The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Credit Card's killer sentanced to 20 years

Good.

Justice is served in the brutal 2011 slaying of the roping horse, Credit Card. His killer, William "Billy" Hamilton, Jr., was sentenced to 20-years in the lock up, after he pleaded guilty for his crimes in Oklahoma.

He entered the guilty plea to 4 felonies including cruelty to animals, knowingly concealing stolen property, transporting stolen property into the state, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/c...sentenced.aspx
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

8 members found this post helpful.

Good news! I hope they understand that predators like these scumbags will soon escalate to humans and deny them every possibility of parole. They need to be locked up until they are too old to lift a finger.

I remember Credit Card, was he not the victim of a woman scorned? (or a deranged woman who thought she had some sort of relationship with the the owner) And these other excuses for human beings, including this particular guy, were the co-conspirators.

It's a good message to send, my sympathies to Credit Card's owner and connections. The poor horse never deserved to suffer such a fate, and why someone who wasn't as nuts as the gal would participate in such an act is beyond me.

ETA Story as I remember it. http://www.dreamindemon.com/2011/12/...d-credit-card/
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Well, the first article linked says the horses were stolen in order to re-sell to get money to buy the girl a better barrel horse. However the girl ended up testifying against her mother. While Hamilton, who actually killed Credit Card, got 20 years, Cox (the girl's mother), who was in on it, got 60 years. What's up with that?

I thought all three were in on it and the girl got her mother and the guy to help. I thought it was a woman scorned thing, girl wanted revenge on Credit Card's owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Well, the first article linked says the horses were stolen in order to re-sell to get money to buy the girl a better barrel horse. However the girl ended up testifying against her mother. While Hamilton, who actually killed Credit Card, got 20 years, Cox (the girl's mother), who was in on it, got 60 years. What's up with that?
    Probably the other offences weighed more.
    I don't for a moment think that the animal cruelty was the reason for the 20 yrs. There were weapons felonies, that would explain the heavy sentence. Hell, the theft probably was more important in that sentence than actually killing the animal.

1 members found this post helpful.

Right, he had weapons felonies and got 20 years. She got *60* years.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Probably the other offences weighed more.
    I don't for a moment think that the animal cruelty was the reason for the 20 yrs. There were weapons felonies, that would explain the heavy sentence. Hell, the theft probably was more important in that sentence than actually killing the animal.
    Unfortunately, all too true. If there were only animal cruelty charges all they would have received is a $50 fine and perhaps 20 hours of community service, if that.

IIRC, the mom also had some cattle thefts she was sentenced for as well as being the one who planned the whole thing and lying to authorities about her daughter being raped. She may have prior legal issues that factored in. Thrilled to see heavy sentences even if the length of time given have little to do with animal cruelty. Have they sentenced the skanky daughter yet?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I believe the daughter pled to a 20 year sentence after seeing mom get 60. Mom appeared to be the ring leader. There were several cattle thefts as well as the thefts of the horses. People down here that knew them say they were just pure de ol' white trash. They caught the dude because he stole the cattle and gave the sale barn his name and address so they could send the check.

That STILL doesn't explain why they killed a potentially valuable horse and left the rest tied to trees to starve to death. If you steal them to sell them don't you want to move them quickly?

I think there's plenty more to it and, well, they didn't get what they deserved but they got a sentence that isn't a joke. What a disgusting bunch.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I honestly think the horse theft was totally instigated by the girl and was done purely for revenge. The group is still facing charges in Oklahoma. I know the state police investigator and the mom's lawyer so I'll have to ask them what happened to the OK charges.

Even though the sentences were for other acts, I am so glad these people got a stiff sentence.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Good news! I hope they understand that predators like these scumbags will soon escalate to humans and deny them every possibility of parole. They need to be locked up until they are too old to lift a finger.
    I am very much in favor of the death penalty. I am sure people will say "WHAT?! It's "only" an animal..." But, we have to also consider, what comes of these people in society no matter how much or how little time they serve? Does anyone want them around their pets/children/spouse/elderly parents? Do you want them following you out of a store into a dark parking lot? Bear in mind that a lot of felons get jobs caring for animals and the elderly when they are released...me personally, I don't want my tax dollars feeding and housing scumbags. I would much rather that if they fed anybody, feed someone who has contributed to society and now needs help, or their animals.

Ruby, I really can't agree more. The idea of my tax money used to support them for twenty years: feeding, housing, and entertaining them, disgusts me. Unfortunately, regardless whether that is what they deserve, giving them an injection, which is far more humane than what they bestowed on the horses and their owners, is still a fantasy in this society.... The only thing we can hope for is a looong sentence.... Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Ruby, I really can't agree more. The idea of my tax money used to support them for twenty years: feeding, housing, and entertaining them, disgusts me. Unfortunately, regardless whether that is what they deserve, giving them an injection, which is far more humane than what they bestowed on the horses and their owners, is still a fantasy in this society.... The only thing we can hope for is a looong sentence.... Sigh.
    Well that and a chummy roommie who likes horses.
    I understand that the population in the pokey doesn't take well to people who are in for doing bad things to animals and kids.
    Maybe they should have though of that before they stole and killed these horses? Too late baby...
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/