The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ulcers in Foals

I want to start by saying the foal is under veterinary care. I am just looking for experiences as I am a little new at this.

Ok filly is 2 months old and all of the sudden stopped eating grain. She had been sharing with her mother as well as we have a separate bucket for her.

We had tried to put out a creep feeder for her but she wouldn't use it.

Spoke with the vet and other than possibly some teeth grinding she was showing no other symptoms of ulcers, but decided to treat anyway as it can't hurt. She will get her third dose today so just at the beginning of treatment.

My question for you all is could she have just decided that the grain isn't super tasty and doesn't want to eat it (it is a plain pelleted food)? She is still grazing and nursing. No change in her activity and so far (it’s only been a week) no major changes in body condition.

TIA for any experiences or helpful advice.
    Last edited by InfiniteLoopFarm; May. 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Teeth grinding is more than enough reason to treat a foal for ulcers. Treat with the "real stuff" ie gastrogard/ulcergard because foals can easily die from ulcers if not caught in time. Jingles.

We are treating with ulcergard. Sorry should have mentioned that.

Hopefully that will do the trick and everything will be fine. You will want to treat at least a week at weaning time as well.

Yes, I agree with Laurie. Teeth grinding is a real telltale sign of stomach issues/ulcers. Don't scrimp on the treatment, better to over treat than under. Keep treating well after the symptoms have gone. And be aware that this foal may be prone to ulcer breakouts whenever placed under stress such as weaning, training, showing, traveling, etc.

It is unlikely that she has now decided that she no longer likes plain pellets. Unless this is a recent feed change from a rich muesli type feed?

No there has been no change in feed.