The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    Also... posting your find on a public forum.
    This, but no it wasn't me
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I've had horses sold out from me. The first time it happened, I went and tried the horse in the morning. The people rode him so bad...he looked like crap. I got on...and he went completely differently. I popped over a few fences and felt this outstanding jump. I knew enough to stop quickly (before I made him looking nicer) but they saw the good jump too. I said I wanted him and would arrange a vetting. Before I got home that day to make arrangements I got a call that they sold him. As soon as I left they must have called a show hunter friend....and sold him to them for more than the price they told me.

In the end...I was fine. I got the horse of my dreams shortly after that and the horse I lost out on was probably more suited and happier as a show horse. Things happen for a reason. But I do now often offer a deposit.

This was a nice prospect but there are a lot of nice ones. Keep looking and you will find the right one! But yes...with the track horses....you have to move very fast.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Well, if someone on COTH bought him, then I wish them well. It is sad to believe that someone would do that, but it was a chance that I was willing to take to have COTH'ers experienced eyes help me.

Since I will not be looking for an OTTB anymore, I guess that the point is moot.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I think it really is a "meant to be" thing with OTTBs. The one that I just bought sight unseen with no vetting (prompted by bornfreenowexpensive's post) couldn't have had a nicer trainer. She waited for me for a week for a decision (I had a hard time getting back to her with work), turned down 3 other people, found a shipper going from WV to Chicago, and arranged all of the shipping for me. Literally all I had to do was pay her. And I hear the horse is more than we could have asked for and am getting offers to buy him based on photos posted on Facebook.

I hope you are not writing off OTTBs because of this experience. I would say that you probably dodged a bullet, and there are a lot more out there that are nice with really nice trainers. Hae bornfreenowexpensive do you scouting for you
    ~Isabel

Proud owner for Infinity Sport Horse
    Facebook :: Website

Auburn I hope when you say
    I will not be looking for an OTTB anymore,
    , you mean you won't be looking for one still on the track. I have had very good luck buying from people who let them down and resell (like the JLeegriffith model). In your area, you might want to check with:
    http://www.secretariatcenter.org/horses-available/ I personally want Scuff and like Studio (despite not liking greys)

http://www.horsesales.com/ophoto.htm where I like Jabulani and even more Where U At
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Yesterday, my adoption approval came through for New Vocations. I have had my paperwork in at the Secretariat Center for a week. I just called them. They said that my "Equine Professional" had not sent them the form. I have emailed her. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon.

I went out to the Secretariat Center to meet the horses last week. I fell in love with Nola Belle. Unfortunately, they said that her adoption is pending. I like Scuff, too. However, when you click on his name, the page is empty. I suspect that he is gone, too.

The "I am done" sentiment is for dealing with trainers from the track. If I had not spent several hours talking with Artie's trainer and felt like he was of good character, I would not have been quite so upset. I am the most gullable person. A friend of mine was shocked that I would go to some guy's farm, without anyone with me. When I went up to see Artie the first day, I was alone. I never even considered taking anyone with me. Trusting and gullability will get you no where in the horse world. Just call me jaded, now.

If I wasn't allergic to wine, I would have some cheese with my whine.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Secretariat Center always has some lovely horses! I drool over them even if I have my own supply in the barn Hey, I just love the Tb's. Scruff is by Arch and the Arch babies are quite lovely.

That sucks and I am so sorry!!
    I do think that track sales have slightly different rules, and that trainers tend not to hold for vettings--they consider the horse for sale until they have money. Absolutely no excuse for not calling though.

That is the hardest part of shopping at the track for me--I usually end up with no vetting or a 10 min track vet once over, because the local sport horse vet needs 1-2 weeks notice (or passing, if I have concerns I would want a sporthorse vet to address and I can't get one).

It may be kismet, though. Maybe the next one is your perfect match.

I love Nola belle! Go get her!

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    It almost makes you wonder if they knew the horse wouldn't vet, so sold him to the first person who was willing to buy without vetting.
    ^ That's exactly what I was thinking. I understand the OP being upset but it may have been a blessing in disguise.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

It has happened on CoTH before that someone posted about a horse and someone else went...with cash and no ppe required and bought the horse.

It's quite common at the track for trainers to take the first person with the cash because unfortunately many have been stood up by potential buyers as well. I used to volunteer with a track-based trainer listings service and we'd hear a lot of trainers complain about this.

I am sorry that it happened and I hope that you find your match.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry you got some whiplash in the buying process. Good luck on your next prospects! Keep us updated! Best wishes.

How can you tell the "price" of the horse at Secretariat Center?
    Thanks!

I do not know. You have to fill out the adoption application, before they will tell you. However, it is tax deductable (I believe), so worth whatever for a nice horse.