The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite summer riding gloves ?

After going through my tack trunk, I realize I have plenty of winter riding gloves but nothing light weight for the summer! I did purchase a pair of SSG lyrochet gloves and HATED them. They literally fell apart after a handful of rides and I have quiet hands. So I was curious to see what other COTH members use and like. I don't need anything special, just some good light gloves for hacking around.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I love the crochet styles ones with the leather on the palm part and crochet on the outside. They keep me very cool and are still protective. No idea what brand mine are but I believe SSG does some.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I also like the crohet ones. My other favorite is the Heritage Ultralite. They come in lots of colors. If you happen to get the gloves wet they dry quickly. My next pair is going to be in one of the prints the offer.

I bought a pair of SSGs and didnt like them. Very poor quality. I am a budget shopper but if something falls apart that quickly I would rather spend a little extra for better quailty. Maybe I just got a bad pair?

Roeckl! I usually use the original Chester gloves, but they have ones that have a mesh-like argyle pattern on the back. They are one of the only gloves I haven't destroyed, they last for ages! I had SSG ones that I didn't really like, Mountain Horse crochet ones, several pairs of leather ones that bled navy dye all over my hands, etc.

For schooling, I really like the Heritage crochet gloves. They keep my hands cool and dry and also wash up great.

I swear by my Ariat Air Grip gloves (with the Tech Grip). I can throw them in the wash and they come out fine. Like everyone else, I've gone through tons of gloves and found that Ariat Tech Grip do the job and protect my hands without getting in the way of maintaining my feel on the reins.

http://www.ariat.com/English/Men/Acc...ripGloves.html
    Last edited by sammicat; May. 16, 2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I ride in my Roeckls most of the time, but I love the crocheted gloves... Roeckl also used to make a lightweight trainer glove, not sure if they still do. But I had a pair and they were great until they walked off.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Mine are Mountain Horse. They are neutral colored (not quite white but not dyed either) & have lasted YEARS so I am definitely pleased with the quality!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Not to derail the thread, but how do y'all wash your gloves?

I've had my pair not even 2 years and they've been gross and weird since well, last year. They're crocheted on the back and leather everywhere else. Naturally, they get smelly from being exposed to horse sweat and such, so I have hand washed them a couple times with a leather wash. Despite this, they remain crunchy-like. They aren't soft and supple, even after washing. I've even applied a tiny bit of Lederbalsam to the leathers to try to soften that up. No real progress. They're practically fossilized. Is this just the normal life of gloves? Note: these were not $40+ gloves.

Maybe try this stuff? I haven't tried that particular product but love everything in their line that I have tried.

That's exactly what I have. l

I use either the basic SSGs that come in a rainbow of colors or SSG crochet ones. I abuse them all and they last several years.

1 members found this post helpful.

I only ride in string gloves unless it is the dead of winter. Nothing else. And a decent pair lasts 2-3 years.

I second the Ariat Air Grips- I always wear mine longer into the cold weather than is reasonable since they're so comfortable!

Love my Air Grips. I have had them for two years, and they are kind of smelly now (even just out of the wash), but they are holding up great! Hands are never hot, and they wash up to look like new. Not horribly expensive either.

I love the SSG Kool-Flo gloves. They're cooler than the crochet-backed gloves, and they fit my hand better. I've worn SSG gloves for years and have never had them fall apart on me like yours did. Maybe you did get a defective pair. I bought my current pair of Kool-Flo gloves 3 or 4 years ago, and they're still great even with 5-6x/week riding. They only cost me ~$18 at the time.

I hate the crochet ones; I think the palm leather is way too thick. I actually found those gloves are awesome work gloves.
    I love the Heritage summer trainer gloves.

And I've always just washed mine in the washing machine with other horse stuff. But I don't wash them often.

I always ride with gloves and live in a hot climate, so I have been through many pairs of crochet gloves; some have lasted better than others. I seem to remember that I had a pair of Good Hands crochet gloves that lasted better than most. I am using an excellent pair now that have a fabric, pebble-grip palm rather than leather. They have lasted very well, better than most. Wish I could remember the brand name.

Here's a nice RJ pair on sale:

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...FdNxOgodwC0Afg

I have never tried these, but they look sturdy.

To wash, I use mild dishwashing detergent and warm water and hang to dry; I then rub Lexol into the leather part.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

BEST KEPT SECRET! Tredstep Summer Cool gloves! http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredst...x?cm_vc=Search

Lightweight, breathable, wash up great, and under $25! I got maybe 8 months out of these with heavy riding, about 2-3 horses a day 5-6 days a week. So I think they held up well! I liked that I could school in them and they would get dirty but when I threw them in the washer they looked brand new for shows.