The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hampton Classic Challenge Trophy on eBay

I'm not the seller, but this trophy surely has some history.
    You can make out some of the winners engraved on the back ...Kinder Kid (Debbie Wycoff), Nobel (Jane Clark), No Wonder (Old Salem Farm)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAMPTON-CLAS...item2ec7435987
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I can't read any of the engraving but I think the Old Salem Farm horse is So No Wonder, is it possible you are not seeing the full name? Regardless it is a beautiful trophy.

I'd want to see more of a silver mark on the bottom before coughing up $999.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I can't read any of the engraving but I think the Old Salem Farm horse is So No Wonder, is it possible you are not seeing the full name? Regardless it is a beautiful trophy.
    There's a photo of the back of the trophy,and with the zoom more names can be seen. Yes...you're right.... it is So No Wonder....the 1987 winner.

Also seen...
    1984 - Bugsy Malone
    1989 - Heartbreak Express
    1990- Another Affair
    1992- Konfetti
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Neat, but with an opening bid of $1000, I suspect it will end up in a nice home if it sells
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Hi All,

I'm the Executive Director of the Hampton Classic, and we didn't know the trophy was missing from our storage area until the post on eBay was brought to our attention on Wednesday evening. I was able to send a message to the seller through eBay yesterday asking her to call me and she did - she said she bought it at a yard sale. I told her it was stolen and that she couldn't sell it, but that I'm sure she didn't know it had been stolen and that I was willing to make her whole by reimbursing her for whatever she paid for it at the yard sale and that we wanted it back. She told me she'd sell it to me for $500, since the last bid she had received was for $495. I told her that it's not about what she'd be able to get for it on the open market, it is illegal to sell stolen goods and I was just trying to be nice and that she obviously didn't pay $500 for it at the yard sale. She then said she'd call me back and hung up (she never called back).

Anyway, I waited 20 minutes for her to call back and then filed a police report and reported to eBay that the trophy was stolen. I have the name the woman used when she called me, but no number - gave the name to the police too. I'm sure we'll get it back. We don't plan to offer to reimburse her for her out-of-pocket anymore. Missed opportunity on her part.

It's a trophy we hadn't noticed was missing because it hasn't been awarded since 1993. We have quite a few old trophies that have been retired and get used for displays and the like on occasion. We've filed a police report and are attempting to recover the piece.

21 members found this post helpful.

Wow, it was stolen! How lucky that someone mentioned finding it on eBay. I assumed it had been retired (to someone who won it enough to keep it) and then resold. I hope Hampton Classic gets it back!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, more history to the listing than expected! Hope you are able to get it back safe and sound - sad that someone would steal this.

I was kind of wondering how a trophy from that horse show ended up on Ebay.

Good luck in recovering the trophy. Kind of a shame the Ebay seller didn't take you up on the original offer & tried to be greedy, but that's people for you.

I donated a trophy to a show back in the 90's & the show has since stopped. I know for awhile the trophies were on display in various local spots (banks, tack shops), but I wouldn't mind getting it back if it's not being used. I'd also be pretty miffed if I found it on Ebay being sold considering my name is on the trophy as the donor so it wouldn't be hard to locate me.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

I hope that you are able to get this stolen trophy back. I was wondering why it ended up on Ebay, also. I cannot believe the lack of respect from the seller, then again, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    I hope that you are able to get this stolen trophy back. I was wondering why it ended up on Ebay, also. I cannot believe the lack of respect from the seller, then again, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
    No, you shouldn't. BITD, the horse shows actually used to let you take HOME any challenge trophy you won. You got to keep it for a year and then you had to return it (unless you won it enough times to retire it).

Unfortunately there were just as many crappy, declassé competitors around then as there are now, and these valuable trophies grew legs and were not returned.

That would be why you don't get to take them home anymore... And how they show up on Ebay.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

What a story !

Just checked...eBay says "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available. "

It's not too unusual to see big trophies for sale on eBay...usually old racing trophies..one was from Tiffany's a few months ago.

And there was the one from Devon last year...didn't the show buy it back ?

The Hampton trophy is gorgeous...hopefully they'll get it back soon.
    Last edited by Mardi; May. 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    No, you shouldn't. BITD, the horse shows actually used to let you take HOME any challenge trophy you won. You got to keep it for a year and then you had to return it (unless you won it enough times to retire it).

Unfortunately there were just as many crappy, declassé competitors around then as there are now, and these valuable trophies grew legs and were not returned.

That would be why you don't get to take them home anymore... And how they show up on Ebay.
    I'm rather disgusted with people's capacity for greed these days.

I'm glad this story has a (hopefully) happy ending and the trophy will be back in safe, appreciative hands!

I looked at the sellers profile, not sure she is shady, she may have legitly purchased it at a tag sale not realizing it was stolen. Sellers others items for sale were all over the place, not just trophies.

If locating the seller proves difficult, perhaps purchase a small item from her and track her using her return address. I really hope she does the right thing and returns the trophy. I'm sure she thought she had found an amazing treasure, but she would not be the first person to have purchased stolen goods at a second-hand sale.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    I looked at the sellers profile, not sure she is shady, she may have legitly purchased it at a tag sale not realizing it was stolen. Sellers others items for sale were all over the place, not just trophies.
    But she's shady if she's not returning it.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanetteCohen View Post
    Hi All,

I'm the Executive Director of the Hampton Classic, and we didn't know the trophy was missing from our storage area until the post on eBay was brought to our attention on Wednesday evening. I was able to send a message to the seller through eBay yesterday asking her to call me and she did - she said she bought it at a yard sale. I told her it was stolen and that she couldn't sell it, but that I'm sure she didn't know it had been stolen and that I was willing to make her whole by reimbursing her for whatever she paid for it at the yard sale and that we wanted it back. She told me she'd sell it to me for $500, since the last bid she had received was for $495. I told her that it's not about what she'd be able to get for it on the open market, it is illegal to sell stolen goods and I was just trying to be nice and that she obviously didn't pay $500 for it at the yard sale. She then said she'd call me back and hung up (she never called back).

Anyway, I waited 20 minutes for her to call back and then filed a police report and reported to eBay that the trophy was stolen. I have the name the woman used when she called me, but no number - gave the name to the police too. I'm sure we'll get it back. We don't plan to offer to reimburse her for her out-of-pocket anymore. Missed opportunity on her part.

It's a trophy we hadn't noticed was missing because it hasn't been awarded since 1993. We have quite a few old trophies that have been retired and get used for displays and the like on occasion. We've filed a police report and are attempting to recover the piece.
    Excellent! You did exactly the right thing, and LEOs everywhere thank you!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

A number of years ago, my home was broken into and I had a laptop, jewelry, and several high end handbags stolen.

Naturally, i filed a police report and I started stalking local consignment and pawn shops, plus eBay. I swore my laptop showed up on eBay and being that the seller was also selling a bunch of car stereo equipment (seller was in my city), so I contact the detective. Wasn't mine, but was all hot goods and led to an arrest and conviction. The detective said that eBay is very good with law enforcement about this stuff (hopefully still are).

Between trying to sell stolen property and trying to shake you down for $500 for stolen property.... I think this lady just got herself into a little bit more than she realized. Sucks to be her now!

Good luck but I'm sure it'll work out in your favor! Keep us posted!

If she's an eBay seller, eBay and PayPal have all her banking information, meaning if the police want to pursue it they can track down who she really is. She might have been a good faith buyer/seller, but after she was informed it was stolen, even if she didn't just give it back (and to be fair I'd want more proof than a phone call that a valuable silver item was really their property--a police report would do) the correct response was NOT "Try to sell it back."

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a trophy from ANY horse show on eBay, no matter how "prestigious" (I mean, people have sold or pawned Olympic medals, Derby trophies, Oscars...) But that it's a traveling trophy of recent vintage? That looks a tad suspicious right from the get-go.

very sad... and I sincerely hope it's returned to the show. My daughter won her first perpetual trophy in 2011 and we didn't get to go to the awards banquet so she has never seen it. I wish people could be trusted, she'd certainly love to at least hold it for one day... but I totally understand this is the new reality.