The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Speaking of running a horse at two UL competitions back to back...

Veronica is competing at the Chat Hills CIC*** this weekend... A week after winning the CIC 2* at Jersey Fresh.

(Yes, the "short format" CIC is like a regular HT, blah blah blah... still a lot of wear and tear on a horse to run at the Intermediate level, stand on a trailer 6+ hours back to VA, and then another 10+ hours down to GA to run an Advanced level competition less than a week later.)

Just another example of how the new FEI qualification system is completely screwing up horsemanship.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

12 members found this post helpful.

Agreed, though, I think horsemanship was on the way out long before the new qualifications.

Back to back is fine at training and below (to a degree). I'll even OCCASIONALLY do it at prelim (as long as there is a good, long break afterwards). Intermediate and up? No, no, no. Don't care what you're trying to qualify for...wait. It's not that important.

7 members found this post helpful.

Now the riders have a perfect excuse....trying to qualify.

2 members found this post helpful.

Shoot. I always worried about running Tess back to back at BN.

3* to Advanced, back to back, is just way too much. JMHO. They must have some magic potion to keep them sound?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

that makes me sick. It makes it harder for the riders who ARE doing the right thing to get qualified.

4 members found this post helpful.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling Veronica was entered at Chatt Hills just in case something went wrong at Jersey Fresh. I will be quite surprised if she actually shows up (and disappointed).

I have been at Chatt this week apprenticing with Hugh. The courses are absolutely lovely, great designs and questions, but are not easy. I would want only a fit, focused, totally "on" horse, and nothing less.

To add an interesting point- I was not aware of this, but maybe others are- courses can now be identical for national and FEI levels. In other words, Prelim/* Int/** and Adv/*** can be exact same track, questions, fences. In theory, you could end up "moving up" a level on an FEI track, or find yourself essentially running a starred track every weekend. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie&Me View Post
    I could be wrong but I have a feeling Veronica was entered at Chatt Hills just in case something went wrong at Jersey Fresh. I will be quite surprised if she actually shows up (and disappointed).
    Veronica ran in the 2* at jersey - so if entering chatt hills before jersey as a "just in case," wouldn't you think she'd have been entered in the 2*, not the 3*...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the horse run...sad, but not surprised...gotta get those qualifications/catigorizations done...sigh...
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Quote Originally Posted by Glenbaer View Post
    To add an interesting point- I was not aware of this, but maybe others are- courses can now be identical for national and FEI levels. In other words, Prelim/* Int/** and Adv/*** can be exact same track, questions, fences. In theory, you could end up "moving up" a level on an FEI track, or find yourself essentially running a starred track every weekend. Food for thought.
    This actually happened to me. I had done one prelim, although really it was more like a big beefy training. My next prelim was about 3 weeks later and they had changed it to a targeted CN 1 day before the competition started. http://useventing.com/competitions/o...st?event=15216

In all honesty I nearly s*** my pants when I saw the course and I wasnt the only one. It was a beefy CCI* track which considering it was a Mar 1st event was rough. We went clear, but my horse is a rockstar. Kristi Nunnink thinks she is just the bees knees. When I came back a month later as a groom they had toned down the track a lot for the actual CCI* they were running. In retrospect I should have done it.

Doesn't Karen "manage" Veronica? The whole thing is sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmd07 View Post
    Veronica ran in the 2* at jersey - so if entering chatt hills before jersey as a "just in case," wouldn't you think she'd have been entered in the 2*, not the 3*...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the horse run...sad, but not surprised...gotta get those qualifications/catigorizations done...sigh...
    I stand corrected (and disappointed) - looks like Veronica is indeed running.

Surprised this thread isnt getting more attention...

I always thought it was pretty rare running any horse back-to-back weekends, regardless of the level. Slightly more common at BN-P, but very rare at I & A. I guess the times (and need for qualifications) have changed.

I'm also surprised by the lack of response. I feel outraged, but I guess few others do. Not only two competitions in a row, but hauling from Jersey to Georgia? And we wonder why our horses seem flat.

9 members found this post helpful.

Count me in the camp who didn't -- couldn't -- believe the mare was actually running. But there she is on the scoreboard.

Can anyone explain the point of this? What on earth is so urgent to qualify for that this mare needs to be hauled and run all over the eastern seaboard?

This is not a case of a one-horse, struggling-to-make-it rider trying to cope with the vagaries of FEI qualification. This is an established rider. The owners have years in the sport and deep pockets. The OCET program has been there and done that and, also, knows what it's like to lose a horse. Horses, actually.

The usual excuses like but they love their horses! or but they know what's best for their horses! aren't going to fly here. Frankly, I don't care if riders/trainers despise their animals so long as they look out for the best interests of their health and treat them fairly.

13 members found this post helpful.

I always wonder if these riders have ever been athletes themselves.

Being involved in a very strenuous (non horse) sport definitely gives one a new outlook on how to maintain an athlete.

Of course there are the cases that you just can't prevent.
    But in the case of a healthy, sound horse...the horse can't really tell us if there are tweaks and creaks after a show.

It could be something as small as the horse stepping on a teeny pebble the week before. Maybe not enough to make them lame but maybe enough to make them favor that foot just the teeniest bit.
    And at a *** (or any level) favoring one front leg over the other can be very consequential.

But, we are merely a chat forum and not behind the scenes.
    so it is what it is.

All the power to Veronica for running around like a champ.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I saw that entry and went in to double check at the entry site because I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a misprint. Unbelievable. Really.

It is necessary to allow horse's bodies to regenerate from cellular damage from extertion. It takes well over a week for even the fittest horse on earth to regenerate damage and replace red blood cells from even a mild effort. Anyone who foxhunts knows this. (Sustained effort over an extended time period of heavy work.)

Shipping in a horse trailer is not rest and can't be counted as such. Shipping is the equivalent (according to studies with heart rate monitors) to walking. If you ship 10 hours it's like walking for 10 hours.

In horse racing there has been no triple crown winner for three decades. Gee whiz. Wonder why. Because only a SUPER HORSE can manage that kind of back-to-back-to-back-to-back schedule. Super, super, once in a lifetime kind of super.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    But, we are merely a chat forum and not behind the scenes.
    Then can you please offer some examples of circumstances in which this would be considered good horsemanship?

Add me to the disappointed list. Maybe make that disgusted ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

3 members found this post helpful.

... yikes.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Sad. Poor Veronica, not sure how this is worth it. A horse only has so many jumps.