The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can a junior do both 3' & 3'6" medals?

I looked through the rule book, and maybe I missed it, but I could not find where it states a rider from being forbidden to enter in to medals at both heights. If a rider is consistently showing in the Maclay and the USEF can they do the local 3' medals? My state organization does not have any specifics regarding this but they do state that if their rules have not covered a topic they refer to USEF based rules. Thanks.

For the most part yes...some have a rule that you can't do it if you've ever shown in a 3'6 eq final (both CT state finals and THIS finals) but most will let you.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Any restrictions would probably be defined based on the lower medal, so if it's not in the state rules you are probably OK.
    The Evil Chem Prof

If the jr. rider participated in the 3'6" finals previously then he/or she is not allowed to participate in the 3" medals. it's in the manual. Of course this rule doesn't make sense when you have so many juniors that did the eq. finals the yr before and come back as amateurs and do the 3" medals the next year. And same for ex pros who reclaim their amateur status and compete in the 3'' medal finals shamelessly.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by leyla25 View Post
    If the jr. rider participated in the 3'6" finals previously then he/or she is not allowed to participate in the 3" medals. it's in the manual. Of course this rule doesn't make sense when you have so many juniors that did the eq. finals the yr before and come back as amateurs and do the 3" medals the next year. And same for ex pros who reclaim their amateur status and compete in the 3'' medal finals shamelessly.
    The USEF rulebook says nothing of the sort. Zones or states may have different rules.

As an example, you can do the 3' New England medal and the big eq, or the 3' CHJA junior medal (but it can qualify you for their 3'6'' final) and the big eq, but you might not be able to do the Marshall & Sterling 3' medal and do the big eq. I don't know if that last one is accurate or not so please take it with a grain of salt until I get a chance to confirm it later.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    but you might not be able to do the Marshall & Sterling 3' medal and do the big eq.
    Specs on the M&S website say "Open to Junior Riders on horses that are not competing at the same show in any hunter or equitation class in which the fences exceed 3'3”. So I guess if you go to a show just to do the 3' medals you could do the children's medal.

There are a ton of non USEF rated shows hosting local/regional 3' Medals and IIRC the various 3' Medals you may see at rated or unrated shows are not sponsored or nationally tracked by USEF/USHJA but by outside sources with their own rules and qualification process, eligibility requirements and so forth.

So you just have to read the prize list and restrictions of each individually at any show where both are offered. Some of the local/regional Medals do restrict riders who have ever shown at or above 3'6'' period, others just restrict it at the same show. A few don't have any restrictions at all.

There have been a couple of instances at shows I attended of kids competing in a local organization Medal Finals held in at a USEF AA show where the qualified kid competed in the local Finals at 3' and rode the Big Eq Medals at the same show. It was up to the local organization to allow it or not, USEF/USHJA had no jurisdiction on the 3' Medal class they do not rate and didn't care. In both cases, the local organization allowed the kid to ride in the Finals at 3' since they qualified, they would not let them compete in the regular local Medal class for next year's Finals, however.

Can get confusing about who controls what sometimes.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ok, Supershorty is right. You can do the New England medals and the big eq. in the same show. it is all so confusing.