The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crush & run to level stall floor?

Has anyone here used crush & run to level out a stall floor before putting down mats? If so, what did you use to pack it down? How much did you use for how large of a stall? Any tips are helpful. Thanks.

If you mean this stuff: http://www.westminsterlawn.com/wp-co...Run-EL-MCU.jpg

yes, I just did my stalls with it. we used a tamper you can rent from home depot. i have 12x12 stalls. How much you use depends on what it is sitting on and how level that is...

Thanks. The stall I'm working with is odd. It's 8x22. It needs quite a bit of leveling, but it's not too bad. I ordered 3 yards based on a chart provided by the vendor. The tamper is a great idea. Originally, I'd heard to use a 2x4, but on a stalll this size, that may be unreasonable.

I use a long, straight, board on edge to drag and level the material. I then wet it thoroughly and use a hand tamper to compact it. It usually takes 2 or 3 drag, wet, compact cycles to get it perfect.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bascule7 View Post
    Originally, I'd heard to use a 2x4, but on a stalll this size, that may be unreasonable.
    You do need to use a long straight board to do the initial leveling. Then use the tamper. I've used both the hand tamper and the electrical one. For a stall that large rent one.

Ok, so in the big scheme of things, is this the process:
    1.) Load all C&R into stall
    2.) Spread and distribute as evenly as possilble.
    3.) Spread more evenly using long board. I'm assuming something like a 1x4x6 or 8 will work?
    4.) Tamp the snot out of it with a vibrating plate tamper/compactor.
    Trying to decide how long I will need to rent the tamper. If I only need it at the end, 1 day should be more than enough?

Op, I also get a few bags of Portland cement, and mix it in over the top after we level and tamp. It gives the crusher run a little more stability without being as hard as concrete, and you can get it really level. It is ideal if you can let it cure for at least a week before putting mats and horses on it.. Good luck! Good stall mat prep is definitely worth the time.
    One day will be enough for the one stall if that is all you are doing...if your back and arms hold up. It isn't the amount of time it takes that is going to get you...it is running basically a jackhammer for a couple hours.

Heavier is better in a leveling board, otherwise it just rides up and over the high spots. Last stall I did was with a very heavy piece of angle iron.

Default It turnout great!

That would be turned out. I feel like I'm on an iPhone. Thanks to all of you. Raised the floor about 6 inches and even had enough left over to do my dry grooming stall and the barn aisle/area. If I had to do it again I would have wet it down more. It was damp when they dropped the load, but it dried out quickly and got a little dusty toward the end of the tamping. We let is sit for a day and then we loaded in our mats. We'll see how it stands up to hoof traffic and horse weight, but I'm really happy with the results. That will also hopefully solve a minor leak problem we were having no luck stopping.