The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches that run small(ish) in the waist

Hi Everyone,

I am searching for breeches (like everyone else - lol I think half the posts on this forum are about breeches) that run a little bit smaller in the waist. My current favorites are the TS trophy hunters low rise, but the waist is a little big for me, and since I have a really long torso I can never get my show shirts to stay tucked in. Also, I've noticed that the rise doesn't make much difference for me - I can't keep my shirt tucked in to even my oldish TS non-euroseat, non flattering/stretchy fabric breeches. I've tried the FITS breeches also, but I'm between sizes (I have a pair of smalls which are pretty snug, but medium is too baggy).

Anyways, if you have any suggestions, let me know! thanks!

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

If you can still find them, Custom riding apparel regular rise .. They have a inner band on the waist that holds shirts in place

If just the waist is the problem, just bring them to a tailor. I did this with a few pairs, it was pretty cheap and now they fit great!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    If just the waist is the problem, just bring them to a tailor. I did this with a few pairs, it was pretty cheap and now they fit great!
    This.

I always say, that's why they're called 'Tailored' Sportsman. Look inside the waistband - they are designed to be easily taken in or let out. Voila - custom breeches!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Ariat Olympia Front Zip Low Rise & Pikeur Ciara
    --o0o--

Apparently the new Tredstep breeches are designed to be smaller in the waist, and higher in the back. Haven't tried them on myself so can't say for sure! The older Pikeur style (the Winner model, I believe) are higher rise and quite small in the waist I found. Only downside is the teeeeeeny tiny belt loops.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzel View Post
    Apparently the new Tredstep breeches are designed to be smaller in the waist, and higher in the back. Haven't tried them on myself so can't say for sure! The older Pikeur style (the Winner model, I believe) are higher rise and quite small in the waist I found. Only downside is the teeeeeeny tiny belt loops.
    I'm going to have to try those.... I don't have a small waist, I just have a large bottom.... works out the same way only in a larger size. ;-)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I have the same problem, except that I 'm not long-waisted. I just got a pair of Ovation DX front zips on closeout ($105) from The Equestrian Corner, and I really like them -- no waist gapping whatsoever (even though I have, ahem, solid thighs), plus a nice substantial stain-repelling fabric, Euro seat, and sock bottoms. I wore them to show this weekend. The fit in the thighs and butt is similar to that of the Trophy Hunters -- I wear a 28 in regular TS schoolies but take a 26 in the Trophy Hunters and the DXs.

I'm eager to hear more about the Tredstep breeches -- they look lovely, but I'm always leery because I can't count the times I've ordered a new pair of breeches, discovered that the waist was enormous, and ended up having to pay to ship 'em back.
    Last edited by Sunnyhorse; May. 16, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzel View Post
    I have the Tredstep breeches (the #3, the lowest price one) and I would say that they're a bit smaller in the waist than other breeches I own. I love how these breeches fit, I haven't worn any of my other pairs since I got these because I like the fit so much.

Pikeur Ciara's - go down one size from what you wear in TS Trophys. They will still flit in the thigh/butt and will be smaller in the waist.

Ariat Procircuits. Tiny waist on those things!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    If you can still find these... they are amazing. Wearing a pair right now, and they have lasted at least twice as long as the rest of my breeches. I have the same problem, everything is huge in the waist on me and I always have to wear a belt and crank it in. So, don't buy the Smartpak ones, they are the worst! Great fabric, great ideas as far as stretchy calf, euroseat, etc. but not great if you have curvy hips and a small waist.
    Ovations are pretty good, TS are pretty good, and the expensive Ariats are good.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Don't get the All Circuits though, they run HUGE, I have a pair of 26 that fit in the calf and are a bit tight in the knee, but HUGE in the thigh and unless I strap them on with a belt they fall right off!

I just got the Ariat Pro Circuits used from ebay, and I found the fit to be almost bizarre. While my usual experience is that breeches that fit in the hips and thighs will gap at the waist and fall down, these fit in the waist and over my skinny legs but are huge through the hip and thigh. They look almost like the old style 1950s flared type, with room for an early pregnancy thrown in. So you might try these!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding