The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A very special birthday!

My heart horse turned 30 yesterday! He and I have been together for 22 years. I was 10 years old when I outgrew my first pony and my parents bought him for me. Rey was 8 and we found him in a pasture, I think he cost around $500. He turned out to be priceless. His owner at the time bred him and had done some gaming with him. I remember the first time I rode him after we bought him he wouldn't let me put his bridle on, he'd put his head waaaaay in the air so I couldn't reach. We called his old owner and she came out to help. I never had a problem after that, it's like he needed her to tell him it was ok. When we first started riding he had two buttons - go and stop... Like sliding reining stop This was a problem because I rode english, did Pony Club, and looooved to jump. Fortunately he and I found our way and it turned out he looooved to jump too, once I showed him how. Especially cross country! He was FAST and didn't know the meaning of the word refuse. We evented through training level. One time I even jumped my little 15.1 hand former barrel racing QH 4'3". He and I brought home many, many blue ribbons against much fancier horses thanks to his giant heart.

Rey raised me and taught me almost everything I know about riding. He has taken care of me many times and has always been the best listener. I've been so privileged to have him in my life and I cherish every day I have with him. He got a big plate of muffins and some extra grain, which didn't feel like thank you enough for everything he has given me.

Here he is on his birthday:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ps98358cd8.jpg

And here are a few pics of him back in our heyday. This one is the day I brought him home:
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1..._4194264_n.jpg

One from our short stint in 4H:
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...girl24/Rey.jpg

And a few from our eventing days:
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1..._1754958_n.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1..._4936762_n.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1..._7794946_n.jpg

Thank you for 22 amazing years sweet Rey, I hope we have many more.

15 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Awww! What a handsome boy--happy birthday to you, Rey. He looks healthy and happy. Aren't horses the best?! My dear Calvin is 23 this year, and I hope we are together as long as you and Rey have been.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Happy birthday, Rey! What a great story. I hope you and he enjoy several more years together.

As an aside, my Bess is 22 this year and has been with me for 17 of those years. Like you with Rey, I love her dearly.

Happy birthday Rey! A fine age for a fine horse
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Aw, this is really sweet! Happy Birthday Rey!

Congratulations to you both!

And take yourself out for ice cream for being such a wonderful partner to him all these many years!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hooray for Rey! I hope my 28 yr. old is around a few more years.

How sweet! And he looks to be a grand old man. Happy birthday and many more!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks guys! He is pretty grand... He's a "grandpa" in fact to my two year old WB. He really keeps that baby in line. He also beats him in the galloping race from the pasture to the barn every single day when it's time to eat. Still has the speed factor

I just noticed the dates on those eventing pictures... 1993... Can't believe that was 20 years ago! Crazy!

2 members found this post helpful.

Awesome!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I don't know which of you is luckier! You, for getting such a grand friend, or Rey for getting such a grand owner!

4 members found this post helpful.

Awwww....such a great life for the both of you. Happy Birthday and MANY MANY more!
    Ride like you mean it.

Happy birthday, Rey!

Wishing Rey a very happy 30th birthday! He looks like such a wise fellow in his birthday pic. Thanks for sharing the other photos. I have had my mare for 12.5 of her 21 years and I hope to have her around for many more. There is something really amazing about growing up with a horse. Hugs and kisses to your special boy!

Happy birthday old man, you look wonderful all along, in your younger days and still today.

A friend had her horse for 40 of his 42 years.

You still have many years to enjoy each other.

Happy Birthday Rey!! Those wise, grey faces make me . What a special guy! Here's to the many, MANY more years you'll have with him!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

AWWW!!! He's adorable. Please give him a happy birthday hug from me, and kudos to you for being a true "forever home" for him.
    Alis volat propriis.

Happy Birthday to this grand gentleman!! Not to get the water works going, but isn't it amazing to look back through most of your life and have this amazing BFF there with you?? Wanna see me cry like a little girl? Let me go through my boy's photo album from when I was 12, through the teens year, taking him to college, then my daughter sitting on him as a baby....

And people wonder why we're crazy about our horses....

HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Happy birthday Rey! What a grand old man!

Happy Birthday Rey! What an amazing horse. These are my favorites of the equine world -- the good sports who are up for anything and give their all at it! As for me, you can keep your ultra-fancy specialty, high-dollar horses. Give me one like Rey, with classic good looks and endless try!

Thanks for loving him for all these years and not throwing him out on Craigslist when he got old (like you possibly could stop loving him now?). You both won the lottery when your parents brought him home. Give him a big hug and ENJOY his grand old self!