The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moving to a New House With a Kitteh

I am asking this for a friend of mine. He and his family are moving to a new house this weekend. The movers are coming on Saturday to pack up everything, and Sunday they will come back and actually move everything out. The family will spend Sunday night at the home of friends (who will be away but will leave their dog and 2 cats at home), and move into the new house on Monday.
    My friend is worried about how to keep his cat safe and happy during the move. We are trying to figure which, if any, of the following plans will work best for my friend's cat. I have just learned today that on the Saturday, the people who are moving into my friend's old house want to come over and "measure". They would HAVE to be kept locked out of Kitty's bathroom.
    Here are the ideas so far:
    1) Lock Kitty, with food, water, and litter box, in the bathroom off his bedroom at the old house, let no one go in there; then, when everyone else is out of the house, go in, get Kitty, put her in her crate, move her to the friends' house, shut her up there in a bathroom and allow no one in but him; repeat the whole process on Sunday to the new house and shut her in his bathroom there 'til the moving men have gone and the family are settled in.
    2) Lock Kitty, with food, water, and litter box, in the bathroom off his bedroom, as in Plan 1; then, when the moving men and the other family members have gone, he could camp out Saturday night alone in the house with Kitty in the bathroom, keeping her company, and then, on Monday, after the movers have finished at the new house and the rest of the family are settled in, he would load her and drive her directly to the new house.
    3) Before the movers ever arrive at the old house to pack up, he could bring Kitty to my place, where we could shut her away from my 2 cats, with her own food and water and litter box; then he could go help his family with the move and come back for Kitty the next day when he is rested (and she is probably a nervous wreck!).
    4) Same as #3, except he would come to my place and stay with Kitty, my cats, and me until his family are all settled in the new house, which would mean he could be with Kitty and comfort her; or he could stay at my place with her and my 2 kitties and I could go help his family with the move.
    5) Board Kitty for the duration at the vet's. Not my recommendation, but several friends have recommended it and maybe it would be the best thing? Kitty gets hysterical traveling (the only place she ever goes is to the vet's, for annual vaccinations and as needed).
    He says he will work something out but he is very stressed out about this. The above 4 have been my recommendations to him, based on my own history of moving with cats and things I have read.
    Do any of you have any additional suggestions? Do any of the above plans sound good?
    Please respond! Thanks.
    Last edited by Wellspotted; May. 19, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I vote for number 2, least stressful for kitty. Otherwise I'd board at the vets.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I would not trust movers or 'measurers' to stay out of the bathroom.

If the bathroom door gets opened and an exterior door is also coincidentally opened, kitty could go bye bye and then your friend will have the problem of finding and capturing kitty when he no longer resides at the address...
    not likely to have a good outcome.

Any option where kitty is crated up and moves to a safe location, preferably with cat knowledgable people, in a quiet, safe lockdown before the house gets torn apart by strangers would be my pick.

1 members found this post helpful.

2 and 3 are my best picks too (I think your option was pretty close to my #3, right, D_BaldStockings?

Yes, I would say 3, if you can stand the loud complaints and lack of sleep!

Here's what I did with my recent move:

Day one - movers moved everything except large furniture and cleared out 1 spare bedroom. Kitties stayed in my bedroom (which was not touched) and were fine about it. The next day, I moved kitties into spare bedroom with carriers, litter boxes, and food/water. Kitties were NOT happy, very stressed. Movers moved everything out of one house and into the next. That night, I moved kitties into new house and let them out immediately since everything was in place. Very stressed kitties. One started coming out within an hour. Another came out a few hours later. Third came out the next day. Fourth came out the second day. The last took about a week to get comfy.

With my experience, I think I would have cleared out my bedroom very first and locked the kitties up in there. They were not distressed in the least having to spend a day in there, but were in the spare bedroom.

1 members found this post helpful.

He has decided to go with Plan 2 and is camping out tonight in the old house with Kitty. Tomorrow he plans to finish loading the truck, then crate Kitty and load her, drive to the new house, lock her safely away in their new bathroom with her food, water, litterbox, and something of his to sleep on, unload the truck and return it, then come home to the new house and chill out with her. She has been pretty stressed yesterday and today with movers in the house, and "thought outside the box" once, but she is safe, and has her "Pops" with her tonight, so, so far so good!

Thank you all for all your feedback!
    Last edited by Wellspotted; May. 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM.

Update: Thanks again, everybody! Move accomplished successfully, Kitty and her Pops are in their new home.

Now if I can just get him back to the barn, and on a horse ...