The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    I just wish I was closer and the dribble I sent was in the small part in the whole picture.
    There is no such thing as a small dribble. Really - I doubt any of us could do this alone, but working together we accomplish miracles.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Bingo owes a great deal to Ruth and dogontired. Ruth posted the info on Coth to start the ball rolling to save Bingo, and dogontired bid on him, not knowing if she'd get stuck with paying over 300 for him or if she'd get any reimbursement at all. And all the great Cothers who contributed money to send with him to pay for his bills are great.....

C&C, I had a wonderful friend on COTH who contributed to the purchase price, and you forget I was bidding on the paint too! This bail-out money was from my and my friend's hearts and was a gift to Bingo. All other funds were aimed at Jenn for Bingo's care, at my specific request. I am so happy that he has a chance at a new life and that the paint was bailed out as well.

The people on this forum are truly, genuinely amazing, caring, thoughtful, wonderful people. Of course we're all horse people, what am I saying? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    There is no such thing as a small dribble. Really - I doubt any of us could do this alone, but working together we accomplish miracles.
    ~~ This ~~

I sent my dribble! But I forgot to specify it was for Bingo. Doesn't really matter, the money goes where it's needed I know!

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    I sent my dribble! But I forgot to specify it was for Bingo. Doesn't really matter, the money goes where it's needed I know!
    If you want to specify it for him, you can email me at jenn@bluebonnetequine.org and let me know (or send me a PM here).

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I think these photos are public on FB (I'm never sure since I seem unable to keep up with the FB changes ).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I think he looks a little worse, but that's because so much of his nasty hair is gone. I think you can see in the photos that he still has some over his ribs and some patches by his hips. I'm getting it off as it loosens - I don't want to pull anything. I brushed him a little but he's so thin I don't think that's comfortable so now I'm just running my fingers over the hair and it falls out in clumps.

He's got a fly mask now to keep the flies out of his face. He's still eating and drinking a lot - I've stopped increasing his feed now in preparation for his move. After he's settled in with his new foster, she'll increase it more.

I think the photos show that he's bright-eyed. You can't see how demanding he is. Or how sweet. He had his head in my arms this morning just letting me hold and pet him. He's a good guy.

3 members found this post helpful.

I forgot to add - you guys won't get updated next week. I'll be without internet access (all the rescue horses here will be well-cared-for. DH has to work from home next week and babysit ).

thank you again Jenn, and everyone who pitched in to rescue Bingo. He looks like he has a lot of heart, and he'll be a wonderful horse once he recovers.
    I had a friend who rescued an older TB who was almost this thin. It took time, but he recovered fully and is still plugging along at 28.

2 members found this post helpful.

So did the Texas people say he was a stray? That's on the website of Bluebonnet. Did someone turn him out and let him wander around before someone called the state about him and he was seized and auctioned?
    That's the best info I could get. In the last couple of years, we've seen more and more stray horses here. In Texas, estray livestock must be impounded for at least 15 days while the sheriff's department attempts to locate an owner (and they must do so by researching brands, running found livestock ads, etc.). They then can sell the animals at auction to help recuperate the costs of impounding. Per Texas law, the sheriff's dept. CAN give the horse to a nonprofit rescue/welfare org. if they can't sell the animal or the estimated sales price won't offset the expenses. Some SO's use this to say they must sell them at auction (as Dallas Co. did), others say they'll never make money on auction and ask us to take them. I have another estray here right now - a perfectly healthy, adorable pinto who I still cannot touch (aside from a microsecond at a time while he's eating) who was found with an injured horse (who is in another foster home).

We listed him as estray since that is what it appears he was. We didn't list him as purchased as we don't buy horses, and we didn't list him as donated/surrendered because dogontired didn't do this to him. (I checked with dogontired, and she's told me she's ok with how he's listed).

I am trying to get all donors listed under his thank yous (first names or first names and initials only). If someone donated and doesn't want to me listed, let me know (you can send me an email or a PM). We don't list last names as not all donors want to be public.

It would be nice if the foster home could provide us with updates on Bingo. Or if that person could post updated pix on Jenn's website. We want Bingo to go to a good home eventually.
    We will post follow-up photos as we get them and I'll let you know when that is. Our foster homes give a lot (they pay much of the cost of the rehab/feeding until the horses are adopted out), and I try not to harass them too often. We do make follow-up visits to make sure all is going well, though, and get photos at that time.

Hope I have caught you all up - I am sure I am missing some things.

Hope I have caught you all up - I am sure I am missing some things.
    Nope, I don't think you missed anything, Jenn, good catch up. The boy is in great hands and is eating like a pig. That's all we can ask!

The hugging photos as requested - he wasn't as thrilled about it today (normally his ears are up and he looks happy!). But it may be because we were bugging him a bit beforehand. He's got what might be warts around his left eye. He had one or two when he arrived - I actually thought it was just bald spots from his horrible condition. But today he has more, so he's going to have to see the vet. I want to make sure it isn't something else. (I've not seen this before).

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm thrilled that the horse is recovering.

Posting this is all I can do- as a broke teacher with 3 horses and 5 cats, I can't donate monetarily.

I actually heard about this from a friend that posted it on facebook- and she is thrilled as well that we both played a small part in getting this horse to a place where he can be rehabbed and get much needed TLC!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    Posting this is all I can do- as a broke teacher with 3 horses and 5 cats, I can't donate monetarily.
    Again - there are no small roles! If you hadn't seen him and posted, he wouldn't be out in my barn gobbling down hay and waiting for his foster home to get here (today's moving day, I am going to miss him!). None of us can be everywhere, see everything, and do everything. We -have- to work together. And when we do, the horses win! Thank you for your part in his save.

Again - there are no small roles! If you hadn't seen him and posted, he wouldn't be out in my barn gobbling down hay and waiting for his foster home to get here (today's moving day, I am going to miss him!). None of us can be everywhere, see everything, and do everything. We -have- to work together. And when we do, the horses win! Thank you for your part in his save.
    ditto, Jenn.....

I actually heard about this from a friend that posted it on facebook- and she is thrilled as well that we both played a small part in getting this horse to a place where he can be rehabbed and get much needed TLC!!
    Ruth, you did great! Who knows what might have happened to Bingo if you hadn't posted him here? I'm also a poor teacher and sent my dribble before one of my oldies got sick -- just picked up two more summer classes, so hopefully I can get that paid for and send more in a week or two for Bingo.

Someone should write a story about his for a magazine or newspaper. There are so many feel good touch points from start to finish!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Someone should write a story about his for a magazine or newspaper. There are so many feel good touch points from start to finish!
    I've suggested contacting a reporter with the Examiner and I still have her contact information from the Cool Meadows stolen horse thread. I think it would be a great feel good story and might bring some well deserved attention to Bluebonnet. What does everyone think?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Great idea to do an article on Bingo! In fact, didn't the Chronicle mag do an article on Always Funny? Maybe one of the staffers will read this thread and do an article.

And OP Ruth, starting this thread saved Bingo! Once some Cother put a thread on here ridiculing a horse owner who was moving back to the West Coast and was giving away her very old QH. 2Jakes read the thread, and told me. Although the horse was way up above Atlanta, I contacted the owner and said to either euth the 25 or 26 yr old horse, or put him on the Coth giveaways. (He was in good shape and well cared for, but old.) The owner did, and weighaton took him. The owner send him to her in Louisiana. Weighaton has posted some pix of her children riding the old boy. That was several years ago, and the horse was, last time I heard, still alive and loved by the kids. If 2jakes had not taken the time from her busy schedule of rassling snakes, that horse might have ended up starved in north Georgia somewhere.

Saving horses can be done lots of ways. This thread was essential to saving Bingo.

Someone on Coth needs to adopt Bingo when he feels better. We could all help out with transport to a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I've suggested contacting a reporter with the Examiner and I still have her contact information from the Cool Meadows stolen horse thread. I think it would be a great feel good story and might bring some well deserved attention to Bluebonnet. What does everyone think?
    That would be wonderful, Laura, thank you. (I'm going to be away from the internet Wed. - Sunday, but I'm around before/after that).

Btw, Bingo is at his new foster home now. He loaded into the trailer like a champ, and he rode well. She is already smitten with him like I am - he's quite a charmer. I explained his unique story and she's supposed to keep me updated with progress photos. I'll post them as I get them.

Unless something goes wrong, there shouldn't be a lot of progress/reports/updates on him, aside from weight gain, as he's got months of rehab. to go through before he can do anything else. His foster home is going to show him off to her clients (she runs an equine injury rehab. facility) and use his story to spread awareness of neglect. People often KNOW horses are neglected, but they don't know what that means until they see it in front of them. Bingo just may help other horses in the future!

(An example of that knowing but not knowing... I've worked or volunteered in rescue since 1998. My dad's seen a lot of the horses either mostly through rehab. or after rehab. when he's visited me and he's seen photos. He and his wife hadn't seen an emaciated horse in person, though, until they were here and Bingo stepped off the trailer. He made it hit home for them...)