The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Rescue Owner Jailed Friday Night

Washington County Sheriff's Deputies arrested 25-year old Stephanie Austine Lynn around 6:00 Friday night.

She's charged with 3-counts of cruel death, pain or suffering, and 1-count of passing, counterfeiting, using, presenting or uttering a certificate of veterinarian inspection.

Lynn is the owner and operator of Eternal Freedom Horse Rescue near Chipley.

When we talked to her in March, she was caring for about 3-dozen horses that had been neglected or abandoned by their owners.

At that time, Lynn's critics said her 20-acre ranch could not adequately provide for that many horses.

But Lynn defended her actions. Christy McAlister is one of Eternal Freedom’s clients. “When I first met her she had 15 and some would look awful. Then they'd plump up and get better. But now it looks like its just gotten out of control."

Stephanie Lynn, Eterrnal Freedom owner told us why. "We took in more because I can't say, 'no' sometimes. When someone shows me a picture of a horse, like Traveler who was nothing but skin and bones, I can't say, 'no' knowing that that horse may die.”

Deputies released Lynn from the Washington County Jail in Chipley around midnight last night, after she posted bond.

Jail record do not say if any of the horses under Lynn's care died, nor do they specify the type of vet certificate or inspection she allegedly forged.

Ms. Lynn is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges next month.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/H...e#.UZF_-I_D8qT

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

There aren't only 2 answers to the problem of a horse in need, 'Yes' or 'No'.
    How about 'No.' and then calling authorities if what you saw was reportable?
    Isn't that what we hear all the time, that there are adequate laws on the books? So get them enforced.

Bottom line, you are either part of the problem [as she became with her 'can't say no'] or you are part of the solution [call authorities, investigate and enforce regulations and seize them, get them rehab'd and adopt out, have the horses PTS or ship the horses to slaughter].

There are plenty of options other than a 'Yes' that in the end becomes neglect in itself.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

5 members found this post helpful.

What turns people who really care about animals and try to do the right thing into hoarders?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Angela. Your statement clearly defines what the problem is. People DO get in over their head. They do wait too long however then they try and sell at auctions, give to rescues or anything else AND THEY GET REPORTED and therefore they are also charged.

EVERY case we have had, was due to the breeder/owner approaching a rescue saying can you help me...and every time they have been charged

We now tell folks DO NOT GO TO A RESCUE...

If they run skinny horses through an auction they can also be charged.

We have forced individuals into a corner.

Sure sure sure..we an all pontificate and say they should never had let it get that bad. But when someone is hoping beyond hope that their life will change..they won't lose their home etc..we know they should act then but most DO NOT...

That does not make those people criminals

I am advocating going to gun clubs and telling them they can kill the horse for shooting practice BUT a problem arises..some county's will not allow that. Disposal is VERY expensive..for some places up to 500
    $ and if they had that amount they would be able to feed the horse.

Rescues have been presented as the be all and end all. They are now in trouble and yes..they should say no..as a matter of fact..EVERY rescue should be required to post a 1 million dollar bond BEFORE they start in the Biz.

Vets will not kill skinny but otherwise healthy horses in some areas (usually they are HSUS) county's wont allow on the site burial. Water conservation will not allow the disposal of horses euthanized..incineration is VERY expensive plus getting the horse there..

In other words..all you do gooders have boxed owners who are in trouble into a no win situation..

Shame on all of you

7 members found this post helpful.

I am confused...are the pictures old ones? the horses seemed in good condition with exception of the one skinny, appears to be older, one. OK, so not the fanciest facility...but feet looked OK...Sadly we've seen worse!

Must be for the Vet certificates...

hmmm, go to any auction and you'll find Coggins that doesn't belong to the horse they came with ...been there ...done that.

1 members found this post helpful.

The owner of a horse rescue organization in Washington County was arrested on animal cruelty charges. It comes after a lengthy investigation by the State Attorney's Office, Washington County Animal Control, and Florida Department of Agriculture.

The Chief Assistant State Attorney for the 14th Judicial Circuit Greg Wilson said several people have been concerned about horses that appeared malnourished at the Eternal Freedom Youth Ranch and Horse Rescue.

The owner Stephanie Lynn was arrested Friday and booked into the Washington County Jail.

News 13 profiled Lynn's rescue efforts in 2011. At that time, she said her organization provided "care and rehabilitation for sick, abused and neglected horses."

She's now facing four felony counts of animal cruelty for horses that died in her care and two felonies for allegedly forging paperwork related to the Coggins test, the test for equine infectious anemia virus.

Stephanie Lynn didn't want to speak on the record after consulting with her attorney. She did send this comment to News 13:

"I'm so thankful for the constant support the rescue has had through all of these absurd accusations. At this time, my attorney said we will not be doing any interviews but to state we will be fighting these accusations when the time is right. Thanks again to all the continued support from those who actually know the truth and God Bless."

News 13 also spoke with Nick Alander, who drives from Pensacola to volunteer at the ranch. He say's he's adopted several healthy horses from Lynn.

"Stephanie has been great. If anyone has any concerns, she handles it immediately. I've seen horses come in that she has done some amazing things with. She's helped socialize them. She's helped get some weight on them. She does some amazing things with these horses," said Alander.

The Chief Assistant State Attorney said the investigation is ongoing and anticipates more charges will be filed in this case.
    http://www.wmbb.com/story/22226582/h...animal-cruelty

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Angela. Your statement clearly defines what the problem is. People DO get in over their head. They do wait too long however then they try and sell at auctions, give to rescues or anything else AND THEY GET REPORTED and therefore they are also charged.

EVERY case we have had, was due to the breeder/owner approaching a rescue saying can you help me...and every time they have been charged

We now tell folks DO NOT GO TO A RESCUE...

If they run skinny horses through an auction they can also be charged.

We have forced individuals into a corner.
    We?
    And how have we forced people into a corner, by having regulations such as 'you must feed your horses'?

Wishing and hoping for ___ to happen to end your financial woes so you can feed your horses doesn't feed your horses. If in the process of wishing and hoping your horses end up starving or neglected in other ways [Vet care, farrier care] to the extent that the animal is suffering... That's ok with you, for some to do?

Sure sure sure..we an all pontificate and say they should never had let it get that bad. But when someone is hoping beyond hope that their life will change..they won't lose their home etc..we know they should act then but most DO NOT...

That does not make those people criminals
    If in the process they break a law, it does. How do you define criminal?
    Seriously you think certain people should be given a pass on regulations and laws? Which people? Just your friends, just Arab breeders, or....?
    Who, then, does gets held to the standards/laws and who gets that pass?

I am advocating going to gun clubs and telling them they can kill the horse for shooting practice BUT a problem arises..some county's will not allow that. Disposal is VERY expensive..for some places up to 500
    $ and if they had that amount they would be able to feed the horse.

Rescues have been presented as the be all and end all. They are now in trouble and yes..they should say no..as a matter of fact..EVERY rescue should be required to post a 1 million dollar bond BEFORE they start in the Biz.
    Great idea re: the bond.
    Breeders too could have a bond for every mare, and then all get from that mare, creating a safety net for those horses they put on this earth that they might find hard to sell or hard to feed/Vet/farrier/train while they try to sell.
    Excellent idea.

Vets will not kill skinny but otherwise healthy horses in some areas (usually they are HSUS) county's wont allow on the site burial. Water conservation will not allow the disposal of horses euthanized..incineration is VERY expensive plus getting the horse there..

In other words..all you do gooders have boxed owners who are in trouble into a no win situation..

Shame on all of you
    All us do-gooders eh?

By do-gooders you mean horse owners that think a minimum standard of care and regulations is a good idea?
    Or by do-gooders do you mean those who think ALL horse/animal owners should be held to that minimum standard?

So again, you don't think laws and regulations are a good idea?
    You don't think they should be enforced without bias and universally?

You think there are some who should be given a pass on those regulations? Who gets a pass? Who decides who gets the pass, what pass they get, and when they lose that pass and do finally get held to the standards towns/counties/states have established?

Because if they think wishing and hoping is an answer to a problem, what makes you think a pass will make them then look for an alternative to just wishing and hoping? How long do you let them wish and hope their way towards providing care to animals they accepted ownership and responsibility for?

11 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Angela on this.
    Rescues are NOT there for people who have made piss-poor business decisions. If breeders want an out for themselves due to their own stupidity, then lobby hard for their chosen breed registries to provide an out. Stay the heck away from rescues. Good rescues aren't their clean-up crew and donators do NOT want to give money to "save" a business owner/breeder's animals. And bad rescues...well heaven knows we don't need more hoarders or scammers posing as rescues.

A rescue is not for the business person who overproduced animals they make money on.
    Rescues aren't retraining facilities for breeders to get free handling and training and vet care on their animals.
    Rescues are not retirement homes.

Rescues are for seized animals, etc. I and most others would be beyond *livid* if rescues we gave hard earned income to were taking in multiple animals from someone who made these animals, made income off of these animals and failed to use any of the grey matter between their ears to care for the business or the animals.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

10 members found this post helpful.

If rescues are only for seized horses, then what should someone who realizes they cannot adequately maintain care for their horse for the foreseeable future do in this slow moving market?

Should they send their horse to auction? Wait until the care becomes actionable so it becomes a rescue?

I think part of Fairfax's message was that usually people try to hold on past the point where they have the money to spend putting down their horse(s). Either they need that $500+ more for food/rent, or see that $500 as 5 more months of hay during which time things will likely turn around...but then they don't.

It is tricky.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

6 members found this post helpful.

Since when were rescues only for seized horses?

Many rescues are approached by breeders who got over their head (although I don't see much of that any more)...

A point it..we have made sending a horse to an auction where the horse might go to a kill buyer...a CRIME...forums all over chastise breeders for sending 4-5 yearlings through an auction. HOW DARE THEY...and these PETA types protest them and try and destroy them..

If you can not afford to feed you can not afford to euthanize. I have a lady who is 71. She INHERITED 8 horses from her daughter who died in a tragic accident (auto). She has a bit of land..and has it up for sale..and is struggling to provide feed for these animals..I got her a quote of $800.00 to euthanize ALL of them..and her pick up and rendering fee is 90 cents per pound. Average weight is around 1100 pounds. Her county does NOT allow any burial due to water contamination fears (shallow wells).

Of course this is a one off...but "similar" stories OR individuals who have lost their investments...are still occuring. The real estate market has not picked up in many states.

On a bright note..we were slowly able to place all but two..and they were over 20 so I recommended they be put down. And they were

But this is a RARE success.

The cost of hay was over the top in many states. Of course there are some who abuse the system..but I do not see much of that any more.

I do see couples now in their early 70's who have 10 seniors...but with property value drops..stock market slowdowns..those people who have been responsible all of their life are now caught. They HAVE tried to sell..but we all know how you can hardly give a horse away in some areas.

A single horse or non horse owner won't get it. Breeders are NOT breeding..but costs are out of this world. They are struggling...

So..rescues only to make money off seizures? Straight out of the HSUS handbook DEFHR, GG Paradise ALL make MILLIONS yearly but they only seize from individuals who they can also seize property or assets from.

You..along with so many have made slaughter almost impossible to live with..bad enough you can't afford to feed them..can't afford to pay to have them killed by a vet..you can't even send them off to be killed without fear of some jerk posting your name over the internet.

THIS is what is going to kill the horse industry. A renown trainer told an audiece in Germany that horses are now "a thing of the past"

ONLY the very wealthy will be able to keep them..She said maybe that is a good thing...like airtravel. Too many "bus" people feel they are entitled to fly for cheap...too many who should have just gone to a horse show wanted to rub shoulders or "caught the bug" but could not truly afford it.

Time to rein them in ...government control the industry and make sure..like very select Scottsdale clubs..only the finest get in.

A bond per mare..might work in getting rid of more mares...But WHERE TO SEND THEM? YOU, Angela do not approve of any options..and you have no solutions...

IF breeders are driven out we will have TEN times 100,000 to quickly eliminate.

That is the corner you and your groupies have forced every one into ..but then, that was YOUR agenda all along.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    If rescues are only for seized horses, then what should someone who realizes they cannot adequately maintain care for their horse for the foreseeable future do in this slow moving market?
    It is very tricky and there are no easy answers. I think this bad economy has impacted good rescues just as surely as it has the rest of the equine community. Where before they would have been able to take in owner surrenders, now they can't keep up with the number of seized horses, let alone take on animals that *might* have another level or two of safety net (i.e. auction, give away).

I support euthanization clinics and am very glad to see them available. I wish they were more wide spread. The sad fact is that there are vets out there that won't euthanize an animal because the owner is broke. Most animal controls will not allow an owner to surrender livestock the same way they allow surrender of companion animals, like dogs and cats. This is true for rural areas with a heavy horse population just as much as it is true for more urban areas that you wouldn't expect to need to address livestock.

There are so many different layers to the problem, that is for sure. It is like peeling an onion. First you have to be dealing with owners that are willing to accept that there is a problem with their management plan, whether they have one horse or 150 horses. That is the first layer. If you don't have at least a basic agreement that help is needed, the only option left is to seize.

Then you need to have a viable process ready and able to take on the horses, whether it is one or 200. Most of those huge herds are going to be breeding animals, not riding animals. So then there needs to be a process in place to ascertain how adoptable the horses are. As a philosophical question, is it okay for a rescue to place horses into breeding homes? Do they break all the horses to ride or drive, give them some use? Can some of them go to breeding homes? If so, what is the cut off determination? Registration papers? Famous lines? Rare lines? Great conformation? What do they do with the horses that have no use? Is it okay to euthanize after a certain time period, like we do for dogs and cats?

This economic crash has really put a spot light on the horse community's need to ask these tough questions. It is tricky, but we need to come up with some answers.
    Sheilah

Since when were rescues only for seized horses?

Many rescues are approached by breeders who got over their head (although I don't see much of that any more)...
    So why don't you suggest what Angela did - every breeder has to post a million dollar bond before getting into the breeding biz? Get to the root of the problem. No bond, no breeding. You seem happy enough to suggest a rescue needs to have a bond, I think the breeder makes much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    So why don't you suggest what Angela did - every breeder has to post a million dollar bond before getting into the breeding biz? Get to the root of the problem. No bond, no breeding. You seem happy enough to suggest a rescue needs to have a bond, I think the breeder makes much more sense.
    You know what they say about how to make a Million dollars in horses, right?

I would think $1,000/horse for breeders would be enough to at least provide euth for them if they ended up not being marketable, or un-useable [ie, a mare who can not be bred and is too lame to use for a sport].
    The breed registries could collect and hold that money as a safety net for the horse. Alas that would mean the horses would need to be registered, and we've seen some of these breeders who've fallen on 'hard times' [yet look well fed themselves] have also failed to register their stock that they are breeding.

Re; the person who is wishing and hoping and in the end doesn't even have the euth money? g-You should have a small amount [cause if you have horses and think $900 or whatever it costs to euth/dispose where you are is 'a lot of money' you shouldn't have horses] set aside to euth that you DO NOT TOUCH. Ever.

That is to say the time to euth is not when you have $0 in your account, but when you have whatever amount it is to euth each horse you own in your account.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    What turns people who really care about animals and try to do the right thing into hoarders?
    The mindset that they know better. There is a cruelty case going on in Illinois right now where 16 horses were "relinquished" to a humane group that was NOT licensed as humane investigators, and NOT working in conjunction with the IL Dept of Ag on a long-running, ongoing investigation. Lovely - thanks for stepping in and removing ALL the evidence needed for a legal prosecution and conviction, then ripping apart Ag and humane-investigation-licensed rescues for not doing anything

There can also be, unfortunately, the mindset that animal control and law enforcement don't care and won't do anything. This is especially common with small animals (dogs & cats). A dog or cat is found RAL (running at large); because there is a misperception that anything turned over to AC will be euthanized (which is definitely NOT the case!), so they will not report or turn over any animal found, and instead contact a smaller, private rescue group.

However, by not reporting or turning in found animals to AC, the possibility of reuniting pets and owners drops SIGNIFICANTLY because rescue groups do not have access to the licensing database that the city maintains. Most rescues cooperate and coordinate with AC, but a lot of them don't.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    A bond per mare? Possible..it sure will eliminate a lot of horses..but HOW to eliminate them. Angela is against all slaughter. HSUS vets refuse to euthanize healthy horses..there is a restricted market..and many who own are holding on..not breeding..and why should they be forced to pay for existing animals.

California is in the process of eliminating dog shows and dog breeding. ..Restrictions, fines, licenses..breeder licenses at very high amounts all looks responsible..and it does do the job effectively..here is the downside. It is projected that California will lose tens of millions of dollars they collect tthrough dog shows. California is a broke state and is out of control. HSUS loves it..they shug their shoulders and say..we are not stopping pet ownership.. but a huge taxation process will.

Back to horses..WHEN all breeding stops and all horses from 6 and up[ are eliminated one way or another..I guess you don't care YOU won't be able to afford one horse..period. Maybe that is a good thing..let horses go for 50,000$ and up..be only bred by the rich folk and let the little guys just cheer at a show ..

There are manny solutions..it is just that too many refuse to allow them..and so now we have a problem a BIG PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    You know what they say about how to make a Million dollars in horses, right?

I would think $1,000/horse for breeders would be enough to at least provide euth for them if they ended up not being marketable, or un-useable [ie, a mare who can not be bred and is too lame to use for a sport].
    The breed registries could collect and hold that money as a safety net for the horse. Alas that would mean the horses would need to be registered, and we've seen some of these breeders who've fallen on 'hard times' [yet look well fed themselves] have also failed to register their stock that they are breeding.

Re; the person who is wishing and hoping and in the end doesn't even have the euth money? g-You should have a small amount [cause if you have horses and think $900 or whatever it costs to euth/dispose where you are is 'a lot of money' you shouldn't have horses] set aside to euth that you DO NOT TOUCH. Ever.

That is to say the time to euth is not when you have $0 in your account, but when you have whatever amount it is to euth each horse you own in your account.
    Okay Angela.,.lets take this to a point so we can understand where you are coming from. I pay 1000$ per mare to WHOM? Who manages the money?..We all know what happened when PETA and supported by HSUS stted a birth tax of $360. A registration tax of $360 a sales tax of $360 but we also know that some of these groups would not provide a forever home..they would just pocket the money and kill them.

What about the NON registered horses..THOSE are the problem..breeders have dropped their numbers by over 50%

The problem was 900$ PER HORSE..after euthanization and they were NOT her horses...but even if they were..if you have NO MONEY..and there hyas been no market and still is no market..and YOU scream foul every time a person puts them into an auction where a ikill buyer is..what DO THEY DO?

The average age is 6 and up going for kill. That means there are fewer and fewer younger horses which means breeders have quit.

I don't trust any group, any registration group or any government to look after MY MONEY..and where would you keep these horses? Where is this wonderful candy cane lane farm where there is always lush grass, babbling brooks and freedom from weather elements for $1000 to cover it for maybe 20-30 years.

Angela..with the mess your Obama care is in..tell me a family should NOT provide an operation for a family member because they will use the "horse fund:

NO ONE counted on 2009 recession. No one counted on no value in their homes. No one counted on losing a job after 20 years with a company..

But then no one counted on no albernatives for the horses...so .. I still say..SHAME ON YOU....saying what they should have done..that would be like saying a womanb should have aborted her down syndrome child because it is now a financial burder with an economy change.

I don't trust any group, any registration group or any government to look after MY MONEY
    Do as I say, not as I do?
    So you don't trust any...anything, really, to look after YOUR precious money, but here you are suggesting that "as a matter of fact" every rescue group should have to post a million dollar bond to...whom, exactly? Who should they trust with THEIR money, according to the wisdom of Fairfax? Or is it only YOUR money that matters?

Logical Fallacies Contest. Let's see who can spot the most fallacies in posts on this thread.

Here's a cheat sheet: http://www.philosophicalsociety.com/...0fallacies.htm
    Last edited by LauraKY; May. 16, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Angela..with the mess your Obama care is in..tell me a family should NOT provide an operation for a family member because they will use the "horse fund:

NO ONE counted on 2009 recession. No one counted on no value in their homes. No one counted on losing a job after 20 years with a company..

But then no one counted on no albernatives for the horses...so .. I still say..SHAME ON YOU....saying what they should have done..that would be like saying a womanb should have aborted her down syndrome child because it is now a financial burder with an economy change.
    Why are you so quick to say "YOU" to Angela? And who the heck mentioned Obama care? If you want a political argument, get off COTH for it. You literally just pulled that out of no where. And you don't trust the government with your money? But let me guess, you expect the government to get out of debt? And you expect roads to be kept up, social workers to be paid, teachers, public universities, etc., but I'll assume you also don't want to pay taxes? You live in this great country, you have to contribute.

On to the horses.. Yes, people should have money set aside for worst case scenario situations. But the fact is, they don't. And they probably never will. That goes for all people and businesses, not just horses. What to do about it?

I think neighbors and people passing by need to take a bigger interest in the welfare of animals around them. If you notice a farm going downhill, or horses at the beginning of a weight struggle, tell the local ASPCA. Nip it before it starts. And hopefully rescues will have enough donations to help the horses or put them down humanely. I find Fairfax's idea of a gun-range absolutely preposterous. There are way too many sickos in the world who will put the horses through misery before landing a kill shot. One bullet for an instant death is one thing... a gun range for target practice? That is disgusting and inhumane.