The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Jingling like crazy for Mama and baby! Keep us posted!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Many many many jingles from Don't Look Back Farm!!!!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your mare. Please keep us updated when you can. Sending lots and lots of jingles!!!! Hang in there!

Massive jingles for mamma and baby from Australia!

P.

Sending Friday jingles. How lucky you were that your mare was at the clinic when she twisted. I lost a mare to a twisted colon in 2005, despite jumping right on it and getting her in for surgery. Continued jingles for your mare. Keep the faith. The vets always give the worst case scenario so that you do not get too high hopes. My bet is that she will be fine and raise that lovely big foal. Hang in there. COTH has your back with jingles - and jingles are powerful.

I'm jingling like crazy for your mare's complete recovery!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Thank you so much for all the support of COTHer's!! I must shamefully admit that I have not been consistent about posting "jingles" for others on COTH when needed. Now that I am on the other side and see how much it really helps I feel horrible

The foal continues to do super. My mare is about the same, but that is better than worse. Her appetite is so-so but I think it may be related to taking so many foul tasting oral meds. A few times over the past decade or so I tried to give her oral bute (even the flavored powder) here and there for small ailments and she would go on a hunger protest for the day. We are hoping that once she can be taken off the metronidazole her appetite will improve.

Home Again...I remember when your mare passed. It was the first thing I thought of actually when they called me to say my mare was colicing. I remember how stunning she was and the other day I went to your website to look at her again. So yes, I am beyond grateful that coincidentally they were already at the vet school when this happened. Fate, Karma, luck, whatever...I'll take it.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Thank you so much for all the support of COTHer's!! I must shamefully admit that I have not been consistent about posting "jingles" for others on COTH when needed. Now that I am on the other side and see how much it really helps I feel horrible

The foal continues to do super. My mare is about the same, but that is better than worse. Her appetite is so-so but I think it may be related to taking so many foul tasting oral meds. A few times over the past decade or so I tried to give her oral bute (even the flavored powder) here and there for small ailments and she would go on a hunger protest for the day. We are hoping that once she can be taken off the metronidazole her appetite will improve.

Home Again...I remember when your mare passed. It was the first thing I thought of actually when they called me to say my mare was colicing. I remember how stunning she was and the other day I went to your website to look at her again. So yes, I am beyond grateful that coincidentally they were already at the vet school when this happened. Fate, Karma, luck, whatever...I'll take it.
    Good luck is a wonderful thing. Hoping that it continues!

Glad the foal is okay and still jingling for the mare.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Jingles! And a hug for you! You must be spent!

Jingles!!!!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Sending loads of jingles - lovely, lovely mare (nice website!). Great news the baby is doing well too.

Have they tried giving the Metronidazole rectally? We have a horse here that has to keep going on it and he quits eating all food if we try to give it orally. Once we switched to rectally, he was fine and ate normally.
    Still jingling for your mare!

Zillion jingles for your mare, Blume Farm!

Interesting, I have never heard of metronidazole being given rectally. They have stopped administering it for now as she is passing normal manure. I will have to keep that in my brain if in the future I need to administer MTZ again.

I spoke with the vet today on her case and she said Dorfblume is doing better. She is much more comfortable, her appetite is a little better, her blood work is slightly improved. She is going to have to wear this belly band for the next month to protect her incision from the foal nursing...that is going to be a bummer in the heat of June in NC. I foresee a very itchy mare!

Stupidly I did a paper search on colonic volvulus and have now freaked myself out. There is a fairly high rate of reoccurrence (7-20% depending on the paper). The higher % probably is in mares that have been rebred subsequent years after surgery. That fully confirms Dorfblume's retirement to ET only!! Also one paper showed a 2 year survival rate of only 34%. I could only access the abstract so not sure how that figure was determined. Either way I think she will now live with her foal alert monitor on a halter so I will be notified if she begins rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by ticofuzzy View Post
    Have they tried giving the Metronidazole rectally? We have a horse here that has to keep going on it and he quits eating all food if we try to give it orally. Once we switched to rectally, he was fine and ate normally.
    Still jingling for your mare!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

More jingles and positive thoughts.

I know how ichy my mare was wearing a belly band in November in Canada...I cannot imagine this time of year!! I am quite sure I would do the same thing as you if it was my mare!! Continued jingles!!

I had a mare who had colic surgery 20 hours post foaling and she also had to wear a belly band for a long time. It was HOT and she did fine with it. It didn't seem to bother her at all.

Jingles and prayers for your mare, foal and you. It's so hard to see them suffer -- hoping for a great outcome!
    PennyG

More jingles and prayers for your mare.

I have had both good, and bad luck with colic surgeries (not my mares, just under my care). One mare, with 2-month filly at side and carrying 30-day embryo had a mild displacement. Vets opened her up, put everything back in place, and mare was good as new. Filly did fine, and mare foaled a big healthy colt 10 months later.

Another very, very nice mare had a 3-month-old filly at side, was back in foal, suffered a severe torsion. She was rushed to the clinic (barely 10 minutes away) and came through surgery fine. The mare had all the best care, hyperbaric treatments, etc; her owner spared no expense and went all-out. However, a week later, still at the hospital and wearing a belly sling as much as possible, her incision dehisced... the attendant said she heard "a ripping sound, and then this horrible gush." The vet called me at 2am, saying basically the mare's sutures came unzipped and all her guts spilled onto the floor, there wasn't much they could do. An awful, horrible loss, and I hated making the phone call to the owner. It wasn't much consolation, but the mare was insured, and at least the owner and vets knew they did everything possible to help the mare heal.

Don't mean to spread doom and gloom... colics make me nervous, I've seen how devastating it can be. Thoughts are with you and your mare.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~