The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Name that Color!

Mom is chestnut, dad is apparently a red dun (QHs)... These are the only 2 pics I have...guesses?

Mane and tale look decently dark, but I know nothing about foal coloring honestly... *please not chestnut, please not chestnut* lol

**yes, this is the aforementioned foal for a playmate.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps632594f4.png

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...psaf97a7fb.png

UPDATED at 5months old: http://s717.photobucket.com/user/vba...20at%205months
    Last edited by Irish_Love; Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

are you positive dad is a red dun? Can you get a closer view of this guys lower legs? He is most likely red dun but he's looking suspiciously bay-like (probably still dun). Dun can really push leg black way way down

I wish. The owner bought mom unknowingly in foal, as she was knocked up by a backyard "I thought he was too young to breed" qh while with the seller. I asked specifically if the sire was red or bay dun, and she indicated red, but I thought the mane and tail looked a bit dark.

Ah, gotcha. I've seen red duns that had pretty dark manes and tails, but his darkness looks too "not-red". Could be lighting or my monitor. If you get him, get a good close up of his pastern area

The sire *could* be a bay dun and the owners are just calling him a red dun.

For example, this filly is being called a red dun which, to me, she is obviously bay based.

Updated pics *bump* definitely looks NOT red... so just regular ole Bay or bay dun? How can you tell on a foal?

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...psf0b28261.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps10445487.jpg

I see bay dun. It'll be easier to tell once the baby fuzz is gone, but at this point the dark head and yellowish body color say dun to me.
    Life is short. Ride your best horse first.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bay dun. Bay for sure, and while it's possible sooty count be strengthening the dorsal stripe, the color tone in the first pics, as well as these current ones, tell me dun as well.

Bay.

I say bay dun, but I'm certainly no expert...
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Default UPDATED PICS?!?

Well now the daddy may be wrong so I'm up in the air. I guess I could just wait it out and see next spring, but the unknown is killin me lol

For those that will still entertain this question: here are some updated pics...what the hell color is he? I'm leading towards sooty buckskin now? Mom is a lighter chestnut (also pics in that album) with countershading dorsal stripe.

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/vba...20at%205months

Dun because of the dorsal stripe... maybe a sooty dun? Other than that I'm not sure what he'll turn out to look like. I'm not seeing the stripes on his legs or the shading over his shoulders and a face mask that is typical of a true dun...

My 1/2 QH (actually 1/4 QH because daddy was appendix) filly has had a dorsal stripe since she was born, and the likeliness of her being a dun is very very rare. Dam is liver chestnut and Sire is dark bay. People keep telling me she will loose the stripe and more than likely be a dark bay or seal brown... she changes colors each time she sheds so I'm in the same impatient boat as you...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    Dun because of the dorsal stripe... maybe a sooty dun? .
    Dorsal stripe does not always = Dun. I have two bays (no chance of dun since they are Arabs & Arab/WB crosses) who have pronounced dorsal stripes due to counter shading.

Kyzteke I was meaning Dun over buckskin because of the dorsal stripe. The horse won't be a buckskin but could be some shade of dun. In my second paragraph describing my own filly I go into how she's got the dorsal stripe but isn't a dun... so I fully understand how it is possible for bays and chestnuts to have a dorsal stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    Kyzteke I was meaning Dun over buckskin because of the dorsal stripe. The horse won't be a buckskin but could be some shade of dun. In my second paragraph describing my own filly I go into how she's got the dorsal stripe but isn't a dun... so I fully understand how it is possible for bays and chestnuts to have a dorsal stripe.
    Sorry...I was just responding to the first sentence of your post " Dun because of the dorsal stripe..."

You sounded pretty positive in that part...just skimmed the rest. My bad.

Well whatever he is, it's certainly not chestnut based, which means dad can't be the red dun (if he truly is a red dun).