The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My roan (technically an app) sits on the back bar of the trailer and comes off with big poop stain on her butt and poop ground into her tail every.single.time.

I have to share the trick I learned on CotH...I used that orange smelling hand scrubby stuff for mechanics (sorry, I took it from my husbands shop, I have no clue what it's called) and used it on the mane and tail of my grey (white) mare. It worked REALLY well. The ends were so yellow and ugly and after one washing they were much better, but after 2 they are sparkling white. Now I'll buy stock in show sheen to keep them from yellowing again! The cactus cloth does a pretty good job getting grass stains off the knees and hocks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    How about grey *and* 4 white socks? This is a pretty typical every day picture - altho he's a lot lighter color now (pic is about 3 years old). Note nice green front socks and lovely green spotting overall! I don't even bother trying to keep him clean on a daily basis - brushed well, yes, but clean? I'm just not that compulsive.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps96d136d9.jpg
    Picked up my new grey boy today (I'm in love already). He actually has 3 white socks, luckily he is also pretty light now and you can't see it very well.

I know how you all feel. I work for a race trainer at his farm and we have to keep all the horses shiny and clean. They get turned out so on top of the clay they have the lovely spring grass poop. About 80% of them insist on laying in that poop!

I just put down my old grey fellow this past fall. He made it to his grand old thirties, but melanoma finally caught up with him. I bought him from a rescue and didn't get a good look at his filthy coat until he came home. After several layers of dirt came off, I noticed he was a flea-bitten grey, LOL!
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
    Picked up my new grey boy today (I'm in love already). He actually has 3 white socks, luckily he is also pretty light now and you can't see it very well.
    Yep, mine it too now, which mean the green just extends in a seamless smear from hoof to back!

Stopped by the barn today to check him (it's his day off) and found him rolling in the only muddy spot in the pasture. He certainly was enjoying himself but dang! is he dirty!!!!

All you grey owners... can you help someone completely unfamiliar with all the various shades? I've seen fleabitten, white, dapple, etc. How many different shades ARE there, and any way to tell which one (if any) a foal will end up? My foal is the product of an accident (seriously) - mare was on a long-term free lease and wound up pregnant.

Foal at 4 months (now)

Dam & Foal
    Sire
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

hard to tell when they are foals. Cloudy was out of a grey mare, but had a dark bay and white pinto sire. He was dapple grey and white pinto when I bought him, with blaze and 4 high whites, and white tail and a mane 3/4 white and 1/4 grey. Over the years, he's gone to flea bitten grey and white, and now looks "white" except for summer when his hair is so sparse that he looks pink with flea bitten light grey spots on his skin where he used to be grey.

People tell me he probably was a reddish grey/roan when he was a colt, but his keuring papers show him as a grey and white pinto, with all the white markings, and the white unterlippe.

Don't worry about what your grey looks like when he's clean. You won't see that too often except right after bathing.

Haha I was hoping she would be a dark bay like mama, who hates to be dirty looks like lots of baths in our future!

Every consider having your grey wear pajamas fulltime? I love them, too, but don't think I could stand how filthy some of them get!

I try to look on the positive side - at least I know my grey is laying down even if it is in manure and getting some rest.

What about all the little scrapes and nicks - those show up more than on darker colors. My gelding is accident prone and it seems everyday he has a new nick or scrape.

Trainer's DH: I am so mad at you!
    Trainer: Why?
    Trainer's DH: You said you wouldn't buy any more horses right now. I just drove up and I see a brand new black horse in the pasture! What were you thinking?
    Trainer (looking out window): That is kch7238's fleabitten grey horse, he has rolled in the mud so much he looks black now!

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    All you grey owners... can you help someone completely unfamiliar with all the various shades? I've seen fleabitten, white, dapple, etc. How many different shades ARE there, and any way to tell which one (if any) a foal will end up? My foal is the product of an accident (seriously) - mare was on a long-term free lease and wound up pregnant.

Foal at 4 months (now)

Dam & Foal
    Sire
    Oh goodness, the short answer is "No." The mare I ride started chestnut, turned Rose Grey, then Dapple grey, then fleabitten..

Will probably end up grey-usually(not always) if there is a grey parent the foal ends up grey of some sort.
    I had a Arab mare that was out of a chesnut mare and a grey sire-she was born chesnut and the turned rose grey and then dappled grey and then got whiter with flea bites as she got older-she did keep a very dark almost black mane and tail though.
    And yes she was a "poo pony"-she would very neatly pile all her manure on one side of stall and then sleep with her head on it-permanent brown stain on her head led to the nick-name "S***head"
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh Lord- show on Sat and I know the work ahead! I thought she was pretty clean during the winter, blanketed and all. I brought her out on a snowy day to take her passport photo- dirty white body with beige neck and yellow tail, even tho it lives in a tail bag for the winter. WHY can't they stay that lovely dark gray dapple colour? Not fair!

I feel everyone's pain. The only thing that saves me is that I don't show. I have a fleabitten gray who looks blindingly white in the winter and blindingly white with a few spots in the summer. That is, if you could see his actual color. His favorite napping place is the manure pile, and he will find any spot that is even slightly damp to roll in. My daughter says it's because our other horse is a Paint, and the gray is a wanna-be paint.

I just get used to the snide comments my neighbors make when I drive my stained horse through the neighborhood.

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by _BrionesRider_ View Post
    Oh goodness, the short answer is "No." The mare I ride started chestnut, turned Rose Grey, then Dapple grey, then fleabitten..
    That's what I figured.... it's like a surprise! haha

I feel your pain. I have two greys. Actually a flea bitten grey and one who is pretty much white at this point. Flea bitten mare is pretty good about saying clean (except when she's blanketed), but the white dude gets dirty on the top of his back mostly? Here's a pic of the cuties. (note the blanket of dirt on the gelding...)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirtygreys2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	38413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirtygreys.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	38414
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Kari, it's great to see he's doing well! And getting filthy!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    No such luck for you. Mondy has Classico lines -- if he ages like my Torbellino mare he will probably end up white-grey with an iron grey mane. I have a Profeta son who at age 4 is still somewhat dapply grey with the aforementioned and lusted-after metallic sheen mane -- when he's clean it actually looks like spun steel. He'll likely end up pure white. Only way to KEEP him clean is to use a concoction shared with me by another horse person that involves OxyClean and shampoo, then promptly shrinkwrap him (or as close to it as I can manage) with a sheet. Oh, and being a mouthy stud he thinks it's great fun to figure out ways to wriggle out of the sheet overnight. Last year I think he went into the class at Nationals with a big spot on his butt because he managed to escape and it was too darn cold in Lexington that day to re-wash him.

If anyone has recommendations for dry shampoos that work on grey horses, I'd love to hear them...
    Baby wipes!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!