The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cream Coordination

After working my butt off (literally) in boot camp class all winter, I need new show clothes. I have a liver chestnut so I am seriously considering going with cream rather than white (jacket & tack is black).

My question is how far do I need to take it? I have a white saddle pad with cream trim. I want to buy cream breeches and gloves.

So what about the shirt and stock tie? Can either be white or would all cream be the sharpest? I'm not a fashionista (but want to look like one!)

If stock tie and/or shirt should be cream, any sources?

Thanks!

Just go with your own personal preference... it's a dressage show, not hunters or breed showing. As long as you look tidy and professional no one cares.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Your shirt won't matter

Your stock tie will. Cream looks wonderful on a liver chestnut (I had one) and I found all the matching cream things I needed at Dressage Extensions (catalog/website). It is not cheap, but as my husband always says: "if you look good, you'll feel good, and if you feel good, you'll do good" (ok well) but you get the idea. Also consider a navy or dark brown jacket, softens the look a bit, black is a harsh color.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm doing something similar this year. I have a maroon dressage coat with navy velvet collar and white piping. I'm starting to wonder if a cream stock will look silly next to the white piping. So far what I do have is a pair of Tropical Riders in their Wheat color. But I am not sure about how easy it'll be to match to. I guess I need to head over to Dressage Extentions...

As reference, I want to do cream stock, black gloves, black helmet, black boot, cream breeches, cream pad. Though I have toyed with dove gray breeches and white stock/pad. Also toying with navy pad with cream setup. Too many choices!!!

Watching this thread for some ideas!

i agree with the clean and neat, but if you love matchy matchy and fashion, go for it, lol.

I use cream interchangeably with white, without changing shirt, tie, or saddle pad.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Well... I am a former hunter princess, so I am accustomed to caring about appearance as well as performance.

I understand that a lot of dressage riders kind of dismiss the whole subject, but I'll tell you the main reason why hunter people put so much time and care into putting together a really gorgeous appearance - and it's not purely vanity.

It's because they know that a really pulled together, attractive appearance says to the judge, "Look at us; we are completely prepared and our performance is going to blow you away. I am your winner."

That doesn't mean that they think a pretty coat is going to make up for a horse being on the forehand, or blowing a lead change or any other deficiency or mistake. It's about making a good first impression, and maybe getting the edge if all other things are equal.

Now, in the hunters, there is no scribe taking down comments and generally the judge isn't scoring as they go, other than to make their own notes about the round to help them remember each ride when they go to pin the class; a really pretty coat or a particularly polished appearance can help the judge recall a performance when it comes time to hand out ribbons.

That is obviously different than what a dressage judge is doing, as they score each movement during the actual ride, and the ribbons get handed out based on the math scores that result. But I still think that it makes perfect sense to show up looking like you "mean it," and are prepared to put in a really polished performance.

As my old coach used to say, "there are so many things you just can't control when you are in the ring showing. But dressing the part and looking like the winner is something you CAN control. Why wouldn't you give yourself every edge?"
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

8 members found this post helpful.

looks are not worth a plugged nickel if you cannot perform, workmanlike, clean, neat and functional look professional to me,
    over matchy looks like you are trying to hard
    this is just my opinion, and i like that some people enjoy the dressing up part, in fact i enjoy seeing others outfits.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

That subject line is just...weird.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Absolutely what Chisamba said. When I see a dressage rider decked out in something above-and-beyond my thought is: "I really hope their performance is good enough to justify the time and money spent on that outfit instead of lessons and training." That's NOT to deter anyone from splashing out on something they love to wear.... just to clarify the vast difference between dressage judging and hunter judging. In the dressage world, professional but tending-toward-conservative attire says, "look at our ABILITY". (And a simple black or brown coat with cream shirt can certainly do that.)
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I agree with Chisamba and Lost at C...if I see someone all blinged out I think "I hope they can ride as good as they look".

Having said that I changed to a cream theme last year. Mostly because I felt like the Staypuff Marshmellow Man in white I wear cream breeches, gloves, stocktie and saddle pad with black helmet and boots. It is a little different from the rest, not too showy and I think flattering for us. Here is a picture from last weekend:

http://www.blumefarm.com/images/504_...IMG_3122lr.jpg
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    I agree with Chisamba and Lost at C...if I see someone all blinged out I think "I hope they can ride as good as they look".

Having said that I changed to a cream theme last year. Mostly because I felt like the Staypuff Marshmellow Man in white I wear cream breeches, gloves, stocktie and saddle pad with black helmet and boots. It is a little different from the rest, not too showy and I think flattering for us. Here is a picture from last weekend:

http://www.blumefarm.com/images/504_...IMG_3122lr.jpg
    Where did you find the cream breeches/show shirt? I LOVE the look!

Thanks! I get lots of compliments at the shows. I got my breeches from Amira. They are cream Pikeur Mondega breeches. It can take a while to get them so order well in advance of needing them (like months). My saddle pad is from Seamsright, gloves and stock tie from Dressage Extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Where did you find the cream breeches/show shirt? I LOVE the look!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Thanks to everyone that gave advice.

I dress to impress myself and feel good about my presentation. It has nothing to do with others or the judge. I'm starting to see things more like Luccassb in that I spend hours on my riding, fitness & diet and I think going in to a show looking polished and elegant is another piece of the performance and part of the whole picture.

Is it necessary? Of course not. But as an adult amateur with a job and a family, I enjoy that aspect. However, I don't dress up much in real life and I have little to no color coordination skills. Hence, my question about white and cream clashing!

At a show last weekend, I saw a rider in her 70's with a large blingy browband & a flashy outfit and I didn't think "I hope she can perform", I thought "you go girl!"

Just to clarify, I'm not going for flashy but elegant.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's totally fine to be all matchy if you want -- I confess I have a wee bit of fun, although part of my fun is horrifying the DQs when I use a *gasp* navy pad in the sandbox, hee.

But having scribed many times, Lucas, I can promise you, the judge really has no idea or memory of what colour you wear or how matchy you are. One clean, tidy horse is REALLY the same as the next. Especially after you watch 70 do the same pattern or variations of. They have SO MUCH to look at in very little time, I can tell you they cannot even say if the horse was braided or not, as long as his outline was neat and visible. And any GOOD judge is 100% evaluating your training and performance and gives 0% about how shiny your boots are. If you are clean and rule abiding, your "above and beyond" efforts will have absolutely zero effect on your placing. Promise.

That said, absolutely go outside the staid black and white mold! Mine is liver chestnut as well and although I go with the blue (in part because I also refuse to even put white things near horses whenever possible), even my navy pad has creamy trim and it's a beautiful contrast with his coat. (Omg, I can't believe my fashion hating self just said that. But I am an art snob, so there, now I can justify it, haha)

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Thanks! I get lots of compliments at the shows. I got my breeches from Amira. They are cream Pikeur Mondega breeches. It can take a while to get them so order well in advance of needing them (like months). My saddle pad is from Seamsright, gloves and stock tie from Dressage Extensions.
    Thank you!

I think cream is a lovely look, and am switching to cream and blue (rather than white / blue) on my blood bay.

I think it's good to match, and although some might differ in opinion -- mismatched colors seem like a needless oversight. As you said, you dress for yourself and to feel good about your show experience. That's great! Although what we wear doesn't really affect how well we ride (or don't) presentation is the cherry on top I was always taught that how I dress when I ride is important because it's a direct reflection on my trainer, horse, and ability. After all -- our sport is one that scores us on attention to detail! I say: dress in a way that makes you feel happy and successful

For cream I've gotten the plain silk stock from Dressage Extensions, breeches from Elizabeth G, shirt (ebay), and gloves are cream fox-hunting chamois from Horse Country. Oh, and the pad -- cream flannel with blue and gold military binding -- is from Seamsright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Well... I am a former hunter princess, so I am accustomed to caring about appearance as well as performance.

I understand that a lot of dressage riders kind of dismiss the whole subject, but I'll tell you the main reason why hunter people put so much time and care into putting together a really gorgeous appearance - and it's not purely vanity.

It's because they know that a really pulled together, attractive appearance says to the judge, "Look at us; we are completely prepared and our performance is going to blow you away. I am your winner."

That doesn't mean that they think a pretty coat is going to make up for a horse being on the forehand, or blowing a lead change or any other deficiency or mistake. It's about making a good first impression, and maybe getting the edge if all other things are equal.

Now, in the hunters, there is no scribe taking down comments and generally the judge isn't scoring as they go, other than to make their own notes about the round to help them remember each ride when they go to pin the class; a really pretty coat or a particularly polished appearance can help the judge recall a performance when it comes time to hand out ribbons.

That is obviously different than what a dressage judge is doing, as they score each movement during the actual ride, and the ribbons get handed out based on the math scores that result. But I still think that it makes perfect sense to show up looking like you "mean it," and are prepared to put in a really polished performance.

As my old coach used to say, "there are so many things you just can't control when you are in the ring showing. But dressing the part and looking like the winner is something you CAN control. Why wouldn't you give yourself every edge?"
    TOTALLY agree with this post! Get a look that says Look at us! Like the last paragraph says Give yourself the Edge!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

to the OP i say enjoy your dressing yourself, and i hope you have fun and like the way you look, but if your breeches or a coat is going to give you the edge over training, gaits, and relaxation, then i guess it is time for me to give up my sport.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I think I would draw a distinction between, "polished," and "blinged out," or "flashy." There is a difference between showing up looking well put together and elegant, and showing up with attire that blinds people from halfway across the arena.

I'd also emphasize that being well turned out doesn't replace the elements of a good performance; it simply adds to them.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    But having scribed many times, Lucas, I can promise you, the judge really has no idea or memory of what colour you wear or how matchy you are. One clean, tidy horse is REALLY the same as the next. Especially after you watch 70 do the same pattern or variations of. They have SO MUCH to look at in very little time, I can tell you they cannot even say if the horse was braided or not, as long as his outline was neat and visible. And any GOOD judge is 100% evaluating your training and performance and gives 0% about how shiny your boots are. If you are clean and rule abiding, your "above and beyond" efforts will have absolutely zero effect on your placing. Promise.
    Trainer is an ex-judge, she noticed every minute detail about rider & horse turnout - it all forms part of the general impression: appearance won't overwhelm performance, but if you think it's not important, you haven't been watching enough higher level competitions ...