The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Johnson View Post
    I hate to even open my mouth here, because I didn't see it, but the report on EN said she left a stride out at a water combination toward the end of course, and made it sound likea kiss-of-luck got them through. Lauren's quote, as well as archive footage of KOC, also led me to believe the mare is strong and difficult to manage on XC.

I think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
    I saw the footage and she jumped big into the water and then was smooth and effortless, IMHO/IIRC, through the rest. I thought she was magnificent.

ever since Teddy, I've been very "underimpressed" with that camp's ...er..."horsemanship." just sayin'

3 members found this post helpful.

I have loved that mare and her way of going for a long time and I don't think running her back may have hurt her. I examined both performances and while it seems like a lot, I think she was up to it and I think the telling tale will be Bromont in what three weeks?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Or where she'll be in three years.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mareslave View Post
    ever since Teddy, I've been very "underimpressed" with that camp's ...er..."horsemanship." just sayin'
    Why exactly is that? From what I heard it sounded like the incident with Teddy was just a freak accident ... Was there more to the story? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you ... Just wondering if there was something else that happened there that I'm not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by mareslave View Post
    I am not expert enough to offer an opinion about the subject of running UL horses at close intervals, however
    I think that is a really low blow, absolutely uncalled for..

I followed that pony's career, he was exceptional and he died as a result of an accident at the barn when he spooked ,got loose from his handler and injured himself irreparably.

His breeder posts here. His handler was devastated.

When you write these things on a public BB do you ever consider how hurtful you are to the REAL person that was caring for that horse?
    When you insinuate that someone's "er horsemanship" is to blame for a horse spooking , getting loose, and having to be put down because of his injuries ,you present yourself as an ass who has never experienced a tragic accident.

I suppose that there is no horse that YOU couldn't hold..
    Shame on you.

13 members found this post helpful.

I hate to even open my mouth here, because I didn't see it, but the report on EN said she left a stride out at a water combination toward the end of course, and made it sound likea kiss-of-luck got them through. Lauren's quote, as well as archive footage of KOC, also led me to believe the mare is strong and difficult to manage on XC.

I think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
    I'd love to see the footage. One person's 'eeek' is another's 'jumped in big, made up ground, scopey horse found the distance EASY on 1 less stride'.

think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
    I totally disagree. Imho horses in pain and/or fatigued are MUCH MUCH more likely to try to chip in an extra stride to make less of an effort, than to stand off. In my experience horses which leave strides out are brave, confident, and feel great about using their bodies for a biggger-than-necessary jump. Also, they don't necessarily flatten when going for a biggie...
    I know it's not advisable to let horses do it all the time, though, obviously.

Re: the Teddy comment, I was really hoping that that was NOT a reference to the accident. I was a huge Teddy fan and can still sit here and cry at what happened to him. ANYONE can get dropped and have to let go... cripes, is anyone here going to say it's never happened to them? And once that horse is loose it is absolutely in the lap of the gods whether you catch it without a scratch on it, or not...

8 members found this post helpful.

^^^. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Winding Down View Post
    ^^^. Thank you.
    I took the Teddy comment to mean that Nothing has been the same with OCET since Teddy's death, not that Teddy's death was anything other than a horrible tragedy for all involved. It's like the magic ended, as crazy as that is to say.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    I took the Teddy comment to mean that Nothing has been the same with OCET since Teddy's death, not that Teddy's death was anything other than a horrible tragedy for all involved. It's like the magic ended, as crazy as that is to say.
    I took it the same way. I don't think anyone was blaming Teddy's freak accident on horsemanship, I think the comment was meant to say after Teddy's death the horses after him may have been treated with questionable horsemanship practices. And I'm also not saying I agree or disagree with that sentiment, just trying to clarify what I think the poster really meant!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Or, more specifically, that's when Mandiba was pushed beyond reason to go to the 2008 Olympics. The horse simply wasn't ready and had no business being there.

I thought that's what mareslave was referring to, as the Mandiba situation has already been mentioned on this thread.

Even as a comment regarding Mandiba instead of Teddy, I think it's out of line. No one seems to remember that Mandiba had already been short-listed before Teddy died, which meant they were obiligated to send him if he was named to the team, or that Mandiba was the very last option left when all the other horses had to leave quarantine.

Default I respectfully disagree that all of the jumps are 'great designs'.

There were two jumps I felt were not safe in their design. The first was the prelim / intermediate ditch and wall. The second was the advanced table over the ditch in the back field.

I did express my concern over the design issue that has massive open ditches open on both sides which could potentially entrap a horse and rider if a mistake were made. For the ditch and wall having concrete stairs wind down to the bottom and back up to the off side and a concrete floor seem dangerous should a horse miscalculate the jump distance.

The jumps themselves were beautifully built and presented, it was the adjoining terrain that concerned me. A simple fenceline on the take off side would, to me, be more safe should a horse try and run out.

As it happened a mare miscalculated the distance and was trapped at the prelim ditch and wall down in the concrete and another apparently landed on the table that had open air on the landing side over a huge ditch and that horse kicked the table apart and went down in that deep ditch. Both thankfully recovering.

I am not complaining, only expressing concern. I made a decision to not ask my upper level horse to do either until the deep ditches are somehow no longer wide open on either side of the jumping questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenbaer View Post
    I have been at Chatt this week apprenticing with Hugh. The courses are absolutely lovely, great designs and questions, but are not easy. I would want only a fit, focused, totally "on" horse, and nothing less.

To add an interesting point- I was not aware of this, but maybe others are- courses can now be identical for national and FEI levels. In other words, Prelim/* Int/** and Adv/*** can be exact same track, questions, fences. In theory, you could end up "moving up" a level on an FEI track, or find yourself essentially running a starred track every weekend. Food for thought.
    " TOUGH. Sound, bull headed, strong and wild horses to ride. They have a mind of their own and you just have to learn to deal with it. " My Babu Bloodline.

5 members found this post helpful.

I see that mareslaves' post could leave room for interpretation and I hope very much that you are correct. The "tone" had me feeling that mine was the correct reading.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I just noticed that Will Faudree won the CIC3* at Jersey Fresh the weekend of May 8th-12th on Andromaque, flew her to France and then came 4th at Saumur last weekend, which, unless I can't add, is two weeks between CIC3*s.

Is that too much?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Wasn't Saumur a CCI?
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Saumur was a CCI.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Still an overseas flight, different time zone, weather, etc, etc, etc.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It was CCI 3*. Still about 80 3* jumping efforts in two weeks. CICs are supposed to be slightly more intense even though shorter in length. The jumps are no smaller.

According to the Chronicle the Jersey Fresh CIC was a "tuneup" for Saumur. Pretty damn tough for a "tuneup".
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I just noticed that Will Faudree won the CIC3* at Jersey Fresh the weekend of May 8th-12th on Andromaque, flew her to France and then came 4th at Saumur last weekend, which, unless I can't add, is two weeks between CIC3*s.

Is that too much?
    Apparently not! Go Will!

2 members found this post helpful.