The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you do mean Peacock Stirrup Irons, as far as I've always been aware there is a weight limit on them, and I have seen many over the years where the footplate has bent. Thinking back I'm almost sure they only used to come in child sizes, back in the day. I never felt very safe using them.

If it is the mountain horse style you mean, I haven't heard of any problems with them so far, but I feel like since the structure is similar there may be similar issues?

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Thanks, yes I was thinking about the peacocks. Some other nice options out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminOTTB View Post
    A local riding school I used to ride at requires them on all English saddles. I've seen them fail (bands pop off) many times when they shouldn't and I don't feel comfortable using them for that reason.
    I trail rode for years with them and got tired of the rubber band popping off. Your foot flops out of the stirrup easily without the band. I changed over to the stirrups that are s-shaped on 1 side. They are in the post above with the link to Smartpak that Eponacowgirl posted.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

One can learn by observation: in the UK I do not see anyone riding with the peacock stirrups cross country but many use the Australian (safety) stirrup
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/foot-f...ns-11227p.aspx I have only ever seen children use the peacocks.

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Willesdon View Post
    One can learn by observation: in the UK I do not see anyone riding with the peacock stirrups cross country but many use the Australian (safety) stirrup http://www.smartpakequine.com/foot-f...ns-11227p.aspx I have only ever seen children use the peacocks.
    WFP rides in those.

Another odd thing I encountered with peacock stirrups is that, at least for some, they can influence your position a little. I had a teen who had them on her saddle. For the first couple of years while she was riding with me, they didn't really matter. She was still pretty petite and her riding wasn't terribly sophisticated. She hit a growth spurt, grew about 4 inches, and at about the same time her riding made a big jump in improvement and sophistication...except for struggling with her legs. In a wild grab for a something to try and help her (especially since I rode in her saddle on her pony a lot and HATED her stirrups), we put a pair of heavy flexi stirrups on her saddle (which are also meant to twist and release if you get hung up, btw...have had them do that for me). The heavy, more substantial stirrups gave her something to stretch down into, and her leg improved dramatically.

I WOULD be worried about a full grown man riding in them because they just aren't that substantial. Lots of other "safety" options out there that are made for adults.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've also always heard of a weight limit for peacock irons, but have never seen one in print. Has anyone? I sometimes think it's a myth. I've seen regular fillis irons break.

The rubber bands can be twisted once or twice if they get saggy.

I have KwikOuts on my jumping saddle.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    I've also always heard of a weight limit for peacock irons, but have never seen one in print. Has anyone? I sometimes think it's a myth.
    I have wondered that too
    For what it is worth, I am by no means small or light (6 feet tall and not exactly a toothpick ) and mine have shown no signs of metal fatigue in 8+ years of being on every jump saddle I have had
    shrug YMMV
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I've seen it mentioned online on bulletin boards, etc. (8-9 stone, btw), but not using them I have never looked to see if I can find any comment from the manufacturers. Maybe that would be something someone could do if they are sufficiently interested in knowing

I've ridden in a friend's saddle with peacock irons, and I hated them because I swear I could feel them giving when I put my weight in them. Maybe because I do ride with that GM-toe-on-the-outside foot position, but I didn't feel stable in them at all, and would not want to go XC in them. And I'm a size 6, so not exactly heavy enough that I'd expect to be causing abnormal weight related issues with them.

While I like and use regular old heavy fillis irons on both my saddles, if I was wanting something that had a little more bend and give, I'd look at the Sprenger flexi ones, which are also really comfortable.

Peacocks, yup, I have used them on my jumping saddles since I can remember. No accidents that have been stirrup-related, thank heaven, and the only replacement of rubber bands I've had to do is because they dry rot eventually. But although one can ALWAYS find a story of how someone got hung up on the things, the risk/benefit calculus FOR ME works out in their favor, so I use 'em. I don't feel them move, have never seen one bend under my weight (155 pounds) and have never, ever had a rubber band pop off. In 20 years.
    Click here before you buy.

For safety irons, I'd like these: Safestyle Offset Eye Stirrup Irons.

I also have a pair of double-sided safety irons (the 's' sided ones, but with both sides at an s-curve, which I got in Iceland as they are standard riding equipment there.

Ooh, I like those Safestyles, but $200 for stirrups? Jeez.

One of my teen student's rubberband broke (dry rot) while she was having a dressage lesson the other day and it definitely caused a moment of when her foot popped out the stirrup. I always figured it wouldn't matter but to her, it did. FWIW.

If the only thing keeping a foot in the stirrup is the outside branch (regardless of material) then there is a serious flaw in the rider's leg.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Ooh, I like those Safestyles, but $200 for stirrups?
    Enough already, deltawave. If the Safestyles are too déclassé and low-rent for you, perhaps you'd like the Freejump Soft'Up Pro Stirrups, which come in a variety of colors for $375. Matching leathers are $199.

Those will go well with your $515 Gucci Equestrian show shirt.

Been riding in peacocks for at least ten yrs; never had the rubber bands come off unless *i* was coming off. Never bent 'em either, but i weigh 115.

And the only metal stirrup i ever saw break was the top part of a fillis. Fwiw.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If the only thing keeping a foot in the stirrup is the outside branch (regardless of material) then there is a serious flaw in the rider's leg.
    I agree (I believe she was mid- ponyKICK!), but when I'm running XC my leg isn't always where it should be.

OK, yes, it IS possible to over-engineer something as simple and humble as the stirrup.

1 members found this post helpful.