The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

After your story, I think you should really get a new trainer if you can. Neither of the trainers I use would ever allow me to buy a horse that was being peddled like that, and they also wouldn't want me to continue to ride it. A good trainer knows what kind of rider you are and will do their best to match you with the right horse. If I was you I would try to find the horse a good home somewhere, and then try to find a different trainer who will help you rebuild your confidence on the right kind of horse for you. You deserve at least that much.

The trainer who helped us get him is a trainer I now refuse to have anything to do with. Just not fond of her. The trainer I have now is amazing. He's really helped us get more relaxed and together. There is still work to do, but we're much better with this trainer.

Had our show yesterday. Horse spooked in one class, and full on bolted in the other. Got him under control and finished the test. Parents are upset with him, but, amazingly, I'm not too afraid of him. At least for right now. I'm not sure what happened- lack of sleep maybe.

Thanks for the replies everyone! We have lots of things to try, and lots of things to think about.
    Last edited by Kiera; May. 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Um, or TEST for EPM, you mean? I wouldn't treat without testing.

Kiera, you definitely should not be showing this horse if he is bolting in the show ring with you. And there is no point in being "upset" with the horse as you say your parents are. The horse isn't out to get you. He's just being who he is.

With the additional history on him that you have provided, I would guess that there was a reason he was in light work. He probably couldn't hold up to more, and he likely is reactive because of pain. It's really unfortunate, but that's just how it is sometimes. You could try modifying his work load to be much less and see how he does. Sadly, he sounds like a horse that might need a real step down in workload to stay sound and happy.

When ever there is a change in behavior, EPM should be considered.

Such as bolting for unexplained reasons, the horse may be seeing demons due to neurological issues.

FYI we treated a horse that was beginning to look like he was seeing something in the far away distance and the whites of his eyes made him look terrified.

He was pastured in the same pasture as another horse who had EPM, that was enough for us to treat, we treated him and low and behold his attitude changed for the better and he began do better in his training.

I feel for you in this very difficult situation. Honestly, I think you should stop riding this horse before he hurts you or permanently damages your confidence

You can either work with your vet to investigate possible pain issues causing his behavior, or you could try to find him a new home (for the right price, a new owner may be willing to do the vet work or, if nothing's physically wrong, provide him with a new training regimen).

Life is way too short to be riding horses that aren't the right match. Safety first - and from what you describe, this horse isn't safe for you right now.

This situation is often very difficult for parents to understand. You've gotten some good advice here. Maybe you could show them this thread?
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~