazing people! So just to confirm, I am paying for the purchase of one of the horses, and a second COTHer is in for up to a certain amount, over which I will cover as needed, and I'll also cover the premium to the auction house.

PLEASE aim all other $$ toward the care of these boys, assuming I'm the winning bidder. It's been a good year and this is my personal contribution in giving back. These boys deserve a second chance at a good life.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am guessing that in this case the fundraising may not have to be taken off the board since a registered charity is collecting the funds for taking care of the horses. I think the Mod/COTH allows limited fund raising for if a 501(c)3 is the recipient and not doing it excessively.
    With the TWH and the Old Lady it was private individuals collecting with no official charity involved so had to be taken off the boards.
    But I could be mistaken on what fund raising is and isn't allowed on COTH.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by dogontired View Post
    Y'all are really amazing people! So just to confirm, I am paying for the purchase of one of the horses, and a second COTHer is in for up to a certain amount, over which I will cover as needed, and I'll also cover the premium to the auction house.

PLEASE aim all other $$ toward the care of these boys, assuming I'm the winning bidder. It's been a good year and this is my personal contribution in giving back. These boys deserve a second chance at a good life.
    Sounds great. Dogontired, you are going to be the only COTHer bidding on both horses, is that right?

Someone cut off the pig's ears! The pig who is up for auction! And that "pink" on the pig is probably where it was injured. It's got a long snout, so does that make it a generic pig? Aren't pot bellied pigs with shorter snouts? Is it going to be eaten? Poor pig. (No we warmbloods don't want a pig of any kind. )

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    Sounds great. Dogontired, you are going to be the only COTHer bidding on both horses, is that right?
    yes ma'am, I hope so. Already practicing on eBay for that last minute bidding

I think that's probably the best way to go. One person bidding on both will reduce the confusion. If you do need more funds for purchasing, I'm in.

I wonder if the Mods couldn't come up with a legal way to coordinate these flashmob-saves as a permanent "sticky" thread? We could call it the "Starfish Project."

2 members found this post helpful.

Bump. Only a few more days to rescue these 2 Texans, the bay TB and the pinto.

so for those of you watching the auction site (like I am), the prices are going up on both horses and the pig. I have not made any bids yet, so don't panic. I plan on bidding tomorrow/Thurs a.m.

The way this auction works, there is a mechanism that any bid in the last 5 minutes of the auction will extend the auction for another 5 minutes, so say the bidding is supposed to be over at 11 a.m., and somebody submits a bit at 10.58. The auction will extend until 11.05 a.m., and then if someone else submits a bid at 11.03, then the auction stays open until 11.10, etc. etc. That extension thing keeps going until that extra 5 minutes passes and no other bid is submitted. So unlike eBay, there will not be a final "completed" stamp until there are no bids in the last 5 minutes. It's called 'no sniping'.... who knew?

This is a good thing because it means I can keep an eye on both horses and keep bumping it back 5 more minutes until I win. Thought this extra info would be helpful.

I will be bidding under the i.d. of mekrub, so if you want to keep track, you will know when it's me

This is like ebay. Last minute one click bidding? OK what I do on ebay, and learned from losing on some tack, is this: I bid say X amt just before time is up, then at last minute, bid what my max is. Then if someone has waited to bid above me at last minute, and they haven't bid more than my max, my bid wins. Of course, if I wait too late, I lose.

Good luck tomorrow. And thanks for doing all the work.
    That horse in FL is as skinny as "our" two Texas horses.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    That is probably not a 'paint' which is normally a stock horse body type. The length of that neck and a few other features make me think this is a Saddlebred. I hope both of them get new homes, ASAP.
    I was thinking National Show Horse, it looks part Arab to me. Could be Arab x Paint I guess or a "Pintabian" (one of those made up breeds!). I don't think any kill buyer would be interested in these though.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I'm working the FL thread right now, but just wanted to hop over here to say that COTH is kick @ss! Good luck tomorrow/Thursday! Depending on what goes on with those two, I may be able to chip in with a dribble towards costs, but I won't know for a few days.

Oh that is good about extending the bidding, unlike ebay.

Now the pinto is up to 135 and the bay is 95. Wish we knew who those other bidders are. Rescuers or kill buyers?
    OK good luck dogontired!

And Superminion has offered to take the FL CL horse. Thank you. Hmm, living in Fort Knox!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I wonder if the Mods couldn't come up with a legal way to coordinate these flashmob-saves as a permanent "sticky" thread? We could call it the "Starfish Project."
    I've thought about asking if anyone was interested in forming a 501(c)3 so we could fundraise on COTH. I'm afraid though, that it might attract too much attention from scammers trying to unload horses with a sob story.

What do you all think?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I've thought about asking if anyone was interested in forming a 501(c)3 so we could fundraise on COTH. I'm afraid though, that it might attract too much attention from scammers trying to unload horses with a sob story.

What do you all think?
    I've thought about suggesting that, but then the logistics get in the way.
    1. Who would be on the BOD?
    2. What's the specific mission?
    3. How do you decide which horses to help?
    4. How do you decide which rescues are legit (so you can assist them/place the horses with them/whatever).
    5. If you help individuals, how do you decide who gets help? A nonprofit has to have some rules on that so you can't just give money to people.
    And I forget the other logistics I had thought of...

It isn't impossible. Just would require some thought and planning.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Hahaha Laura, well if you want to do all the work. I offered to help incorporate and do all the paperwork for a certain Cother and her new 501(c)(3) 4 or so years ago, and to my surprise, she had no one to be on BOD and solicited me. Uh, I'm not the fundraising type, but since she claimed she had no one else, I said OK. I have never been "Ms. Congeniality."

Next thing I knew, that Cother and another were trashing people they'd asked to contribute. The people had contributed, but were trashed anyway. I said that's not the way to do business. if you don't like people and trash them, then don't ask for contributions from them. Then they told me that another rescue here in GA could not be allowed to get anything from "our" 501c3 because they didn't like that woman. Uh I bailed in spring 2009.

So I will help do all the paperwork. Actually everything was on line back then, both the IRS forms and the state (MO) where the Cother was incorporating her 501c3. Oh and I prefer an INC rather than a LLC, since it protects board members better. We all learned about "piercing the corporate veil" in law school. And while it sounds kind of kinky, it can be painful and expensive to be pierced.

OK so the bids on "our horses" are going up. I've send a check, so hopefully dogontired can get both of the guys. Poor pig, after what just happened to the PBP at our barn, I feel sorry for pigs now. But don't have a place to put her, even though my horses spent a lot of time with the now deceased PBP at our barn.