The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bits for the "busy tongue" horse?

I just got my Bit of Britain Spring/Summer catalog. On page 80 middle column 4th bit down is the "tongue bit"-"for horses that play a lot with their tongues or put them over the bit." Also in the fourth column, 2nd bit down is the "loose ring spoon bit" "extremely effective with horses that play with their tongues." both bits are under $30.00. So has anyone had any luck with using a bit to manage the "busy tongue" horse. My mare is an OTTB who likes to stick her tongue in and out and in and out of her mouth. She doesn't get her tongue over the bit just plays- it's like her very own busy box for her. She does it in her stall, with a halter, in a bridle (she's normally in a french link). I am sure these bits would not be allowed in dressage (eventing). But suppose they could be used otherwise- so can anyone comment on real life experiences with such bits? Thanks in advance!!! And also on page 81, middle column 2nd bit down is the "Dee ring spoon bit"- also for horses that play with their tongues.

My busy mouthed horse went well in a D with copper rollers.

Like this:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/roller-...dee/p/X1-0192/

They are inexpensive ($24.95 from dover) but I have no idea on the legality for eventing.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

My mare's french link actually has a copper roller on the middle link. But she still sticks her tongue out. The only thing that has really ever worked is a shot of peanut butter- though it doesn't last for very long!

I've used a Segunda for a horse like that; looks like a torture device but isn't. Once they have a place to put their tongue, it stays there pretty happily.

Some ottb's are so used to having their tongue tied to race that they never learn to keep it in their mouths. There are tricky little ways of tying it with a piece of cloth. Ask your horse dentist or anyone else from the track. Never tried the segunda, but I bet they can still let it hang out. Some trainers used a huge rubber band that ties to the middle of the bit and then gets looped around the tongue twice sort of like a pony-tail tier. They hate it so much that they learn not to play with it because it pulls the bit into their mouth when they do. That is a Jay Shuttleworth trick.

Try a Myler combo bit that has a port. A port is softer than a jointed bit. Many horses hate tongue pressure and most of the bit we ride in apply tongue pressure, but we ride in them because we mistakenly think they are gentle.

The Myler combo will put pressure on the poll and nose and your horse will likely respond long before the mouthpiece engages.

Horses learn tricky ways to avoid the pinch of a jointed bit or a bit that applies tongue pressure. I think it horrible to tie a tongue and force a horse to accept something that is uncomfortable!! we wouldn't dream of forcing a horse to ride in a saddle that didn't fit!

You can rent Myler bits to try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Some ottb's are so used to having their tongue tied to race that they never learn to keep it in their mouths. There are tricky little ways of tying it with a piece of cloth. Ask your horse dentist or anyone else from the track. Never tried the segunda, but I bet they can still let it hang out. Some trainers used a huge rubber band that ties to the middle of the bit and then gets looped around the tongue twice sort of like a pony-tail tier. They hate it so much that they learn not to play with it because it pulls the bit into their mouth when they do. That is a Jay Shuttleworth trick.
    Wow, old-home week! Jay custom-made my Segunda!