The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse walking stiff after treatment with steroids for hives

Any ideas on what makes my horse walk like he foundered on all 4 after a short (7 day) course of dex for his hives. The vet is thinking low grade laminitis even without heat in the feet and bounding pulse. He is now on Robaxin and banamine without much improvement.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Dex can trigger laminitis in a IR horse or one that is hovering towards being IR. You can read more in the Yahoo Cushings/IR group about it. I just found this out yesterday! They often use a Dex suppression test to test the horse for IR. (someone on here will know much more about it than me but Dex is definitely a trigger for laminitis. Good luck with your boy.

I thought a horse would have warm feet and a strong pulse if they had laminitis? That's the part I don't get.

I did just find this:
    "Subacute cases, commonly observed in horses with equine metabolic syndrome, may exhibit any or all of the above clinical signs but to a lesser degree. Often, there is only a mild change in stance, with reluctance to walk and some increased sensitivity to concussion on the soles of the affected feet. There may be no demonstrable heat in the coronary band or increase in digital pulse. The acute and subacute forms of laminitis tend to recur at varying intervals and may develop into the chronic form."
    Last edited by harr754; May. 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added text

If it's very mild and you have a good eye you can catch laminitis before heat or a pulse is there. I'd start treating as if just to be safe.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.

Yikes - I teat my horses' hives with Dex.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

The other odd thing is that he didn't respond to the hoof testers - wouldn't a laminitic horse respond to hoof testers?

Not always. It depends on the horse, the tester, and the degree of inflammation.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

No they do not always respond to hoof testers if it is slight. My horse actually responds to tester with no founder issues but he is low in the heel and long toed which is being corrected with shoeing yet he is sensitive to tester because of this.

Our pony had a very slight founder. No rotation, no laminae issues but I noticed within an hour that he had a founder stance, vet out immediately and farrier, he never responded to hoof tester either. He just would stand out and didn't want to move forward. He went right in a deep bedded stall and treated as founder and was better by the next day. You can catch it very early in the stages if you know what to look for and if the horse is sensitive to pain helps.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

My non IR horse became mildly laminitic from dex (prescribed by vet for allergies). He presented as stiff, walking on eggshells, and hoof testers did not elicit much reaction. I remember reading or hearing from the vet then that steroid induced laminitis has more of an effect on the whole hoof not just the toe, so hoof tester reaction is different. We were very careful about steroid use in that horse after that, as he must be sensitive. No dex, and very cautious about joint injections.

Took x-rays of front feet today which showed long toe on both feet, slightly changing the angle of the coffin bone. Also he is thin soled. Farrier is coming tomorroe to trim and put on a set of plates. His hind feet seem to be much better than before. Hope this helps him before the bute & banamine ulcerate his gut. Tried him on Previcox but it just doesn't cut the pain.

Thanks for all your input.