The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default rider fit picture

Here is a pic of my in a trial saddle.

I am wondering what you think of the fit for me.

The saddle fits this horse better than any jump saddle I have ever had on her, she moves great in it.
    I did a three day clinic, her back was great, no soreness anywhere.
    I felt really confident doing the little jumps we were doing, could two point fairly easily.

Reason I am wondering is I have had some feedback that the saddle doesn't fit me.
    http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...6/riderfit.jpg
    Last edited by colorfan; May. 16, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: fix picture

Can't see the photo.

1. Either the seat is too small, or you are sitting too far back in the seat. When you scoot forward, can you fit a flat hand behind you?

2. Your stirrup is currently longer than it should be for jumping. If you shorten your stirrup until you have a 90 degree angle in your knee, is your knee still on the flap? Or is it over?

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks too small for you. Can you find the same saddle in a bigger seat size?

3 members found this post helpful.

Looks too small, and I agree that when your stirrup is jumping length it looks from this pic as though your knee will be up on/over the flap.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

My opinion, like others, your seat is probably an inch or so too small and you need a more forward flap. The length of the flap may or may not be good.
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the fit is okay for you. If we could see your skeleton, your pelvis is over the center of the seat. And it looks like you could go up a hole or two and still be in the flap without a problem.

But, I'm wondering about the fit for your horse. That's a very flat tree/panel on a curvy back. She may be comfy right now (especially if your previous saddle was making her sore), but long-term I'd be worried about the match. I'd like to see a pic of it on her with girth but no pad.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I say it's for sure too small. By normal standards of being able to get your hand behind you it looks like you *might* get a couple fingers. Flap wise it seems like I see a lot of riders with their leg in a similar spot on their flaps. I personally can't have my knee there it drives me nuts. I need to have more room in front of my leg

1 members found this post helpful.

There is no room to scoot forward. Next time I ride in this saddle I will shorten the stirrups and check, I suspect my knee will be over the flap.

Thank you for all your thoughts. Its a shame but the saddle is too small.

I agree that
    1) saddle seems too flat for the horse (emphasized by the panel configuration)
    2) I'd like to see you in the next size up in seats (try both 1/2" & 1")
    3) I'd like to see your stirrups up at a jumping length

I'm uncertain about the flap length, this will change with seat size anyway.

As to horse goes better in this saddle than previous jump saddles, this is why I like to recommend company reps that are able to put you & horse into models that you both like, then various seat sizes, tree sizes ... hopefully after a fitting demo, you'll have learned something about what each of you prefers. Then arrange as lengthy a trial period as possible with a few different saddles.

It's difficult to really assess a new saddle when the reference point is a saddle that fits poorly (or that horse dislikes for whatever reason).