The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Might be our boy. The star is right. I ran out to check on the cowlick but it was too dark in the barn (no electricity) to tell. I did find something I hadn't noticed before - a dent in his forehead. That would be a nasty wreck to cause such a dent.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

That's a nice pedigree! Sure hope this is Bingo!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Might be our boy. The star is right. I ran out to check on the cowlick but it was too dark in the barn (no electricity) to tell. I did find something I hadn't noticed before - a dent in his forehead. That would be a nasty wreck to cause such a dent.
    A forehead dent could be hereditary. I have an 'F' line Holsteiner with a forehead dent...I too thought it was an old injury before I purchased him. Instead, I ran into someone at a horse show who noticed the dent and immediately identified my horse as an 'F' line Holsteiner....told me it was a trait.

Bump

Any update?

Yes, who has the horse, how is he doing, is there enough money sent it by people to help with his rehabbing, etc., etc. etc.? We don't want to have his disappear after donating money to help him.

How much money was there (after the purchase price) for him and did it go to the foster? What's going on?
    Updates are important to those who participated in buying and rehabbing him with donations.

I haven't posted any updates as there have been no changes. He's so emaciated that rehabilitation is going to be a long, slow process. He's doing nothing other than eating, hanging out, and eating more. And demanding more food than I will give him (and he's getting a lot of food).

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I haven't posted any updates as there have been no changes. He's so emaciated that rehabilitation is going to be a long, slow process. He's doing nothing other than eating, hanging out, and eating more. And demanding more food than I will give him (and he's getting a lot of food).

Well I'm glad to hear he's opinionated! That's always a good sign!

My update request was more on his identity. Do we think we have a positive match with Murr Murr? When I did the search, I was flipping back and forth between the Jockey Club Registration description of the horse's markings and the auction site and chose the one that fit what I saw in the pictures. I know you said you were going to look at the cowlick, but it was too dark at the time. I was hoping we had a match.

for a couple of days, there was a remote possibility that he was a 1990 standardbred out of New York, but alas, that horse (Reliant Image) had white on his left hind pastern, and our Bingo has no white on his legs whatsoever, so there went that idea..... He's definitely our Mystery Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Well I'm glad to hear he's opinionated! That's always a good sign!

My update request was more on his identity. Do we think we have a positive match with Murr Murr? When I did the search, I was flipping back and forth between the Jockey Club Registration description of the horse's markings and the auction site and chose the one that fit what I saw in the pictures. I know you said you were going to look at the cowlick, but it was too dark at the time. I was hoping we had a match.
    Ooops. I apologize for that..

The cowlicks don't match. He's got two that are higher up in his star - hard to describe, but they're about half-way up his star, one on either side of it (does that make sense?).

I think he wants to be a mystery. I had filed a request with the Jockey Club, they asked for more photos, and I had sent those. I need to follow-up with him.

And yes, I like opinionated, too. It means he's feeling good! I've noticed in the last couple of days he's been spending a little more time in his paddock. At first, he just hung out in his stall (he has a 12 x 12 stall attached to an approx. 60 x 30 foot paddock).

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better. Now that he's been rescued, his future is more important than his past Here's to making it a better one!

1 members found this post helpful.

Our web coordinator got his page up today (with more photos) at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...ehs-693-bingo1 - I will get some more photos and have her update it again.

Oh, those are tough photos to see. I see what you meant when not wanting to post photos right away, he is so so thin. Very grateful Bluebonnet was able to take him in and rehab him. Thanks for the update.

Our web coordinator got his page up today (with more photos) at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...ehs-693-bingo1 - I will get some more photos and have her update it again.
    Poor guy is so skinny.

I am confused by this line on your webpage:

Bingo was found estray and placed with BEHS when his owners were not located.

Thanks for the update. Another dribble sent for the mystery man.

I'll just chime in and say that it is possible but unlikely that an unraced horse is tattooed. I have a mare who trained at the track for months but who didn't start and never got tattooed. I had another horse that didn't get tattooed until practically the morning of her first race.

So while anything is possible-hurt going to the gate the first race, vet scratched and then never started etc etc- that is not the most likely thing.

If I just repeat myself, I apologize. I've corresponded with a few of you via email as well, and I now cannot remember who has gotten what info!

So either Sunday or Tuesday, our Mystery Man (aka Bingo) is going to move on to his long-term foster home. I would -love- to keep him here, but I do a lot of the intake for the rescue and don't get to keep them often. Intake means I figure out what we have (because I've been called to pick up mares only to find out they're geldings - or geldings who turn out to be stallions, etc.), see if they're halter broke, get their Coggins and vaccinations done, and get them stable. Some stay with me longer because they have difficult needs (I have one right now who cannot be touched, I'm working on gentling him but it is going to be a while before he can move on). So this is why Bingo will be moving.

The new foster home has been with us for several years and done rehab. for us before. She isn't great about sending in updates, so I'll do my best to harass her and pass them along. She has recently opened an equine sports-medicine rehab. place SO once Bingo is in good weight she has lots of resources to help him rebuild muscles and bring him along slowly. Additionally, she's a vet tech so he'll have good hands-on care in the event he needs it. This is probably the best foster home he could go to.

I actually saw our boy trot a few steps today for the first time. Even though I have been doing this a while, it is amazing to me that a horse who looks SO BAD can feel ok. I'm still working on getting that nasty hair off of him as he gets antsy after I bug him for too long. He looks like he's molting and I'll try to remember to take the camera out to get pictures of him this evening.

Donations to date (I will have to go double check amounts as I've kept a running total in my head) have covered getting him picked up/trailered, his vet work (general exam, all vaccinations), and maybe his first week or two of feed.

He's a lucky boy and I'm glad to play a small part in his new life. I wish I could keep on fostering him as I adore him, but I have a long list of neglect cases I need to or are already harassing authorities about. I've got to be ready to do more intake.

Jenn, you are an angel of life, thank you on behalf of Bingo, myself, Carole and all the other folks following this saga.

Poor Bingo! He is really thin. He is going to feel a lot better after a few months. I hope he makes it through rehab OK. As for his tattoo, it can take a while to find out what it really is. BTDT.

So did the Texas people say he was a stray? That's on the website of Bluebonnet. Did someone turn him out and let him wander around before someone called the state about him and he was seized and auctioned?

Bingo owes a great deal to Ruth and dogontired. Ruth posted the info on Coth to start the ball rolling to save Bingo, and dogontired bid on him, not knowing if she'd get stuck with paying over 300 for him or if she'd get any reimbursement at all. And all the great Cothers who contributed money to send with him to pay for his bills are great. So is his fund depleted? The donation information is on post 69, I think.

It would be nice if the foster home could provide us with updates on Bingo. Or if that person could post updated pix on Jenn's website. We want Bingo to go to a good home eventually. Maybe Bingo could end up with a Cother somewhere after rehab????? That would be so great.

I just wish I was closer and the dribble I sent was in the small part in the whole picture.

Jenn, thank you for the response on my donation!

This would be an really awesome feel good piece for the Examiner. What do you think? I still have the contact information for the writer I talked to about Cool Meadows.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant