The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Can anyone in Dallas County help this online government auction horse?

http://www.lonestaronline.com/listin...1053194517#TOP

Gah. This just popped up on my FB newsfeed from someone with relatives in Texas. I'd like to know the details behind this- hopefully it was an abandoned horse that they recently acquired.

OMG. I'm in if anyone will take him. PM me if someone takes him and wants a little help with money.

Bumping this...wish I were closer.

There's a paint horse in similar shape also up for bids:
    http://www.lonestaronline.com/listin...1053194516#TOP

Equus Keepus Brokus

That is really, really sad. I wish I was in a position to take both.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I cant' believe they would put them in auction in that condition. How tragic for the horses. If they were seized why aren't they with the local ASPCA getting rehabbed before going to auction or offered for adoption?

3 members found this post helpful.

Feed them or put them down. The government has the responsibility to do this. But of course, by selling them for a pittance, then let them go over the mexican border to slaughter.

Anyone want them? I'll help if you PM me. I board, and I'm too far away to do physical help, but I have paypal.

3 members found this post helpful.

"Thin but has put on weight since impounded." Clearly they're feeding it (better than whoever they seized it from was, anyway.) What are they supposed to do, stuff it full of grain and sell a foundered horse, or spend a fortune holding it forever to get it into "suitable" condition? They have a legal responsibility to do what the law requires, which apparently means selling at public auction after a certain point. (That implies it wasn't a private humane society kind of seizure but a criminal case of some kind.)

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, the smart thing is to do what the kill buyers will do. Wait for the agency to fatten it up and then buy it.

I don't think meat vendors want an animal that thin, but I am certainly no expert. In the meantime, the animal is apparently out of its former bad situation, is being fed well, and is clearly in a clean and safe environment.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    There's a paint horse in similar shape also up for bids:
    http://www.lonestaronline.com/listin...1053194516#TOP

That is probably not a 'paint' which is normally a stock horse body type. The length of that neck and a few other features make me think this is a Saddlebred. I hope both of them get new homes, ASAP.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I don't have room for them, but if someone does and needs me to pick them up and deliver within say a 2-3 hour distance from Dallas, I can do that.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

It looks like the pinto's mane and tail were brushed out and maybe even trimmed up. Someone tried to make him look his best which is really sweet and sad at the same time.

9 members found this post helpful.

Just bumping this up in the hopes that someone in that part of Texas can help these two out before they head south I'm too far away and can't take on another horse right now, but would chip in if someone else can. Maybe the OP can edit their post to let more readers know that it's about emaciated horses needing a rescue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    Just bumping this up in the hopes that someone in that part of Texas can help these two out before they head south I'm too far away and can't take on another horse right now, but would chip in if someone else can. Maybe the OP can edit their post to let more readers know that it's about emaciated horses needing a rescue?
    I doubt they're worth hauling to Mexico. They probably don't weigh enough to be worth $25+gas to get them there (plus they don't get paid if it drops dead from the stress of hauling.) And whoever gets them better have some experience bringing a horse back from severe body condition-I'd hate to see them go to someone who just wants to 'save the horsie' and who doesn't know how to feed something starved...I'd suggest chipping in to get them to cowgirljen, but I think her place is full up. Though maybe she knows someone qualified?

I can't take either of the poor things. But I can help if someone wants to take them and needs some monetary assistance

I wish I could take em. :/ I board my guy and couldnt afford board for another plus all the extra feed to fatten em up! But I would be willing to help best I can in other areas!! But man it sickens me to see that they are trying to make a buck off of them through auction! Just give them away instead of waiting a few weeks for people to bid $25! :/ Or hell if they must have money say $50 and pick them up.... no need to make them wait even longer to find help
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Tehzebra View Post
    I wish I could take em. :/ I board my guy and couldnt afford board for another plus all the extra feed to fatten em up! But I would be willing to help best I can in other areas!! But man it sickens me to see that they are trying to make a buck off of them through auction! Just give them away instead of waiting a few weeks for people to bid $25! :/ Or hell if they must have money say $50 and pick them up.... no need to make them wait even longer to find help
    If they were discovered estray or were seized due to neglect or were seized because of abandonment, they can't just give them away. For estray horses and livestock in Texas, they must either auction them off (at public auction) or send them to a rescue. For seizures (neglect, cruelty, or abandonment), the JP on the case has three options: euthanasia, public auction, or rescue/nonprofit animal welfare organization.

Some counties won't work with rescues because they've been burned by them in the past.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm certainly not in a position to help out either of these two (being broke and in MA) but wanted them to get some publicity in case someone in the area wanted to do a good deed.

I figured that the horses were like that when acquired, and recently acquired, and I'm not criticizing the locals who are probably doing what is legally required.

It just seems somehow *wrong* for an emaciated horse to be auctioned off online for $25. I guess I was just hoping someone from Texas would be able to help these poor beasts out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Auction goes on through May 30th, current bid is $45.00.

I wish they were closer, I would try to figure something out for the TB
    Good luck.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406