The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    Golly, you sound condescending. Dear. Sneer much?
    Uh, did you bother to read my suggestions to the OP before automatically deciding that my response to "0Chimera0"'s comment was out of line, or did you not bother? Just wondering, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Guess you don't read much for comprehension, do you dear? My "suggestion" was to contact a local wildlife removal company. And guess what? That's just what the OP did & the problem will be solved without bloodshed. Go figure.
    Now who's failing reading comprehension? That suggestion doesn't qualify as "DIY resourcefulness" or "creative" in the slightest.

Bloodshed. Really. What are we killing here, a child? I suppose when you eat bacon you hate yourself for how murderous you are too...

3 members found this post helpful.

My goodness, with the forums down for a couple of days, I thought folks would be so happy to be back, they might play nice. At least for a little while... Boy, I was wrong.

Sorry about the squirrel, vfx, and hope you get him evicted and can sleep soon. When I saw the thread title, the first thing that popped in my head was that UB40 song about, "I've got a rat in my kitchen, what am I gonna do?!" Now I can't get it out of my head!

Buy a hav-a-hart trap. They are cheaper at the hardware stores than they are on line.

Bait trap with roasted peanuts or other cracked nuts like pecans.
    If there is no water source for squirrel in basement, then add some water to the trap.

Squireel goes into trap and is caught.

Place squirrel and trap outside and open trap.

While you can buy a small trap, it is best to invest in a large trap for about $100 as you can use it to catch raccoons and cats and other larger animals.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Chimera0 View Post
    Now who's failing reading comprehension? That suggestion doesn't qualify as "DIY resourcefulness" or "creative" in the slightest.

Bloodshed. Really. What are we killing here, a child? I suppose when you eat bacon you hate yourself for how murderous you are too...
    Oh for heaven's sake. Whatever dear.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    Buy a hav-a-hart trap. They are cheaper at the hardware stores than they are on line.

Bait trap with roasted peanuts or other cracked nuts like pecans.
    If there is no water source for squirrel in basement, then add some water to the trap.

Squireel goes into trap and is caught.

Place squirrel and trap outside and open trap.

While you can buy a small trap, it is best to invest in a large trap for about $100 as you can use it to catch raccoons and cats and other larger animals.
    Seconding this; we've had a lot of luck with these. You can use it over and over again, in case you find yourself with a repeat offender :-P

And sorry horsepoor; I've never experienced being attacked on the forums before. I've seen it happen but never really expected to find myself being victimized. There does seem to be something about horse forums, though, that bring out the unhappy types. Oh well, lesson learned. Next time I'll shake my head and walk away.

Ah, yes, and looking at Bacardi's other recent posts... she was definitely out to pick a fight. I'm embarrassed for myself that I fell for it. I'm sorry ya'll!

5 members found this post helpful.

I think the trap I *have* is the have-a-heart trap. Problem is, Mr. Squirrel doesn't want to seem to go in it. We'll see what the expert can do tomorrow. I assume she's got some secret method of de-piping squirrels. I can't be the first person this has happened to, although everyone I asked said "don't squirrels usually end up in attics, not basements?" I have an over-achieving squirrel.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Be glad the squirrel didn't end up in the attic instead, or you would be calling a trapper, and an electrician.

Make sure you get the heat pipe covered, and while that's being done check the cover on any other chimney flues, or other vent pipes on the roof, or you might have something move in again.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Oh for heaven's sake. Whatever dear.
    Do you think ending every post with 'dear' makes you sound any less condescending and nasty?

7 members found this post helpful.

That's why you want a big trap. Animals don't want to go into tiny traps/confined spaces. If you pay for a $100 or so trap, you can use it for raccoons and squirrels and cats and opossums. Dog traps are bigger and more expensive, but animal control will usually loan you dog traps.

Hav-a-hart traps are great and last for years if you put them up in garage or basement when not needed. Easy for you and harmless to the animals you want to trap.

1 members found this post helpful.

I feel for you vxf111!

We had a momma racoon who somehow managed to make a nursery for her 5 babies in the section of our house that has a "bump out" between the first and second floors.

For weeks whenever we were in the room, we would here dragging and shuffling noises. Eventually we also started to hear chirping like sounds. It drove my husband crazy. We tried traps but she refused to be caught.

We finally got a wildlife animal control guy and he was able to remove the babies. Unfortunately, he had to cut at least 5 squares out of the ceiling to do so.

At least the wildlife center was thrilled to get the babies because they were the perfect age for training volunteers how to feed and handle wild animals.

Poor mamma kept coming back the next few nights, further driving my husband to distraction. Out of desperation, I decided to play LOUD techno music from the first floor and LOUD rap music from the second floor one day in an attempt to drive her out.

It succeeded in driving me out of the house for the day and scaring the &*^% out of our dogs and cats.

That night we still heard the shuffling and thumping. This from the room that now has duct tape covering the 5 squares in the ceiling. Now I know where the inspiration for the Coyote vs Roadrunner cartoons come from.

She did eventually move away and we covered the garage vent where she gained access.

We still have the duct tape covering those squares though!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0Chimera0 View Post
    Could you vacuum cleaner him out? Not that he'd get sucked into the machine, per se, but rather to "grab" him long enough to go into a cage?
    I used my horse vacuum once to blow a snake out from under the refrigerator. Snake in the house, yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by JBD View Post
    I used my horse vacuum once to blow a snake out from under the refrigerator. Snake in the house, yuck!
    I would not be posting asking for advice. I would be 6 feet under. THAT would scare me TO DEATH.
    ~Veronica

Squirrel was seen on the ground NEAR the trap. So maybe he's getting hungry. Just in time for the wildlife trapper to come tomorrow and wonder why it's so easy and I couldn't trap the squirrel.
    ~Veronica

Ugh. Okay, I'll outline it for ya, dear. Squirrels - like other very small mammals - have a LOT of soft tissue. Sucking them up against the tube of a vacuum - if it doesn't kill them immediately - will end up killing them slowly, since all their innards will be violently sucked towards the tube. Get it now?? They may look like tough little varmints from the outside, but they actually ain't. Ask a vet if you doubt me. Geesh.
    I hardly think a household vacuum has enough power to addle a squirrel's innards. And I'm not your dear.

Also, this guy would disagree with you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ4w9CdgxKg
    Quarry Rat

4 members found this post helpful.

The squirrel is gone. Unfortunately, it was not a happy ending.

Apparently this was a juvenile squirrel. So it was too young to understand to drink the water I left out for it and it would have never gone in the trap because it was too young to identify the peanut butter and other goodies as food.

It crawled into the sump pump and died. It was removed.

Please send positive juju that this was the only one. The trapper did say that sometimes she goes out and removes one... only to have the people call back and report there were actually 2 the entire time.

RIP poor squirrel. We tried.

The big angry cat is back in his territory and the screaming has ceased. For now.
    ~Veronica

Aww good for you for trying - and for caring about the unlucky little guy. Last week I had a similar situation with a squirrel somehow getting in my great room - but by the time I got home from work, the only evidence was a tail and a lot of knocked down furniture & pictures. I have 12 cats & 3 dogs inside, poor little devil snuck into the *wrong* house!

Sorry about the squirrel. We had a family of small weasels who lived in our house for a couple of months. One of them came through the bedroom closet and came face to face with one of our cats. Luckily the weasel backed down.

At one point my husband saw a weasel dragging a mouse into our garage so he/she could it it!

He tried for weeks to trap it/them but we never had any luck. Eventually they seemed to have left. We concluded that there were no more mice in the house so they found another home.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

That's both ridiculous & cruel. One has to wonder how your brain works dear.

And yes, companies that deal with wildlife in houses don't automatically kill them. Except for protected species, it's the homeowner's choice.
    Pot, meet kettle. What's CRUEL is YOU and your treatment of other fellow humans.

Another one for the IGNORE list.

2 members found this post helpful.

I learned many non-endearing things about squirrel life from the trapper...

1. The males impregnate the females and then disappear. They will kill babies, even their own, so the females chase them away

2. The females will eat all babies if they find a nest that isn't theirs

3. They appear to have fully dismantled part of the chimney

4. They have chewed a hole in my heater pipe meaning it will exhaust in the house if I turn it on. So it's no longer safe to use
    ~Veronica