The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pricing and Selling Saddle

I'm sorry-- another saddle thread! But.. I recently bought a new saddle that I love, but now need to sell my old one. What are good places to list it/consign other than eBay? It is an older Keiffer (good shape, but the model is no longer made). It has been on eBay once (and is currently on again), but I haven't really had any interest, so any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

I have had good luck with Craigslist and TackTrader.
    Sheilah

Are you advertising it in 'real life' as well? When I was looking to buy a saddle online shopping felt like it was so time-consuming and a hassle. I went to a tack shop that had saddles on consignment and I asked around the stable if anyone knew of saddles for sale and those are the only ways I shopped for saddles. If someone had put up a flyer advertising their saddle I would have looked at that too. Are you able to get the word out about your saddle in your local horse community? Maybe putting up flyers, letting grooms or whoever else know, teling saddle fitters you have a saddle for sale? That's how most people I know tend to sell or find used saddles at least.

Kieffers are nice saddles, I just rode in one yesterday

Tacktrader.com and bitsandbridles.com are often good sites for moving saddles. Equine.com is another.

I also had good luck with pelham saddlery if you're in New England. They have a ton of saddles in stock, so there's a good flow of customers. They do charge commission fees but, after trying to sell my saddle for a year on ebay and other random places it finally sold from this store. I also bought mine from there

The problem you'll have is that Kieffer isn't one of the "hot" brands. Don't get me wrong, they are great saddles -- I own one myself.

I would try selling it direct as well as on eBay -- Craig's list, eventingnation.com, some of the dressage boards, Facebook, etc.

You can send it out for consignment but be prepared to wait. A friend of mine had a Kieffer at Pelham for more than a year before it sold.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've actually been looking for a Kieffer dressage saddle for my youngster on ebay. The problem I've found is a combination of Kieffer's seat sizing is a little different than other manufacturer's and sellers being unaware of or unresponsive on that issue. Saddles are often listed on ebay as being sized in inches, when Kieffer makes them in sizes 0,1,2. I have owned a Kieffer in the past so I know what I am looking for. The best listings I've found include a pic of the information that is stamped on the inside flap.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.