The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns in NYC/LI area

My daughter wants to start riding again after a few years away from showing and after having gone through treatment for a medical condition. She's planning to lease a horse and eventually maybe purchase, but we're looking at barns now and Long Island is probably where she will end up since her boyfriend lives there and she'll be able to visit both her beasts in the same area

Thought I'd come here to ask about facilities. One place that's on the radar is C.W. Post (aka North Shore Equestrian Center I think?) Training is obviously important, but if anyone can provide insight into the care, footing and turnout there, I'd appreciate it since those are very important to us. Won't be visiting around for another week or so. PM me if you prefer. Thanks!

PM sent.

Do a search! Lots of good threads.

Does she have a car? Not much by way of public transportation to any barn, but I've been incredibly lucky with hourly car rentals through Zipcar or Hertz on Demand.

I think we've talked before and, as you know, I ride in NJ. I'm partially to NJ over Westchester and LI because I've found it quicker and less expensive. Is LI a must?

Don't think we've talked? But yes prefer LI, yes to car
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Hunter's Moon is very close to the city and nicely run. Jenn Griffith is the barn manager and Pamela Polk is one of the head pros and I think Mario Delauriers is teaching there as well.

North Shore is a nice location--I managed a big USHJA Trainer Certification clinic there, and it's a good facility. It sounds like your daughter will need a thoughtful approach and exactly the right horse. Sending you a PM.

CW Post isn't bad. The turnout isn't great.

I find Hunter's Moon and Old Westbury are gorgeous, but super crazy expensive. If that's not an issue, great.

Red Barn is also a good choice.

All the above are near CW Post.

Further East you have Stanhope and Thomas' School of Horsemanship.

I'm at a low-key, small barn. We show sometimes, but it is definitely not a show barn. The care is good and my horses get about twice the turnout time as they would at one of the above barns. You can PM me if you are interested.

Avoid Brookville Farms for many reasons. Jamaica Bay, as well, though that's Brooklyn. The care is sub-par, though it's not immediately apparent at Brookville Farms...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I appreciate all the valuable input!

How far out is she willing to go? My semi-retired pony is at Two Trees in Water Mill (more or less in Bridgehampton) and it is just wonderful. I flew up from Florida last week to visit him and it's the happiest I've seen him in a long time! The staff and facilities are to die for and there is a great selection of trainers. If it's not too much of a hike, it is *definitely* worth it!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Wish we could do the Hamptons! Alas, not now...