The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default did I ever feel like an idiot today...

At an A show, competed in the 0.90m jumpers as a warmup for the low adult tomorrow. It was a speed class, there was a water obstacle, with an optional vertical, and the timers were *slightly* hard to get to, meaning you had to go straight ahead or left, but not right or you'd miss them.

I had gone and was watching some pros. A young pro had a nice round, jumped the water and I noticed she was looking right over the last jump, (meaning she would miss the timers). Instinctively I stood up and yelled TIMERS!!! Mind you, this was a quiet moment, and I yelled LOUD.

And then she just calmly circled around and jumped the water again for an automatic DQ. head meet palm

Anyone else have "Man do I feel like a noob" stories to share?
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

cheating
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I lost my donkey today, for about 20 minutes.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

10 members found this post helpful.

TheJenners, I am addicted to your donkey posts, so please elaborate!

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh well, see....

I tied Odie while putting poultices on Rory. Then I turn around, and no more Odie. So I wander around for 20 min, then found him pretending he had never even left....
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I was running may schooling show, and had a well respected trainer in the office registering/chatting. We were talking about how to teach a horse to give to pressure at the poll so that when they step on a lead rope, etc they don't freak. She was telling me how she does it...and I completely zoned out. Like I can't remember a word she said. I was doing the "Active listenting" uh-huhs, and stuff...but with not attention to her whatsoever. So rude of me. (I had to start listening to the results of the class being announced right at that time...so I was actually doing my job...she just didn't know it). I was sure she thought I was a total flake.

Then I saw her a few weeks later at a show and apologized. She was like "what?" and hadn't really even noticed.

Now I'm sure she thinks I'm a freak. Oh well.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

1 members found this post helpful.

I will make you feel better. Last fall while doing a power & speed class we're cruising along and Lad wallops #4 I am positive it's down, broken into 10 pieces etc. So I finished my power round and jump and pull up. As I get to the get I am laughing and say to the folks ringside.."hey it was weird your timer didn't buzz me out" to which I am told "That's because you were clean."

Dumbfounded doesn't even cover it. Apparently the rail went multiple inches up in the air and came down and half rolled out of the cups but stuck. The jump crew took a cell phone pic of it. I don't know how that thing didn't fall but boy did I sure feel silly.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

5 members found this post helpful.

Thankfully I don't think Ive done any overly embarrassingly things in the show ring, yet!

But I did get skunked last night. I was grabbing hay for a horse, my dog ran behind the hay box and grabbed a juvenile skunk, but I have terrible eyesight so all I could was my 2 girls attacking a small animal. Didn't know if it was a cat, raccoon or what, I was trying to pry them off and grab the animal. Yep, started to smell and taste that it was skunk. My dogs and I were covered! I still had to finish feeding, put my horse away, etc., so i did what what any mature adult would do, and called my husband sobbing

Bad eyesight for the loose #75859 oops.

6 members found this post helpful.

TBRedHead, have you seen the ad for the eyeglass company where the woman opens the sliding door at night and calls in a baby voice "Here kitty kitty" and a racoon waddles in. "Good kitty, come snuggles with momma."
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Oh, I can top that. I was showing in a big class at Kentucky and might have had the trip of my life. Spectators were clapping, my very reserved trainer was whistling. What do I do? Say, 'why are they all clapping? I'm not done yet!' and proceed to make the turn to the single oxer. I can hear my trainer say, 'What is she doing?' as I jump it and make the turn to a line I have already jumped. Duh. Too many jumps.

I can out of the ring and he said, 'Well, you went from a 90 to a zero.'

CBoylen rubbed it in later, telling me I was the only one who found all the jumps, even the extra one!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    Yep, started to smell and taste that it was skunk. My dogs and I were covered! I still had to finish feeding, put my horse away, etc., so i did what what any mature adult would do, and called my husband sobbing
    That's what I would do too!