The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fallout from Godolphin doping bidness.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Who's Nellie... This big... https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidWalshST

Enke, denied Camelot the Triple Crown last year!!!

SportingLife May 20, 2013

Encke will now be banned from running for six months, meaning he cannot return to action until October 29.

The other six horses - Energizer, Genius Beast, Improvisation, Stamford, Steeler and Zip Top - will also be barred from racing until that date.

In beating Aidan O'Brien's charge by three-quarters of a length, Encke ended Camelot's chances of emulating Nijinsky, who was the winner of the 2000 Guineas, Derby and Leger in 1970.

The BHA confirmed Encke was routinely tested after finishing third in the Voltigeur at York and after his Doncaster triumph, with the colt returning negative results on both occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    SportingLife May 20, 2013

The BHA confirmed Encke was routinely tested after finishing third in the Voltigeur at York and after his Doncaster triumph, with the colt returning negative results on both occasions.
    The BHA also maintains that horses receive the beneficial effects of steroids for up to 6 months after they have been given them, which is why they banned the recent Godolphin horses from racing for 6 months.
    However, the recommended withdrawal time (in order to not get a positive test) for anabolic steroids, as per most US racing jurisdictions and Australian racing authorities is 4-6 weeks.
    So you can get beneficial effects for 6 months, but can't test positive after 4 weeks?
    Encke made his first start of the season last year in July. The St Leger was in mid Sept.
    You do the math.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    The BHA also maintains that horses receive the beneficial effects of steroids for up to 6 months after they have been given them, which is why they banned the recent Godolphin horses from racing for 6 months.
    However, the recommended withdrawal time (in order to not get a positive test) for anabolic steroids, as per most US racing jurisdictions and Australian racing authorities is 4-6 weeks.
    So you can get beneficial effects for 6 months, but can't test positive after 4 weeks?
    Encke made his first start of the season last year in July. The St Leger was in mid Sept.
    You do the math.
    Yes, this. Anyway, I don't think it's possible to DQ Encke at this point, but it does raise some questions and doubts.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

I believe the muscle building effects of anabolic steroids do last for quite a while after the steroids are no longer present in the blood.. Too late for a DQ, you have to catch them when they have it present in the bloodstream.

Many folks in Britain are unhappy about the Sheikh's horses wintering in the UAE, as steroids are legally given there..

Wonder if Black Caviar benefits from chemistry.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ds-race-horses

Really? They were caught. They did not "fall below his standards". His trainers use anabolics in the UAE where (until now) they were legal for horses in training as long as they didn't test positive on race day.

I wonder whether he is including endurance horses in this ban. He'd better do SOMETHING because the situation is becoming a disaster for him. http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...east-endurance

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    You do the math.
    This is stretching the topic, but I have always suspected that Secretariat was on steroids because he was so muscular. This long period of benefit compared to the short period of time to test positive could explain how it could have happened, combined with the fact that new steroids are developed all the time. I know that Penny Chenery said he was never doped, but it's possible she didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Wonder if Black Caviar benefits from chemistry.
    She's retired now so doesn't matter but Australia do have a very clean /zero tolerance for drug use so doubtful.

(and yes I am a huge fan of hers so want to think on the positive side! )

P.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    This is stretching the topic, but I have always suspected that Secretariat was on steroids because he was so muscular. This long period of benefit compared to the short period of time to test positive could explain how it could have happened, combined with the fact that new steroids are developed all the time. I know that Penny Chenery said he was never doped, but it's possible she didn't know.

You are indeed, stretching. With all due respect, not all Thoroughbreds fit into one stereotypical mold in regards to body type. I have two great great grandchildren of Secretariat in my barn and not only are they both dead-ringers for him in terms of looks, but they are both built like army tanks. The gelding is constantly mistaken for a warmblood because he is so muscular. His half-brother is also in my barn - also descended from Secretariat - and is built more like a "typey" Thoroughbred.

Assuming a horse is on steroids just because they are muscular is like assuming someone plays basketball just because they are tall. It's ridiculous and un-educated.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    She's retired now so doesn't matter but Australia do have a very clean /zero tolerance for drug use so doubtful.

P.

Really ? ; http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226629000016
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post

P.
    Aussie trainers are big users of anabolic steroids, they are not shy about admitting it either.
    Yes, a horse can't test positive for them on raceday, or they will be disqualified. But as pointed out earlier, the withdrawal time is 4-6 weeks, yet the horse could very well be receiving the benefits long after the withdrawal period.
    GB and Ire (and maybe Japan/HK) are the only places where out of competition testing is done on racehorses, so are the only places you can be busted for using anabolics outside of the withdrawal time.
    It does make one question the dominance of the Aussie sprinters when they go over to Royal Ascot.

As to the Secretariat question... he could very well have been on steroids, as they was no prohibition on their use back then. Big Brown and Curlin raced on steroids, and did so legally. It was Rick Dutrow gleefully telling the press during the TC trail that Big Brown was pumped up regularly, and the public backlash from that, that set off the current trend in US racing jurisdictions towards regulating A-Steroids

I always wondered whether Secretariat raced on steroids, not only because of his build, but because both he and his stablemate Riva Ridge initially had low sperm counts when they went to stud. Both, from the same racing stable? However, as was pointed out, steroids were not illegal then.

I don't believe Riva had a low sperm count but he was a "shy" breeder. At first anyway. HE obviously did not look like he was on steroids. Because Secretariat's build is so obvious even generations away from him, I think he was just a big muscular horse. And he stayed big and muscular (and unfortunately fat!) as a stallion.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

The Guardian 9-30-2013: "Godolphin stable orders inquiry into drug seizure; Thousands of pounds worth of anaesthetics, anti-inflammatories, sedatives and bute seized and destroyed at Stansted on 3 May"

A shipment of unlicensed veterinary drugs intended for use on horses, which was seized from a Dubai government jet at Stansted airport in Essex earlier this year, has sparked a major internal inquiry within the operations of Britain's biggest owner of racehorses.

Sheikh Mohammed, the monarch of Dubai and a major international figure in horse racing and breeding, has asked his junior wife, Princess Haya, to conduct an investigation into the seizure, which came to light following a similar raid at Moorley Farm in Newmarket last month, a location owned by the sheikh's Darley Stud.

Thousands of pounds worth of anaesthetics, anti-inflammatories, sedatives and bute – described as "potentially toxic and dangerous to horses" – were seized and destroyed at Stansted on 3 May following the arrival of a plane belonging to the Dubai Royal Air Wing. The airport is 30 miles from Newmarket, a global centre for thoroughbred racing and the UK headquarters of Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin operation, the UK's leading stable.
    Asking Princess Haya to conduct the investigation?

The Guardian 9-29-2013: "Sheikh Mohammed hit by new blow in grim year for Godolphin ruler"

[Princess Haya's spokesman] stated that no one within Sheikh Mohammed's operation has been contacted by the VMD since the seizure but blamed the drugs' presence on the plane on "an internal reporting error".

A BHA report in June found Zarooni was acting on his own and not under instruction from anyone within the Godolphin hierarchy. However, the two latest incidents suggest that there was either an ignorance of Britain's licensing rules for the use of veterinary products or a disregard of them. The goods seized at Stansted were incorrectly labelled as "horse tack" and destroyed following the seizure and it is the administration of the powerful sedatives, anaesthetics and anti-inflammatories that raises questions.

Don't be so judgemental. I totally understand how an innocent mistake like this could happen. Last week at Costco, I accidentally bought fifty pounds of aspirin and I didn't even notice as I was loading it into my car. I meant to buy just a bottle. I don't know how it happened. What are you gonna do?

I'm going to ask my Weimaraner to look into this and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of it.

4 members found this post helpful.