The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default anatolian shepherd,smooth coat collie, phila,pa

I feel as though I am being an irresponsible owner if I don't do this, but it is breaking my heart.....
    need to re-home my Anatolian and my smooth coat collie......

for the third time in 4 years I am in the midst of a health crisis.....profound chronic anemia....the kind that requires multiple blood transfusions and iron infusions.....each time it happens, it is harder and takes longer to rebound........and for months I am physically and emotionally capable of vey little......recently just had to give up the horses ,because even with pasture coming in, I cannot care for them, hold for worming,farrier,clean stalls,etc..........

now it's down to the dogs, and I am at the end of my proverbial rope....................I can no longer walk them, but thankfully have a very large secure (for the dogs) fenced area......they are able to run and cavort, are brushed and loved.....but the two of them HATE HATE HATE cats,and unfortunately, the barn cats are not clever enough to realize that the fence is for their own protection......there is constant antagonistic behaviors from both species, and I have to be on high alert every time I take dogs out....it's like a war zone...and I cannot physically restrain dog(s) when a cat wanders into the forbidden zone..........this morning a cat didn't make it out, and I just about had a heart attack trying to break things up..........can't take it anymore, and I was really scared I was going to collapse afterwards......I live alone......
    both dogs are loving, good with my small dogs, good with my small grandchildren , good in the house..........both actually want to be lap dogs...........but they cannot tolerate cats.........at.all.never.ever.
    the Anatolian is a neutered male,100 lbs,about 4yrs (have to check is records), all UTD......was a rescue at about 18 months..........not sure how he would be as a working dog, as he loved to bark at the equines, but he is great as a watchdog/guard dog.........and loving,loving ,loving.........they do need to be handled a bit differently than other shepherd breeds, but it's not a big deal once you understand the mindset...........when indoors, he is my mooney-eyed Velcro dog, and also loves to stay close,even when in the yard...........

the collie is a smooth coat blue merle spayed female, 65 lbs, about 3 yrs(again, have to check records)UTD.......another rescue, she is food/toy aggressive with other dogs,but NOT people, and it is easily managed......she is a bit shy at first, but warms up quickly, LOVES kids, and LOVES to play......is very "talky" and expressive........great watchdog, good with my small dogs, fine with strangers......wants to be loved on, but is not quite Velcro level, although probably could become that,if an only dog in the household......

need to do this ASAP....not sure how long I will even stay here at the farm.............haven't even been able to get grass cut,it's 2 ft high.........
    can send pics to personal email accounts, can give more info if needed..........
    thanks

Working on the collie for you. Rescue OK? I'll stand by whoever I refer you to.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have a couple of calls out for the collie...I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

yes, laura, thanks

Tallyho, they want her! Here's the contact info, if you want to me to continue to stay involved, just PM me your contact info. I sent you my phone number and email address as well.

Absolutely! Either send me her contact info, or have her call us at 215 793 9298, or e-mail (with a picture) at collierescuesepa@yahoo.com Thanks for being the liaison! kate
    Last edited by LauraKY; May. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

thanks laura!..........I called the phone number, and the voicemailbox is full...LOL...!

I did check out their website last night, but couldn't get the form for surrendering a dog to print out...........
    I will just email directly...........also, have a COTHer interested....I am so grateful for the helpful responses from COTH

I'm asking around for the other dog, but all my contacts are collie rescues. If that doesn't work out for you, just shoot me a PM...a blue merle smoothie is very easy to place.

I would take her in a heartbeat,but I'm full up

Tallyho, PM'd you.

I knew lauraky would come through for the collie! Good work!