The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going rate for body clipping...

What do you pay or...what are you paid to body clip a horse?
    Any differential for ponies or naughty horses?

Just trying to get a feel for if my prices are reasonable.
    Thanks!

$150 for show quality full body clip.

I paid $100 for what amounted to a full body clip last December. It was not show quality, but it got the job done.
    Sheilah

$130 - $150 is normal here in GA but probably higher somewhere like Alpharetta where they do hunters/nice barns.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Someone gratefully paid me $100 to clip a Cushing's horse during a heat wave. I never would have charged her that much since I didn't do a very good job! but now that I've done a couple of them and am learning how to do it better, that might actually be a decent price for it. Built into the price is the cost of sharpening the clipper blades afterward...

Just curious...why do people pay for a full body clip (based on these figures) when you can pick up a brand new pair of body clippers and do it yourself for that price, thus saving money year after year? Is it inability, or naughty horses?
    No snark, just wondering.

I myself finally sucked it up and bought a pair of Andis for $139 and body clipped one of my horses.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Just curious...why do people pay for a full body clip (based on these figures) when you can pick up a brand new pair of body clippers and do it yourself for that price, thus saving money year after year? Is it inability, or naughty horses?

I myself finally sucked it up and bought a pair of Andis for $139 and body clipped one of my horses.
    Probably both? I just REALLY hate clipping. I have the big Osters and the A5 Osters. My back hurts, I'm itchy for days from the hair... My horse is really good about it too.

This year I house/barn sat while the family went on vacation. I traded the BO part of the money she would have paid me for her to clip my horse instead. It was MAGICAL to go from one day having a hairy/shedding/itchy/miserable horse to the next day her being sleek and so much happier. I can totally see how people would do it all the time.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

It is very time consuming and I can't physically handle that much bending. So I am more than happy to leave the big job to someone else. For the little stuff, like bridle paths, I happily do my own clipping.
    Sheilah

$100 for show clip on small pony. I pay others to body clip because I hate taking the time and I have too many to be bending over, killing my back! I clip legs, heads, ears, bridle paths myself and occasionally bodies, when I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post

The very few people that I will body clip for ask me to do it because they work full time and they are honest to goodness amateur owners who have never thought about taking on the task themselves. I charge $75 for ponies, $100 for horses and these are backyard pleasure horses where a little bobble of the clipper blade isn't an issue.

I won't touch a horse or pony that has to be sedated for clipping or is edgy/threatening. Enough things can go wrong just working around a horse to get you injured that taking on a troubled horse that isn't mine has no value to me.

$150 for a clip. However I bought my own clippers last year. Has saved a good amount money! It is physically tasking and not the most fun in the world though. I can see why people pay.

In the past I always clipped my own, but last year I had it professionally done (on the West coat) at $225 / horse -- not including tranqs -- for the 3yo.

Fall 2012 I charged:

* Full body clip - $135
    * Hunter clip (leaves legs and face) - $110
    * Trace clip (leaves legs, back, and face) - $85
    * Bib clip (chest and stomach only) - $50
    * Mane pulling - $30
    Note: Horses must be clean when clipped - $25 service charge if horse is dirty.
    Additionally, $25 charge may apply if your horse is difficult to clip / handle.

I'm in California (SF Bay Area) however it's a boarding barn (not full-training), so these are a bit below average for the area. I'd expect to pay $150 for a full-body clip at a show barn.

It's not really a "money maker". Truly spending the money to have the clippers serviced and blades sharpened adds up. Takes me about 2 1/2 hours for a full-clip (on a very nice, clean horse with decent manners) with my Listers. Using my Osters takes longer (I need more breaks!). I also have done a lot of wet-clipping (bath horse, squeegy, towel dry, since with cooler for 10-15min, spray show sheen everywhere, begin clipping immediately). LOVE IT. Clippers glide right through (expect on the rediculously curly horses!) and hair falls off in clumps instead of blowing around into your nose!

I paid $150 for full body clips; my horse can be difficult so sometimes would need a tranq. I've body clipped my horse before but like some others I work full time, barely find enough time to ride, let alone spend that time clipping - and quite frankly I'd rather pay someone who does a great job, than me who doesn't do that great of a job. I will trim face, legs etc.

So I charge between $75 and $100 for full body clipping. Nice show quality clip, no lines. The price includes a complementary bath. Either you give them one or I will. I spray them down with show sheen and buzz away. I try to only wet clip. It leaves virtually no lines, no blowing hair, and the wet hair keeps the blades cool.
    If your horse is bad to clip, I expect tranq available in case it's needed.

I clip with andis 2 speeds with the t-84 wide blades. Takes me about 3.5 hours to give the bath, towel dry, and clip head to toe. I buy ceramic blades and manage to clip 4 to 5 super clean horses with them before they need to be sharpened.

I was charging $80 for a full body clip, and less for a trace, depending on how much of a trace it was (i.e. just a strip clip versus a full trace clip). Realizing also that I was clipping mainly for foxhunters, so the legs and face get left strictly alone