The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Late/strange heat cycles this year?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if people are finding that their mares are cycling much later than usual this year, or having strange (different) heat cycles than in the past?

We have had a very long, dark cold winter up here and my mares not only came into heat much later, but one that had ovulated was still appearing transitional, another got two huge follicles (55s) when she didn't get out of the 30s last year, etc.

I have spoken with clients from down south and they said they were having similar issues. Just wondered if anyone here was dealing with this?

I didn't put anyone under lights, but I've never done it and have always been able to breed by mid-April with no problems. Mother nature is certainly throwing a wrench in my plans this year, as my stallion leaves for training at the end of the month and won't be collected after that. :-(
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Yes, I FINALLY got my first two in foal... Weird LONG cycles, slow growing follicles. Just weird. I'm still battling with one mare, but she seems to be getting a little bit more "normal".
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Glad you got two in foal Dressage Diva! We did breed one last week, but it was after a long cycle that was very uncharacteristic of that mare. I'm really hoping it took. (A friend leased the same mare one year and bred her at the end of January and she took! That's how sure a thing she has been in the past. )

We are ultrasounding two more tomorrow evening with slow growing follicles. But, we know that they have ovulated at least once, so hoping they are ready to breed this weekend.

I definitely had two mares that started very late this year. I actually ad to ultra sound one of them just to 'see where we were at' so I could try and get this year started. She was working on a couple of big follicles with out any other signs of heat ... Ugh. Took a few weeks but we finally got her bred. We shall see in another week if she took

Very odd year here in the sunny south, as well.

I am not breeding anyone till June at the earliest....
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

Quote Originally Posted by MuskokaLakesConnemaras View Post
    I am not breeding anyone till June at the earliest....
    This will be me next year. I am definitely extending my stallion's breeding season into the summer next year and will wait until my mares have cycled several times before breeding. .

We did get the other two bred last weekend, and the cycle seemed more normal. We will know in two weeks!

I'm in Michigan and ours seem pretty normal. Bred my reining mare on her foal heat and she's confirmed. Trainers other mares all seem about the same as last season. However....all foaled about a 10 to 14 days later than in the past.

Default Yes!

I am in the northeast and the mares are in some sort of super heat now! Same thing about 3-4 weeks ago. One mare was in heat for over two weeks. We don't breed them, just ride/show them. They are kinda insane at times which I have never seen in the 14 years I have owned one of them.... Weird...

I'd posted earlier asking about "transitional heats" as my AQHA mare was in heat for about 16 days. We'd started breeding her every other day, and just kept up with that (and kept our fingers crossed). Vet was out last week and ultrasounded and hurray, she is in foal.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Default YES!!!!!

My one TB mare ALWAYS ovulated early 40's. Yesterday she was sitting on a 52 and is showing "0" signs of even being in until the stallion is literally climbing on her back! The vet felt she would go last night due to edema and the shape / appearance of the follicle

I have clients mares in for breeding that are showing every sign of being a breed NOW!!! who dont even have a 20 in there, so sure cant rely on them to tell me when they should be bred and need to get the vet in constantly.

Another mare showed "0" signs of being in (and my stallion is paddocked right next to them, 10 feet away, and the mares usually migrate over to that side of their paddock and stay close to him all day long when they are in and getting ready to breed). She was at a 42 and ready to go with again - "0" signs.

VERY frustrating, very labour intensive to figure them out and costly - ultrasound wise too. Have no idea what is going on

But again - we have weather in the 70's and low 80's and then 30 and snow. And then weather in the 60's and 70's and then back down to 30-40's once again

We dont know what the Hell is going on with Mother Nature and Im sure the mares are all equally as puzzled ...

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Here too

In the Maritimes we're just getting mares confirmed in foal now, We had one Jan baby last year and the rest were early March. (We are not breeding the same mares this year) Not my farm but I board at a QH breeding farm.

Mares had everything from 14 days of being 'in heat' to one mare having a 1 or 2 day in heat period every cycle (since January). I think the first baby next year will arive in late april?

I put my 13 y/o maiden mare under lights the 2nd week in January, she blew her coat and started cycling in early March, like clockwork every 20 days, and (happy dance) acted like a perfect little estrus machine all spring and conceived on one go in early May. I didn't try to breed any earlier since early spring here can be miserably cold and I don't want a foal born in horrid weather if I can possibly help it.

The other mare we bred, same thing. She didn't go under lights, but she is only 6.

The one mare (age 16) is giving the vets all sorts of trouble, but her owner made up her mind late and is now playing catch up.
    Click here before you buy.

I posted this under the black dot thread too, but since I started this thread, I thought I would share my good news! Two of three of my mares are now confirmed in foal to my stallion--finally! The other one just did not want to cycle regularly before he left for training, so she will have to wait until next year.

Hope everyone else who was having trouble is now having better luck. The weather just dipped AGAIN and it is back to very cold in mid-Michigan. Such a crazy spring!