The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Squirrel in Basement. At Wit's End. Sic the cat on him or other plan?!

Monday I came down to the basement and discovered a live squirrel hanging on the wall. After much screaming, we determined that he came in through a pipe to the heater. The squirrel must have been on the roof, got into the pipe, and fell down to the basement. He can get back into the pipe, and he's been mostly hiding in there, but he can't get back OUT. We turned off the heat so as not to cook the squirrel (the pipe he's in is a heating pipe). It went below freezing on Monday. So we were cold. Because of the damn squirrel.

As if that alone isn't enough of a problem, I have one very loud, very large, very irritable cat who doesn't get along with the other cats. Big, purebred, former cryptorchid, uncooperative cat. He is a BIGTIME screamer and change adverse. Normally he lives in the basement and kitchen with a baby gate separating him from the other cats who have the run of the remainder of the house. At night, we shut the angry cat in the basement so his screaming doesn't keep us awake (and he will scream all night if anything happens to piss him off-- we just can't hear it when he's in the basement).

Once the squirrel arrived, I was worried he'd get hurt by the squirrel so currently we're shuffling him from bedroom to bedroom which upsets him (change adverse) and has resulted in several sleepless, screamy nights since Monday. Nonstop howling ALL NIGHT LONG. He will not let us sleep a wink. We can't do laundry (the machines are in the basement). We're kind of at our wits end. I need this squirrel gone YESTERDAY.

We bought one of those live traps and baited it with an open face peanut butter sandwich, apple slices, and peanuts. We have been changing the food daily to keep it fresh. We covered the trap with a towel and left a small dish of water next to it. The trap is right underneath the pipe. So far the squirrel hasn't gone near it. He's alive, we sometimes see him and hear him scurrying. But he hasn't been tempted by the food.

What are we doing wrong? Why doesn't he go into the trap? Isn't he hungry? Doesn't he know he's torturing us? DOESN'T HE HEAR THE CAT SCREAMING!?!

This afternoon, I am debating taking off work early and taking the angry cat to the vet and boarding him. I CANNOT TAKE ONE MORE MINUTE OF THE SCREAMING. What are my other options? Let him in the basement with the squirrel? The cat might kill the squirrel (fine). He also might not. He's a big, fat, inside-only dumb-witted purebred (ragdoll) who, to my knowledge, has never caught anything other than other cats who he happily kicks the stuffing out of. So... maybe he IS capable of killing a squirrel. But what about him?! The squirrel might bite/claw him. Up close, they're kind of tough seeming? Or even worse, if I let the cat back down in the basement the squirrel might be too scared to come out and die inside the wall or inside the pipe. That would be the worst outcome. But at least I'd have my sleep and (temporarily) sanity?!

Maybe I should just throw the cat down there with the damn squirrel and see what happens. Other ideas for dealing with my stupid cat and/or trapping this damn squirrel?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Put the screaming cat in the basement

Mr Squirrel will either figure a way out, get in the trap, or be a Happy Meal for "Ol One Nut".

Don't change your life for a squirrel. He'll either find a way out or die in the pipe. It will only smell bad for about 5 days once the weather gets warm.

6 members found this post helpful.

Squirrel could easily do a LOT of damage to your cat, whether the cat ends up killing it or not.

Bite the bullet & call a local exterminator. End of problem.

Once the squirrel arrived, I was worried he'd get hurt by the squirre
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Mr Squirrel will either figure a way out, get in the trap, or be a Happy Meal for "Ol One Nut".

Don't change your life for a squirrel. He'll either find a way out or die in the pipe. It will only smell bad for about 5 days once the weather gets warm.

they make a have-a-heart trap squirrel size.
    I cannot tell you if it works though, Mr Chippy did not get in, instead croaked next to my bed (which I did not endure for 5 days...)

but yeah, let the cat at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    huh?
    Did I mention I haven't slept in 3 days?!

Once the squirrel arrived, I was worried the cat would get hurt by the squirrel.

I still am worried about that. Except I'm also being driven insane by the cat!
    ~Veronica

Again - call a wildlife exterminator. End of problem. (And even though they're sometimes called "wildlife exterminators", they don't necessarily kill the problem critter. Just remove it from where it's not supposed to be & then release it.

4 members found this post helpful.

It hadn't actually occured to me that someone might be willing to come trap it rather than kill/poison it (my frame of reference for exterminators is that they come out and kill rodents, not trap and remove). That would be the ultimate solution!
    ~Veronica

Could you vacuum cleaner him out? Not that he'd get sucked into the machine, per se, but rather to "grab" him long enough to go into a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by 0Chimera0 View Post
    Could you vacuum cleaner him out? Not that he'd get sucked into the machine, per se, but rather to "grab" him long enough to go into a cage?
    That's both ridiculous & cruel. One has to wonder how your brain works dear.

And yes, companies that deal with wildlife in houses don't automatically kill them. Except for protected species, it's the homeowner's choice.

I would think being snagged by a vacuum wand for a moment before being dropped into a trap and then released outside is less cruel than letting it die in the tube...
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I would think being snagged by a vacuum wand for a moment before being dropped into a trap and then released outside is less cruel than letting it die in the tube...
    Ugh. Okay, I'll outline it for ya, dear. Squirrels - like other very small mammals - have a LOT of soft tissue. Sucking them up against the tube of a vacuum - if it doesn't kill them immediately - will end up killing them slowly, since all their innards will be violently sucked towards the tube. Get it now?? They may look like tough little varmints from the outside, but they actually ain't. Ask a vet if you doubt me. Geesh.

I'm sorry vxf - but I'm really smiling at this and it is your fault for writing it in such an amusing way.

Poor little thing will begetting hungry and thirsty by now and that is a nasty way to die. Fishing net? Nuts? Wildlife fellow? I doubt my vacuum wold have the strength to do much damage to a squirrel, but you gotta getclose to him first. Do watch out they can be fierce little things when cornered.

My husband is very possessive of his walnut tree that he grew from a little tree and wages war on them every fall (without killing them).. He really should learn to share.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have never wished death on this creature. I quite like squirrels. But the inn is full and we're not accepting any new rodent "pets." So he HAS TO GO. A wildlifer trapper is coming tomorrow, she promises to catch and release. My big fat bad cat's hunting glory moment in the sun will have to wait
    ~Veronica

2 members found this post helpful.

Bacardi, might want to stay off the forums when you're feeling that witchy. why not try some good, old-fashioned DIY resourcefulness sometime? I don't hear you coming up with any creative ideas. Squirrels are disease carriers just as rats are. Didn't realize the classic mousetraps are now "ridiculous and cruel".

Given, my family is very DIY-country. I have plenty of city friends that would just call the exterminator

Oh cool, problem solved then. Best of luck - hope it all goes smoothly and ya'll don't end up feeling like Wil E Coyote after the roadrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I have never wished death on this creature. I quite like squirrels. But the inn is full and we're not accepting any new rodent "pets." So he HAS TO GO. A wildlifer trapper is coming tomorrow, she promises to catch and release. My big fat bad cat's hunting glory moment in the sun will have to wait
    I see you do not garden.
    Squirrels are right up their on the list with Japanese Beetles and Poison Ivy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Squirrels like bird seed. Dogs like squirrels.

My SO left a 5-gallon pail of birdseed on our screened porch one winter, and as soon as the squirrels figured it out, they chewed through the screen in several locations and lined up for squirrel Thanksgiving. Once they got in, they decided they liked the porch and kept coming back, even after the birdseed was all gone. One day I came home from work and without really thinking about it, let the two Labs out the sliding door into a porch full of squirrels, sunbathing on the patio furniture. It was a cartoon moment full of flying squirrels looking for the exits, black dog and yellow dog chasing squirrels in all directions, and in the end, the census was down by 3. Not a drop of blood was shed and I don't think the Labs even knew they had killed the squirrels - I think they thought they were like toys that once you shake them and drop them, they just stay still til the next time you pick them up! And I'm not sure the squirrels knew what hit them. Lesson to be learned: that was a very expensive bucket of birdseed. The guy charged us almost $500 to replace the screens.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Kudos to you for taking the right path to solve this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Chimera0 View Post
    Bacardi, might want to stay off the forums when you're feeling that witchy. why not try some good, old-fashioned DIY resourcefulness sometime? I don't hear you coming up with any creative ideas. Squirrels are disease carriers just as rats are. Didn't realize the classic mousetraps are now "ridiculous and cruel".

Given, my family is very DIY-country. I have plenty of city friends that would just call the exterminator

Oh cool, problem solved then. Best of luck - hope it all goes smoothly and ya'll don't end up feeling like Wil E Coyote after the roadrunner.
    Guess you don't read much for comprehension, do you dear? My "suggestion" was to contact a local wildlife removal company. And guess what? That's just what the OP did & the problem will be solved without bloodshed. Go figure.

Golly, you sound condescending. Dear. Sneer much?
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz