The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help with a name + update on CANTER mare (w/ pics!)

Soo, I posted here last week on the TB mare that was listed on CANTER that I ended up taking home.

Still planning on doing a blog tracking her progress but I'm still only half way done, I spend every minute I'm not working at the barn lol.

I took some pictures yesterday as well as a few today on my cell phone, just thought I'd share

Today at the barn:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/20ab4ol.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/339ojyr.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/345k3k8.jpg

And last Thursday, her first day off the track:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/xcvs5k.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/i1jg1u.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2mi4vx0.jpg

I think she looks better already! But I'm a little biased.
    She's getting hay 3x a day so she almost always has food in front of her and I'm going out daily to handwalk and graze her as well as groom her and cold hose her leg.

I've been calling her Nip, need a new name ASAP before she's stuck as Nip. Please help COTHers <3

Her sire is Formal Gold and her dam is Nip. I wouldn't mind something influenced by her sire's name. Mostly need a barn name but show names ideas are welcome too.

Thanks,
    Mira

PS. For those of you who read my last thread, Dexter is all better! Gave him IV fluids for three days as well as medication and he's on special kitty food for his bladder/urinary tract.

OOoh, she's beeeyoutiful.

Can' think of a barn name, unless you want to be silly and call her Goldilocks.

What about Formally for a show name then something like Annie or Molly (thinking of short girl names that sound like they end similarly to "Formally") for a barn name?

But then again I'm big on 1 or 2 word show names and that's not everyone's cup of tea. Would sound nice being announced though: "Next in the ring is Mi, riding Formally"

I dunno, her registered name has Nip in it. Everybody has always called her Nip. Can she keep her identity? Or at least a short, single syllable word that sounds like it like Bit, Tip, Pip or similar?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ramona first came to my mind when I saw her, I dunno why.
    Or how about Pippy or Pippa? Kind of close to Nip.
    Very pretty mare!

She looks soooo much happier. She's really blossoming. No thoughts on a name, but have fun with her.

Pip is really cute! Formally Pip is a cute show name.

Glad to hear Dex is all better! What a scare!

As I said in the other thread, I think "Nip" is an adorable name and I vote to keep it! She is a beautiful girl. Congrats!

She's lovely, and I vote to keep her JC name and continue calling her Nip. It's a cute name.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

It's very easy for a horse to learn a new name, just transition over a couple weeks, e.g., if you choose Piper as her new bar name, you just go
    blah blah blah Nip-Piper blah blah blah Nip-Piper
    then start replacing the end Nip-Piper with just Piper
    then gradually phase out Nip altogether
    She'll then know both names & eventually just lock onto the Piper.

Not advocating Piper, it just suited my example

Great news about Dexter - if you've got the time, go on to the Cat forums & learn more about this issue in neutered male cats; do monitor his urine output & talk to your vet about the pH sensitive litters (though they are discussed on the kitty forums too )

(PS I'd be losing the Nip pretty fast)

I like Nip as a barn name. Actually I like her registered name as a show name too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming!

JumpsJumps, I also like one word show names and just simple names. I even shortened my own when I signed up for COTH, lol. I've always liked the name Century, I don't know why lol. Molly is cute, but sadly it's the name of the pony stalled across from her.

Regarding the possible name confusion, I don't think her track trainer called her Nip... I've just called her that because it's a shortened version of her JC name. Her trainer always called her "the mare" and his assistant called her "filly." As you can guess, they're not really the sentimental type. Tbh though, I've never come across a horse who was confused or agitated by being called a name that was not his own. They typically respond to treats and dinner time.. and they'll respond to your voice if they have nothing better to do.

- Mira

1 members found this post helpful.

I am thinking of a certain glamorous, slim, dark haired beauty with gorgeous eyes who is the sister in law of the future King of England and about to be aunt to another future monarch.

Pippa. Great barn name. Maybe show name too in this day of short, one word show names.

ETA, OMG, I just had access to something I could pull the pics up with. She's going to finish out on the elegant side for sure...and while the above referenced Pippa would consider this an insult-she putting on weight and what a nice hip on her. Quite an improvement in just a week.
    Last edited by findeight; May. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Another vote for Formally! Sounds classy and isn't hard for the announcer to pronounce.

What about "Nora" as a barn name? Close to Formally but not Nip or Molly haha... she just has a soft look about her the name jumped out at me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like Nora - keeps the N sound, but is a little warmer (and no negative connotation)

I always like keeping the JC name. That way if a person really likes her, or if she's a world beater, they can find her relatives. It's good for her whole family if she keeps her name.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I vote Nip, Pip, or Pippa for a barn name. I also like Formally.

I like Nora too, but it reminds me of a thing my husband remembers from school. They used to call the school nurse Nitty Nora the Head Explorer because of when the nurse checks heads for lice.

I don't think my horse (or any I've owned) has a clue what her name is. Do some horses really recognize their names?

ETA- to the OP, she definitely looks better and has put on weight, good luck with your girl!

Do some horses really recognize their names?
    Absolutely