The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What can help the noise of a roar

Hi I'm new here and I'm sorry if there is already a similar thread but i guess i didn't find what I'm looking for.
    So i have a horse that has a roar. It doesn't seem to bother him when i ride him. He never shows that he doesn't want to work and he has no problem catching his breath. It is just really loud. Since he is an awesome hunter i was wondering if anyone here knows how to reduce the noise? At local shows judges don't care but at a rated horse shows some judges wont even place us... Anyone has any ideas?

Short of surgery to correct the issue, no, there's not going to be anything to reduce the noise.

I did think about the surgery but for now I don't want it because he is not having any trouble, it is expansive, and I'm scared of the complications after.
    Someone told me that glycerin can help the noise but it didn't work. I also read that a flair strip or wind-aid can help them breathe and help the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
    Someone told me that glycerin can help the noise but it didn't work. I also read that a flair strip or wind-aid can help them breathe and help the noise.
    Not so sure about the glycerin, but I have that the flair strip/wind-aid can help. However, I heard this while in a porta potty at a show (Over heard someone walking by talking about this) so I'm not so sure how accurate this is.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Simkie. His larynx has two flaps; one (I assume) of them is paralyzed, and the sound is made by air rushing (mainly) out of his trachea around the paralyzed flap. In a nonroarer, both flaps pulll out of the way as he breaths, so there's no excessive noise.

If you look at where a Flair strip lies, it's not going to do anything about the paralyzed laryngeal flap. Are they allowed in the hunter ring, in any event? Same with so-called wind aids. I have never heard about glycerin.

If it's not bothering him or you, beyond rated show placings, I wouldn't do the surgery either. It's not guaranteed to eliminate the sound 100% anyway, so you might still be out of the ribbons at the big shows.

It's a fault because sooner or later, it would affect his ability to continue as a hunter -- not during a two-minute show round, but during a twenty-minute gallop behind a fox and hounds.

Both of my guys have a bit of a noise, I find it comforting since it is rhythmical. Having your horse in shape, very fit and an anti-inflammatory might help. Hunters for me is not really my thing for long so for me I am OK. I also don't have to deal with humidity much so that is also helpful.

Enjoy your horse !

What Martha Drum says exactly. Consider the issue here--there is noise because there is an obstruction. You either have to address the obstruction or put a muffler on the horse. Since we don't have horse mufflers, there's really nothing to be done unless you address the obstruction.

It is a distracting noise. If he was for sale it would be an unsoundness.
    If he were a track horse it would have to be written on his papers if he had had the surgery. It will likely cause a prejudice from a judge and limit him eventing.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Skip a few shows and save up for the surgery if you want him to be a hunter.

2 members found this post helpful.

He was a race horse but I don't have his papers, so I have no idea if he had a surgery when he was racing. The thing is that even if I saved up money for it I wouldn't wan't a surgery unless he would really need it. I don't want to put him in any situation where there can be any kind of complications. That is why I was wondering if anyone knows if I can reduce the noise so we can do what we like to do.

Removing the vocal chords (ventriculochordectomy) will often help more with the noise than tie back. It is a less invasive procedure than a tie back. I had tie back done on my guy and it did nothing to reduce the noise.

Sorry there is no easy fix for this! Sometimes getting them fitter will help. My guy also makes a lot less noise in cooler weather. Roaring is considered an unsoundness in the hunter ring; maybe switch to jumpers?

The noise, as has been noted, is due to turbulent airflow.
    Unless the cause is corrected, the noise will persist.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Just to be clear, I support your decision to avoid unnecessary surgery. The tie-back is not a guarantee to remove the noise sufficiently to improve A-show placings, and there can be complications, as with any surgery.

Either consider switching to jumpers, eq, or decide that you are going to rule the school at the local shows, where it's not so severely penalized.

The big show judges can't be blamed for penalizing roaring -- as I said, it does affect the horse's stamina, not during one horse show class, but if you were out galloping and jumping for hours, which *theoretically* is what show hunters are based on.

Find what he can do comfortably and have fun!

I'm sorry but roaring being considered an unsoundness because a horse cannot run for hours is quite funny. I don't show hunters because it is too annoying and DH considers the judging on par with ice skating, but that justification is comical !

My hanoverian gelding had a prounounced roar, and I did the surgery because I wanted to show the hunters. He's about 85% quieter now, and the procedure and post-op weren't a big deal. He's still louder when it's hot/humid, but he seems more comfortable now, as well as quieter. I did research non-surgical options (supplements, etc) and never found anything that worked. Good luck.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...