The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default facilities around New York/Long Island

IF you were looking to rent a facility within 2 or 3 hour drive of Long Island NY, would anyone know where to begin looking? Anyone know of anything? Need to be minimal of about 15 acres, barn, etc. To move a full facility to basically.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Are you looking for something on Long Island or do you want to drive to it?
    Five Star Tack

Either works, but I need an entire barn....lol. and pasture. Looking at what might be available, as we might be being transferred.
    www.mmceventing.com

Still need some clarification. Is one family member working on Long Island and you need a barn in daily commuting distance? Or is there something on Long Island you need access to very rarely, like once a month?

Long Island is a difficult place to commute to if you're considering having a barn elsewhere and driving in daily. In that case I would limit your search to LI itself.

The problem is getting on and off Long Island because the traffic is horrible, especially between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Plus there is very little, if any eventing left on Long Island if that's what you do. I grew up on Long Island and while there were a few good events at that time I spent many hours stuck in traffic trying to get off Long Island to get to an event. You never know how long it's going to take to get anywhere and unless you have an unlimited budget you are probably going to wind up on the east end where it's a bit cheaper and more land is available.

If you're not going to be leaving the Island then try it but otherwise I'd look into New Jersey. Sorry to be such a downer!
    Five Star Tack

there's an area around West Hills that has a number of small horse properties with paddock-sized turnouts, and you can hack to a state park with trails. I used to ride at Stanhope, a boarding/lesson barn in the area, and I'd drive past these properties. I have no idea what they cost or how often they're for sale.

You don't have to answer but are you rather wealthy? Because land on Long Island is one thing they aren't making more of. listings found at http://www.lihorseproperties.com/lih...php?view=list]
    I see a house & barn on 12 acres in Acquebogue, which is a good 2 hour drive from from Queens in good traffic, for 1.6 million. House with barn in brookhaven in 2.3 acres, $880,000.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

NO, not wealthy, not close. I am thinking prolly NJ. My husband is going to work there, and probably get a studio, but it would be nice if he could make it home on weekends anyway. Just checking it out. And yes, we event, and yes, we would be leaving a lot. So definetly thinking OFF island.
    www.mmceventing.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelloAgain View Post
    there's an area around West Hills that has a number of small horse properties with paddock-sized turnouts, and you can hack to a state park with trails. I used to ride at Stanhope, a boarding/lesson barn in the area, and I'd drive past these properties. I have no idea what they cost or how often they're for sale.

You don't have to answer but are you rather wealthy? Because land on Long Island is one thing they aren't making more of. listings found at http://www.lihorseproperties.com/lih...php?view=list]
    I see a house & barn on 12 acres in Acquebogue, which is a good 2 hour drive from from Queens in good traffic, for 1.6 million. House with barn in brookhaven in 2.3 acres, $880,000.
    There is NO such thing as "good traffic" on Long Island We lived there for 6 years. . . will never go back. Property taxes are unimaginable.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by gold2012 View Post
    NO, not wealthy, not close. I am thinking prolly NJ. My husband is going to work there, and probably get a studio, but it would be nice if he could make it home on weekends anyway. Just checking it out. And yes, we event, and yes, we would be leaving a lot. So definetly thinking OFF island.
    If you want to event and have access to area 2 trainers/events then NJ will be your best option. Obviously the farther you go from NYC the cheaper it will be... I'm sure someone on Coth knows the horsey areas of NJ better than I do and can offer town suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    There is NO such thing as "good traffic" on Long Island .
    My orig post had a note like "*occurs once a year, at 3am on the third wednesday in March." LOL.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Long Island would be completely out for you. The horse industry is mostly just a few pockets of hunter and dressage riders these days. When I was growing up there were a couple of fun horse trials that had levels up to prelim or so, but those days are long gone and the land is all condos. There is nothing in the way of eventing anymore. That means you'd have to travel upstate, Jersey, or CT - all of which will take you at least 4+++ hours to get to a competition; and driving on and off the island with a horse trailer is NOT easy driving; it's downright scary.

New Jersey is not exactly cheap either. You'll have to really work out a budget and see what you can work out. Northern New Jersey is home to some beautiful farms and some of the best jumper riders in the country (like Margie Engle, etc). That area is probably a 3-4 hour drive from central Long Island (assuming normal traffic). However, as stated, this is an extremely expensive area.

Upstate New York may also be something to look into. More affordable (but still expensive). You would still be looking at anywhere from 3-6 hour commute from LI depending on where you move to. It's more 'rural' living there and prices are less mind boggling. It is also an easier commute to the events that are upstate and in CT, Mass, or Pennsylvania.

Speaking of Pennsylvania - cheaper farms there, and you'll be in event rider country. Probably about 3-6 hour drive from LI depending on areas (obviously it's a big state). This would probably be the best bet of all.