The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hard Jumper

I am used to riding my horse who jumps soft over almost every jump all the way up to 3'9. I don't slip or slide or move on her at all.
    I am riding a horse for a friend and this horse jumps really hard starting at 3'. Its almost like a 2 part jump...rear back to jump & push off hard, then round over the jump...not a hard landing just take off.

I don't feel like I am getting useated or about to fall or even wobbly. But my trainer thinks my body looks wobbly all over. Next time I ride we are videoing so I can see & match the feeling. I know some of it is just learning the horse's jump and being in rythim with him.

Any tips to stay with a hard jumper? That are different than just usual?

Thanks!

The best tip I can think of is grab mane!

1 members found this post helpful.

Stay on top and keep your weight in your heels. Don't get ahead of him. Eyes up help too. Grab mane if necessary. What fun! I love a jumper that jumps hard off the ground. Gotta love an athletic horse.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

2 members found this post helpful.

keep your body loose to follow the movement. If you stiffen up you're more likely to get jumped out of the tack.

You'll LOVE it once you get used to it! My a/o/open jumper jumped flat (through 1.3m), my new jumper prospect cracks his back at 2'6" & literally jumped me OFF the first time we jumped 3'9" lol.

Strengthen your core. That's what gives you the strength to control the rest of your body. And keep your leg on TIGHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Its almost like a 2 part jump...rear back to jump & push off hard, then round over the jump...not a hard landing just take off.
    Someone else mentioned this, make sure you're not anticipating/getting ahead.

My TB jumps "hard" compared to my warmblood, and I found that while the instinct was to "do more" to stay with him, I actually had to think about "doing less." He jumps huge. I don't need to push myself out of the tack any further! My hip closes when he takes off, I need to work to NOT move my center forward on him. Nice, light, following hand...I don't need to think much about a release, my hand wants to follow his head. The less I try and "do" on him, the better off the jump looks.

That little hiccup, pause between the two-parts...I've ridden horses like that, and they are GREAT for teaching you to wait for the fence. Hard to tell, but it is likely that when he does Part I, you're moving your Center of Gravity forward, closing your hip, which will make your position into and during Part II sloppy.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

That little hiccup, pause between the two-parts...I've ridden horses like that, and they are GREAT for teaching you to wait for the fence. Hard to tell, but it is likely that when he does Part I, you're moving your Center of Gravity forward, closing your hip, which will make your position into and during Part II sloppy.
    Excellent. I think that is exactly what I am doing during this pause! Because it is the 2nd half where I am sloppy & floppy. Now with a more direct part to fix I think I should be able to get it....Hopefully before the next show...

Thanks!

I would say I feel your pain, but it is more my STUDENT feels your pain. One of my lesson horses jumps hard at every jump. In fact she jumps every jump like this http://m297.photobucket.com/albumvie...l?o=8&newest=1 if not a bit bigger.

She is really teaching my student to wait for her to jump up to her as if she leans forward and does not stay in the center of the horse she will end up in her ears.

Get your core really strong, grab mane, and shorten your stirrups an extra hole.

One of my favorite horse to ride is like this! I really think about putting weight in my heels on take off AND on the landing side. I also make sure to sit up and back and not get ahead of him. Sometimes if I am too quick with my body in the air it lights him up a bit and he jumps even harder, so make sure you are trying to be "slow" and going with him naturally in the air.

shove your heels down right before takeoff. it kind of helps keep your body waiting for the horse to jump up to you and keeps you balanced for the harder jump. this is how i learned to ride bigger fences, when the horses' jumping styles got alot more intense