The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Then can you please offer some examples of circumstances in which this would be considered good horsemanship?
    Ha. Horsemanship? Good luck with that!

1 members found this post helpful.

Boo, eventing. Boo.
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

So now eventing needs a rule for the HORSES welfare. Something that limits the number of events in a specified time frame - spelling out standard rest times etc. What a mess. Really bad for the horses and black eye for eventers.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think the most worrying part is that she's another O'Connor protege, which means this is clearly a schedule they're advocating.

16 members found this post helpful.

If it were up to Lauren, I have a feeling this wouldn't have happened. She has to do what the horse's owner and "manager" says to do - and consider that she may have to have the qualification for next year's team - and who would be pushing that? The coach maybe? So very disappointing.

Respectfully -- bull.

As a rider you are responsible for doing the right thing for the horse. She's not just a jockey who has NO say over how the horses train. She rides them every day. In eventing the rider has a responsibility to ride the horse sympathetically and correctly. If she does something wrong on course the manager and the owner don't get the yellow card - she would.

It IS up to Lauren, I think. She is smart enough to have a say. Or I assume so. Who knows. This outfit sort of does what it wants, has for a long time, and there is not much that gets in their way, I think. Nothing we can do but talk about it. Now the mare will go on and win, have no ill effects, and who are we to knock the choice.

Just for irony's sake -- there is an online forum hosted by USEF on horse welfare later this week.
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

9 members found this post helpful.

Respectfully back - essentially, she IS an in house jockey.

4 members found this post helpful.

Agree with most of what's been said, but in fairness( I know, I know) If she wants to do Rolex next year, she has to get the qualifications done and is at the mercy of the calendar. She needs 2 CIC*** and 1 CCI***. So working back from Fair Hill the opportunity to get the 2 additional CIC *** 's leaves her with Chatt, Rebecca Farms in July, Richland in Aug, Poplar in Sept, and Plantation. Taking out Rebecca Farms ( long trip) although horse is owned by Team Rebecca. Plantation is too close for comfort to use as a qualifier. That leaves Richland and Poplar. Gee what if you screw up?
    Getting the FEI qualifications is not an easy task, and does have to be planned out far in advance.
    Not as easy as getting National qualifiers. It is good to have one under your belt.
    Jersey was a CIC ** and Chatt is a CIC***, so essentially an Intermediate to an Advanced.
    Not condoning it, just some thoughts. Could be the horse is better when she's running consecutively.Who knows?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    So now eventing needs a rule for the HORSES welfare. Something that limits the number of events in a specified time frame - spelling out standard rest times etc. What a mess. Really bad for the horses and black eye for eventers.
    You are exactly right...guess they can't leave it up to the riders to do the right thing for their horses anymore...

It is sickening...but it doesn't surprise me. Look what KOC did to Mandiba after his horrific accident...I'm sorry, but that poor horse should have been retired...regardless of how much "he loved to event."

And win she did. Doesn't make it right. At least the mare is getting the kind of rider she deserves, one that doesn't overbit and brutalize her.
    Back to my bat cave .......

2 members found this post helpful.

^^^^^ Ouch

Lets not just pile on here - what about the riders who did a CCI* or ** at Ocala and then promptly moved up to intermediate or advanced and are running the CIC** or *** at Chat. This isn't just one rider at issue - there's a whole sea change in how horses and riders are competing. Like it or not, the qualifications are pushing a lot of folks to do things that are pretty drastically different from the days when we used to kick them out in the field for a month after a CCI.

Good points Spots.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    ...If she wants to do Rolex next year, she has to get the qualifications done and is at the mercy of the calendar. ...
    There is no horse in that equation. That isn't SPORT.
    Last edited by Justa Bob; May. 18, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

She has a Facebook page. Would be very easy to ask her instead of go on here about it.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Question NOT specific to this horse, but rather the format.

Can someone explain when there is a jog--- is it at the CCIs only? Not at CICs? Or is it at the discretion of the event? I know the Chatt schedule for the FEI levels was dressage, stadium and then x/c. (Wasn't Jersey Fresh like that, too?).

Does running an event d/s/x-c eliminate the 'need' for a jog? I'm cynical, so I'd think there would be more sore horses that sneak thru soundness wise and are very sore after x-c but can 'recuperate' over the next few days after the event is over.

Only an initial jog/in barn at the CICs now, since they are wanting them run w/ SJ first.

Hey faybe, congrats on a super weekend! You must be so proud
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Thanks! It was a super day, a great lead up to Bromont for them. I'm definitely a proud wife and pony mom

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the CIC is the only FEI sponsored competition that does not have a formal jog before competition. One wonders why. One also wonders why the FEI is making so many changes in eventing. It's their only sport that is continually being tinkered with.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    Only an initial jog/in barn at the CICs now, since they are wanting them run w/ SJ first.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire