The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2001
    Location
    Texas and Illinois U.S.
    Posts
    697

    Default Did any of the Barbaro full brothers become sucessfull race horses?

    I know about Nicanor and Lentanor, but was this breeding repeated
    and if so what are the results?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    4,992

    Default

    Depends on your criteria for success.

    In addition to Nicanor and Lentenor, there is Margano and the as yet unraced Pennmarydel.

    All three of the older full siblings won allowances and were stakes placed. Lentenor won an ungraded stakes. None have come close to being the second coming of their brother, and I don't think that should be expected.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Depends on your criteria for success.

    In addition to Nicanor and Lentenor, there is Margano and the as yet unraced Pennmarydel.

    All three of the older full siblings won allowances and were stakes placed. Lentenor won an ungraded stakes. None have come close to being the second coming of their brother, and I don't think that should be expected.
    Full siblings almost never do. You have to dive through old race records to find out if My Play was anything besides Man o' War's full brother.
    **********
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

    **********
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCamry View Post
    Full siblings almost never do. You have to dive through old race records to find out if My Play was anything besides Man o' War's full brother.
    I think Man o' War had four full siblings (at least after his foaling, Mahuba was never bred to anyone but Fair Play.) And none were anywhere as notable as he was. Though of course Man o' War is a substantially higher bar to meet than Barbaro so that's even less surprising....

    OTOH, doesn't Zenyatta have a full sister with a similar running style?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2009
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    re Zenyatta, she has a 4 yr old HALF sister who appears to have some talent, but she has been very lightly raced to date. I think two for two, and is w/ J. Shirriffs. Name is Eblouissante, sire is Bernardini.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Posts
    4,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCamry View Post
    Full siblings almost never do. You have to dive through old race records to find out if My Play was anything besides Man o' War's full brother.
    You hardly need to go back into the mists of time. In just the last 10-15 years you have....

    Galileo was a dual Derby winner and champion. His full brother Black Sam Bellamy was a multiple G1 winner. Their full sister was 2nd in the Oaks to none other than Ouija Board.

    Banks Hill, Cacique, and Champs Elyses all full brothers and sister and all multiple G1 winners and their full brother Dansili was multiple G1 placed.

    Samum, Schiaparelli, and Salve Regina, full brothers and sister that between them won every G1 race in Germany, all three legs of German triple crown and the filly, besides winning the Oaks, even finished 2nd in the Derby and Grosser Preis Von Baden against older males.

    Ashado and Sunriver, full brother and sister and multiple G1 winners.

    After Market and Courageous Cat are full brothers and both multiple G1 winners. Their full brother Jalil is a G2 winner.

    If you want to go back further than that and you have the likes of Personal Flag/Personal Ensign, Try My Best/El Gran Senor. and too many others to mention.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,799

    Default

    In the Quarter Horse lines, the breedings of Three Bars/ChicadoV produced multiple top runners.Here's her story

    http://americashorsedaily.com/chicado-v/
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    You hardly need to go back into the mists of time. In just the last 10-15 years you have....

    Galileo was a dual Derby winner and champion. His full brother Black Sam Bellamy was a multiple G1 winner. Their full sister was 2nd in the Oaks to none other than Ouija Board.

    Banks Hill, Cacique, and Champs Elyses all full brothers and sister and all multiple G1 winners and their full brother Dansili was multiple G1 placed.

    Samum, Schiaparelli, and Salve Regina, full brothers and sister that between them won every G1 race in Germany, all three legs of German triple crown and the filly, besides winning the Oaks, even finished 2nd in the Derby and Grosser Preis Von Baden against older males.

    Ashado and Sunriver, full brother and sister and multiple G1 winners.

    After Market and Courageous Cat are full brothers and both multiple G1 winners. Their full brother Jalil is a G2 winner.

    If you want to go back further than that and you have the likes of Personal Flag/Personal Ensign, Try My Best/El Gran Senor. and too many others to mention.
    **********
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

    **********
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2006
    Location
    Seabeck - the soggy peninsula
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCamry View Post
    Double that with a little sigh on top. Some folks always have something to prove.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

    John F Kennedy



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    In the Quarter Horse lines, the breedings of Three Bars/ChicadoV produced multiple top runners.Here's her story

    http://americashorsedaily.com/chicado-v/
    Superb!
    **********
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

    **********
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2009
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    re Zenyatta, she has a 4 yr old HALF sister who appears to have some talent, but she has been very lightly raced to date. I think two for two, and is w/ J. Shirriffs. Name is Eblouissante, sire is Bernardini.
    Isn't Balance another half sister that did fairly well ? Not as successful as Z, but not too shabby either.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 30, 2003
    Location
    The Old Northwest
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    Isn't Balance another half sister that did fairly well ? Not as successful as Z, but not too shabby either.
    Yes. Balance was a 3x G1 winner and earned $1,048,491.

    When Zenyatta started racing, she was probably referred to as "Balance's half sister". As Z's career went on, I think Balance became known as "Zenyatta's half sister", if you get me. LOL
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Can you tell we're brothers? Or reliable matches...
    By Clarion in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jul. 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
  2. Why are race horses raced so young?
    By Risk-Averse Rider in forum Racing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: May. 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
  3. On Barbaro...
    By tbtrailrider in forum Off Course
    Replies: 346
    Last Post: Jan. 29, 2007, 01:32 PM
  4. Riding race horses in their stalls
    By Auventera Two in forum Racing
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: Dec. 14, 2005, 09:08 PM
  5. Favorite race horses
    By just_me in forum Racing
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: Mar. 10, 2002, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness