The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The FEI has, AFAIK, not given a reason for sj last in CICs.

HOWEVER--right after the Aachen WEG, the German FN who has adopted the CIC with zest came out with a suggestion that sj be last because XC is "the heart of the sport" and should be the final decider of placings. They stated that they believed the change would make the sport more spectator friendly, since spectators would want to see XC as the final phase. From my admittedly biased viewpoint, it looks as if the FEI were slowly adopting the German vision by making incremental changes that be accepted with less opposition.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I don't see that as more exciting myself.

So we know how everyone did in Stadium.. then we get to watch them all go x-country...

each one goes across the finish-line ... "oooooh, there goes ______, she's still in 20th place..."

I don't know, stadium last is so exciting because you know how many rails they come in able to loose, the tension is there, ANYTHING could happen...

11 members found this post helpful.

I've just been informed that the discipline against the Florida Dr. Feelgood is now final. He's on probation for 5 years and was fined. The order was final in April and has not been appealed. The Florida vet board order is 2013-01637, and can be obtained from their public records office.

Florida has one of the best public records laws out there, so almost every state governmental action is out in the sunshine.

4 members found this post helpful.

If XC is last, there will be so much pressure to go double clear, that one suspects that riders would have the pedal to the metal the whole round. And not care if the horse is broken afterwards, because they won't have to compete the next day. From my personal perspective, when time faults are the deciding factor, it can't be good for the horses.

7 members found this post helpful.

They used to televise Gatcombe CIC*** which I think is always run with the XC last, and riders going in reverse order etc. I can think of one high-profile rider who was 'going for it' in a major way and wiped out at the last fence when going for a flier, every second counts etc...
    Stadium last makes better sense for so many reasons.

Dr. Feelgood is a fixture in the jumper world, and I suspect knows the RF horses quite well.
    Throwing something else into the mix here. When the FEI proposed their bizarre qualification system, the eventing "powers" voted against it - except for the USA. In that sense, we helped create the problem.
    Sigh ....

2 members found this post helpful.

I understand that he has bragged about being a vet for ML and KOC.

That wouldn't surprise me. He does have a heakthy Ego.

1 members found this post helpful.

What he doesn't have is an FEI vet card, TG.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kerilli View Post
    They used to televise Gatcombe CIC*** which I think is always run with the XC last, and riders going in reverse order etc. I can think of one high-profile rider who was 'going for it' in a major way and wiped out at the last fence when going for a flier, every second counts etc...
    Stadium last makes better sense for so many reasons.

yup!

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    Dr. Feelgood is a fixture in the jumper world, and I suspect knows the RF horses quite well.
    Throwing something else into the mix here. When the FEI proposed their bizarre qualification system, the eventing "powers" voted against it - except for the USA. In that sense, we helped create the problem.
    Sigh ....

Another example of america playing catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I understand that he has bragged about being a vet for ML and KOC.
    Really. Do you know where? Doesn't bode well for the image of our sport....

Can anybody share the name of the vet? I'm having trouble finding the records online.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Another example of america playing catch up.
    Hoist on our own petard yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    I hate *hate* HATE the fact that our wonderful sport is being infiltrated by crooked creeps.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Anna Pollyanna
    I have to second, third and forth this comment.
    I cannot believe it has gone to the dogs.. so to speak.
    Dr. feel goods?? Only in the A circuit Big time hunter barns it used to be.
    Oh wow, what a shame.
    I am a Pollyanna as well I guess and proud of it.
    My idol over the years has now fallen before me. At least for me.
    ~Sigh~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    ^^^ are you attributing these horses not running to having been over competed in the past? Horses retire. They break down. They go on to easier lives. How do we know that this is due to running back to back events and not to simply running so many events?

My own Mick Dreamy will likely be done in a couple of years. We will go on to dressage or maybe driving. He is 12 and he has given me wonderful runs at prelim and interm, but not without costs. He requires maintenance. He has been lame in the past. But we've brought him back and we are hopeful that he can continue. But there will come a time when my vet and I will decide that he is no longer an UL horse.

Does this mean I've competed him too much? I think we all know that event horses often retire when their bodies tell us that they are done. I don't see this as wrong.... It's what happens, across disciplines and especially in ours.
    IF you were referring to my post, I am merely stating that there are a lot of three star horses not out competing, and that the powers that be, may have them not competing, while others, are out competing to hope to get noticed. I dunno, I am not on the list of those who need to know. I was just commenting on the fact that many of the top horses aren't out competing at all....
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    Hoist on our own petard yet again.

PERFECT!!! :-)

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...nutes_0313.pdf just search for 5 yrs probation and I think you'll have his name.

I do caveat that with the fact that the case number is not the same case number Viney has mentioned.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    All the power to Veronica for running around like a champ.
    I hate to even open my mouth here, because I didn't see it, but the report on EN said she left a stride out at a water combination toward the end of course, and made it sound likea kiss-of-luck got them through. Lauren's quote, as well as archive footage of KOC, also led me to believe the mare is strong and difficult to manage on XC.

I think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I was there and had a special eye out for Veronica because I so admired the mare's heart through the water at Rolex when she lost KOC, but kept going. When I checked the order of go and realized that the horse standing before me in SJ warmup was Veronica, I was a bit shocked. To me she looked tired, she then turned in one of the few double clears of the evening so she was able to get the job done, but at what long term cost?

I have never and will never compete at that level, but I've closely observed the top of the sport for many years. What I see now makes me want to step away completely - that's just one woman's opinion so do with it what you will.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb