The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen eyelids

Today, I went out to the paddock and my horse has A LOT of clear ocular discharge and swelling under the eyelid of his left eye. The eye is almost all the way clamped as well. The globe of the eye looks good, though. I am calling the vet, but does anybody have any ideas in the meantime? There has been a lot of flies lately so not sure if that is a factor since it is only one eye. He does have a fly mask on. Thanks in advance.

Allergies?

My horse has terrible allergies - one eye will be puffy and drippy - just like a person with hayfever, etc.

He might have been stung by something, also.

Cold compresses if he'll tolerate it until the vet takes a look.

I'd guess allergies as well, as the same thing happens to my mare. But it's best to have the vet see it and put some dye in to see if there is an ulcer. Banamine helps tremendously.

Yep, my guy has had this happen with allergies in the spring. Only one eye does it.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I found my mare with one eye swollen shut twice in 2 weeks (same eye). Had a vet examine it both times to make sure it wasn't serious--both times the eye was fine, just swollen lids. Vets thought maybe an allergy. Responded fast to anti-inflammatories.

One of my horses was very allergic to Cedar tree pollen. One eye so so swollen. Gave him a 1/2 teaspoon of childrens benedryl to get it to come down and a very chilly face and body wash to get the pollen off of him.

1 members found this post helpful.

Interesting. One of my mares is going through this now and hubby is stuffed up like crazy too

Ive been irrigating the eye with distilled water, she has a fly mask on, vet said not to worry about it, I am hoping onc e pollen season is over all will be okay

Didnt think of the antihistamines - will give her some and see if it helps - thanks!

Yup, happens every year around this time. We joke about it being "graduation day" allergy. The first time it put us into a panic was the day of my oldest child's HS graduation party. Now 6 years down the road, sure to come in at night with one eye, just slightly puffy; swollen almost shut by morning.

We've got the drill down pat. Rinse eye and face with water, dose with benadryl, and apply cold pack for a few minutes several times a day. He now loves his cold pack and will lowers his head for it. If you catch it at the slightly puffy stage you can head off the full blown swollen shut eye.

Good luck, hope this too shall pass.

Do allergies ever turn into corneal ulcers for anyone? My horse has gotten corneal ulcers in June for the past 2 years. I suspect allergies are the cause of it. He came in yesterday with a slightly runny eye. I would like to be proactive and find something to stop it before it starts!

For those who give Benadryl, how much do you give?

PBJ, what did the vet find with your horse?

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Do allergies ever turn into corneal ulcers for anyone? My horse has gotten corneal ulcers in June for the past 2 years. I suspect allergies are the cause of it. He came in yesterday with a slightly runny eye. I would like to be proactive and find something to stop it before it starts!

For those who give Benadryl, how much do you give?
    My mare has a corneal ulcer in the eye that is affected by the allergies. Three seasons ago I had a tough time getting a vet to come out to look at her eye and it went 3-4 days before it was treated and I think that's when it developed . I thought it was a coincidence though, but maybe not. I'll ask my vet about it when we have him out to do allergy testing.

Another vote for allergies.

I have one horse that I generally start on an herbal allergy blend in April and it helps him tremendously.

Since he has all the signs of becoming IR, I started him on Animed's "Remission" in March.

It dawned on me the other day, that he is not having his usual allergy attacks. It has to be the Remission, somehow, someway.

Meaning, Remission is cheap and a lot of local feed stores carry it. It won't hurt the horse to try a tub. It comes with a scoop and I use two of those scoops daily on him.

I don't even pretend to try and understand the logistics, I just know Remission is working to keep his environmental allergies in check.