The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Killing ants...

I know this thread has been done a dozen times but my searches turn up things like TWH Soaring and killing mice. Apparently, "ant hills" and "killing ants" aren't good search words. Can someone please point me to some threads about killing fire ants in pastures? I have some MONSTER ant hills in my pasture and they need to go.

Thanks!
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

One TBS of gasoline. Poke deep hole in mound with stick. Throw stick. Pour in wee bit of gas. Go to next mound. It is the fumes that will do them in.

Not sure how much help it will be, but there was one a year or so ago that evolved (devolved?) into a lengthy discourse on the proper ways to prepare grits.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

There are old wives tales and there is Amdro. However, Amdro, flame throwers or even gasoline or grits, will not kill all the ants. You have to pick your battles and do a cost/benefit analysis. The only thing I fantasize about is an anteater. They have one at the zoo. He looks so bored in that small pen. I could give him such a lovely place to roam...but I digress.

The only thing I do is go after the ant hills that are in areas where I or the horses frequent. That's the pick your battles part. I also hate using poisons (we have poultry that might eat it by accident). So, what do I do with, say, a big ol' fire ant mound in front of a gate? Well, I find another, equally big one, hopefully in another bad spot, and I start a war. Get a shovel and shove into nest #1. When they react, get a shovelful and run to the other (hopefully near) nest. Drop #1 shovelful on #2 and get a shovelful of nest #2 to dump on nest #1. Repeat if necessary.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

I found fire ants in my garden bed when I was about to plant this year. I boiled some water in my tea pot and poured it all over the mound. They died instantly. The water was at a good rolling boil. It might take a while if you have a lot of mounds, but it was an instant fix and pet safe. For really big mounds, I pour the boiling water, then stir up the mound and then pour more water if I still see a few.

This method did kill the grass where the ant hill was.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    There are old wives tales and there is Amdro. However, Amdro, flame throwers or even gasoline or grits, will not kill all the ants. You have to pick your battles and do a cost/benefit analysis. The only thing I fantasize about is an anteater. They have one at the zoo. He looks so bored in that small pen. I could give him such a lovely place to roam...but I digress.

)
    And you can teach them to shake hands, really easily! That's my "claim to fame" of stupid animal tricks... I taught one to do it in about 2 days. Kids thought it was really neat to ask an anteater to "shake" and he would offer his paw/foot.

The only thing I do is go after the ant hills that are in areas where I or the horses frequent. That's the pick your battles part. I also hate using poisons (we have poultry that might eat it by accident). So, what do I do with, say, a big ol' fire ant mound in front of a gate? Well, I find another, equally big one, hopefully in another bad spot, and I start a war. Get a shovel and shove into nest #1. When they react, get a shovelful and run to the other (hopefully near) nest. Drop #1 shovelful on #2 and get a shovelful of nest #2 to dump on nest #1. Repeat if necessary.
    I would pay good money for an ant eater!
    I have tried the bad stuff.. Now I try to stay away from that.
    I read about Borax mixed with water and sugar disolved. Borax kills them and the sugar attracts them to it. Sigh~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The borax recipe is basically Terro. I have had good luck with it on house ants and like it because it is pet-safe (I do still keep them out of it but if one of them gets in it, it is supposed to be OK).

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck, OP. If you figure it out, let me know. I'll pay you money if you figure out how to get rid of them in a cost effective manner.

There are old wives tales and there is Amdro. However, Amdro, flame throwers or even gasoline or grits, will not kill all the ants.
    I managed to get rid of about half of my 86 (yes, I counted) nests in my fields with either Amdro, soaking nests with Malathion, or a combo of both. I like both of those because they're poured directly onto the mound, which limits the possibility of my horses eating it. I got rid of them for about two weeks, at which point the punks rebuilt elsewhere, in some cases, less than 2' away from the first nest. I gave up. After extensive research, you have to kill the queen, which is clearly hard to do.

Well, I find another, equally big one, hopefully in another bad spot, and I start a war. Get a shovel and shove into nest #1. When they react, get a shovelful and run to the other (hopefully near) nest. Drop #1 shovelful on #2 and get a shovelful of nest #2 to dump on nest #1. Repeat if necessary.
    This doesn't always work, especially if nests are near each other, because those nests will share a queen(s) and won't fight.

I have dictated to my best friend that when I die, I want everyone at my memorial service to destroy as many fire ant nests as they can, so that I can ensure that I take as many of those bastards down with me as I can.

3 members found this post helpful.

I use this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ortho-Orth...iller/16888872

It's a very fine powder that does not have to be watered in. Use it very sparingly... smells goddawful, but a little bit spread on an active hill, walk away and in a couple of hours the hill will be dead. Not moved on, but dead.... you can see the thousands of dead ants around the mouth of the hill. You can then scuffle dirt into the hill to cover up whatever remains of the powder. I have been using this for years and it never fails to do the trick.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I used diatomaceous earth. Hubby drove me around on the golf cart and I sprinkled it on the mounds. Activity in the mounds stopped within the day, I didn't see any new mounds and it's safe for chickens, horses, dogs and cats. I was really happy! Plus cheap and natural! Gonna get some more for the pasture I didn't do and get them GONE!

But mounds must be dry, no recent rain and no upcoming rain.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.