The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vet for hock injections?

I have a vet who is awesome but his price of hock injections is (I think??) a bit excessive? Close to 1k. Looking for suggestions on a vet who is reasonable in the Southeastern PA region? I went to Dr. Riddle (sp) near Fair Hill Maryland a long time ago. Thought he was pretty good and reasonable but not sure if he still has his practice? Am I wrong to shop around?

I just paid over $1K for hock injections by a great vet in So Cal. I guess it depends on your location. I'm not willing to take a risk by seeking out a bargain.

WHOA..I paid around $300.00 which included a lameness exam from a very good vet in my area (Vermont).
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    WHOA..I paid around $300.00 which included a lameness exam from a very good vet in my area (Vermont).
    That's about what it is here in GA! I can't imagine 1k!!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Yeah...I know, right? I don't think I'm necessarily seeking out a bargin but something that is reasonable. If it was a specialty injection, like the coffin or navicular bursa, I believe you get what you pay for. And some joints rely on more art than science when it comes to the vet. IMHO, the hock joint is pretty standard???

I think coffin joints are pretty simple, just like hocks. I think navicular bursa require digital x-rays and a little more expertise. I have gone to the race tract veterinarians at Charles Town, as they were 1/3 of the price of a local vet. Using a rural vet is another option. My daughter's practice does hocks and coffin joints for less than half of what the suburban practices charge. The quality of the care is the same, but you might have to bring the horse to a small, low tech, clinic.

In Northern CA -

$400-$500 for bilateral hock injections of HA & T/A. Lower & mid hock joints injected in that figure.

Four years ago I paid about $800 for injections here in Mass. I think it depends on the location, what is being injected, and how many hock joints.

It was important to me that my vet do the injections because I knew his success rate was very high and there were virtually no complications.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I can never recall if you're in PA or NJ or DE. If in NJ, Dr. Jennifer Platt, mobile vet. Just had my guy done $535 all-in. If in PA, check and see if she goes to PA. She rides with Kevin Babbington so she's in the area, I just don't know if she sees clients in PA or only NJ.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I pay between $300-500 at the end of the visit in South LA from a vet who specializes in Hunter/Jumpers.

I'm sure location has something to do with it, but $1k sounds VERY high to me. Did he just do the distal two joints of both hocks?

And I'm all for getting a qualified vet to do it, but honestly, it isn't exactly rocket science for the average equine practitioner. They are not particularly hard joints to do. I'd insist that the vet preps the area properly, but assuming they do a fair number of sport horses, I wouldn't be too concerned about who actually does it. JMO.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Here in the Baltimore area I just paid $580, including call fee, for the distal joints of both hocks. I would have to look at the invoice from last year to see whether that was with HA, steroid, or both (we did "same thing as last year," but I don't remember what we did last year...) What is injected DOES affect the price.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

What the vet injects in makes a difference too. I think IIRC HA is a lot pricier than Cortisone. And some vets ALSO do Adequan.
    ~Veronica

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    What the vet injects in makes a difference too. I think IIRC HA is a lot pricier than Cortisone. And some vets ALSO do Adequan.
    HA is pricier than cortisone, yes. I didn't know that Adequan could be used for hock injections also. Do you know (and if you don't offhand, I'll go look it up) what the research is on that?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I think intra articular was actually the FIRST approved use of Adequan?

http://www.luitpoldanimalhealth.com/Adequan_ia.html

I have not myself ever used it that way. I actually think I've only once gone beyond steroids to HA and that was when my pony was 16. His hocks fused after that. I never hard to "step up" further. There's something else I've had used before... MAP5? I can't quite recall the name.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    I have a vet who is awesome but his price of hock injections is (I think??) a bit excessive? Close to 1k. Looking for suggestions on a vet who is reasonable in the Southeastern PA region? I went to Dr. Riddle (sp) near Fair Hill Maryland a long time ago. Thought he was pretty good and reasonable but not sure if he still has his practice? Am I wrong to shop around?
    Doc Riddle did the chip surgery on my horse this past September. He also evaluated a pony at the barn for surgery just a couple months ago. As far as I know he is still practicing.

IMHO his prices are still in the reasonable range.

What about going to the vet school?

its amazing to me how different the prices are! In my area we called around to a few vets and they were all in the 200-300 range for both hocks.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    My vet did the distal joints of both hocks, HA and Adequan. That was $300-something with the lameness exam and farm call.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

It is pretty amazing how varied prices are. It must be, at least in part, a regional thing. There can't be THAT much difference in materials costs or time.
    ~Veronica