The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seizure in GS Mix - Experiences?

Well, my almost 7 year old GS/Sharpei mix had a grand mal seizure on Sunday pm. Lasted about 2 minutes. He's been fine ever since, did take him to the vet to be tested for metabolic causes (none showed in his bloodwork). The vet (who I am not necessarily wowed by) said to wait and see if he has any more (which, after internet research, seems to be the next step).

I understand these seizures have many causes; was wondering if anyone used natural (i.e. herbs, etc.) to help control? Since he's only had one episode that I know of (although there were two times over the past two years there he had peed/pooped in the house, which he *never* does, and I know wonder...)

The reason I was not wowed by the vet was, even though we do not know the trigger for the seizure, she kept pushing heartworm meds on me. I told her I wanted to do more research (yes, he was tested and is negative) before I started dumping toxins into him.

Thanks! I feel like I am in a holding pattern with this...he may never have another one, or he may have inherited something from his GS background.

Statistically about half the dogs seen for a first seizure don't have another one. So, frustrating as it is, waiting is the normal step at this point.

I couldn't tell where you're located, but in many parts of the country using heartworm prevention is important. If you're using any of the ivermecterin based orals, the dose of medication is small and in and out of the body.

Thanks...I am in MI. It's good to know those statistics...of course, the vet didn't tell me that even though I did ask. Also, the vet clinic has all the really toxic types of heartwormer...don't know the brands, latest & greatest in that it kills everything and prevents fleas and ticks. Don't want to go that route. Was thinking something with ivermecterin, and she will get it for me. My dog has tested clean for the three years I've had him, but I also know the risk, especially if we have a wet normal year here.

Agree wait and see. Its not "common" to have one seizure, but its certainly not unheard of and many idiopathic causes can trigger (ie. viral). However, if it happens again, I would consult with a neurologist. Likely recommend MRI of the brain +/- CSF tap to rule out tumor, edema, infectious cause etc. Or if you dont have the finances they may just try medical management with keppra, phenobarb etc and follow up on tapering doses. Im sure you could find a vet who is into holistics too if thats what you prefer.

It's very possible he wacked his head on the coffee table..I was in the other room, heard a loud thump, I yelled at him, then a moment later heard scratching, which was him seizing. He tends to get into trouble, so just maybe he was trying to eat something under the table and came out too fast. Or he had a seizure from being a GS mix. Sigh. If he wasn't such a good dog - even my husband likes him; I was fostering him for a rescue (they yanked him out of a shelter at the last minute) and found out he is totally off leash obedience trained. Someone put lots of time into him; I've been tempted to post on CL that he's safe, but don't want the previous owners visiting and getting him upset (he's very sensitive).

Have you had thyroid levels checked? Hypothyroidism can cause seizures.