The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How many of you have had horses bought out from underneath you? How many of you have had a Vet scheduled to come out at 2pm, you drive up (over an hour drive each way) for the vetting, only to find that the trainer has cancelled the Vet and sold the horse, without letting you know?

No call for right of first refusal. No call period. I guess that a horse trader is a horse trader is a horse trader!

I just pray that whoever bought him will give him a good home.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

How many of you have had horses bought out from underneath you? How many of you have had a Vet scheduled to come out at 2pm, you drive up (over an hour drive each way) for the vetting, only to find that the trainer has cancelled the Vet and sold the horse, without letting you know?

No call for right of first refusal. No call period.

Mostly, I am mad at myself for believing that this trainer/horse trader was different. I feel really stupid.

I just pray that whoever bought Artie will give him a good home.

I guess that I am just feeling really stupid for trusting that there is any honor among race trainers/horse traders.

I guess that I am just feeling really stupid for

I apologize for the quadruple postings. COTH has been messed up for two days. It will not let me delete the extra posts. I truly am not so angry as to post the same thing four times.

I hope that they can get this figured out soon. It is becoming frustrating. I do not need more frustration in my life right now.

Why are my posts disappearing?

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    So sometimes the gaps are gaps that are not any issue. In the end, I didn't care and vetted the horse and bought her for what she was that day....and paid more than 2500....and have not regretted it. Once I started jumping her...her "price" was worth 10x that.
    This. He looks nice and his pedigree is very decent for sport. Hoping he passed his vetting for you.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

That seriously sucks! I sell a lot of horses but my basic rule has always been that once a person sets up a vetting the horse is off the market and is being held for that person until they indicate yes or no after the vetting is completed. I have always done first come first serve but to me if you call and say I want to vet and the vetting is on X date than I am holding the horse. Such a bummer!

It almost makes you wonder if they knew the horse wouldn't vet, so sold him to the first person who was willing to buy without vetting.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

2 members found this post helpful.

I have found, when buying cheap horses (and yes, this was a cheap horse) that the nice ones go incredibly fast and if you snooze, you lose.

Auburn, sorry the horse was sold out from under you. Next time offer to leave a non-refundable deposit or set the vet up for the day you visit. If I'm going to vet an OTTB I call the track vet ahead of going to find out when they will be at the track & to see if they can fit me in. If they can't it's up to me to make other arrangements, but if you leave without the horse you're leaving the option that someone else is going to come & buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    It almost makes you wonder if they knew the horse wouldn't vet, so sold him to the first person who was willing to buy without vetting.
    THIS! You may have dodged a bullet.

Sorry to hear that. As LAZ said, a non-refundable deposit will hold a good prospect usually, but I have sacrificed it when the vetting didn't pan out as hoped but I probably avoided bigger vet bills down the road.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post

I had the same thought

This is frustrating, but fairly common, especially for lower priced track horses. Many trainers do adhere to more of a sport-horse model as JLee describes, but not all. I'm sorry this happened, but take some solace that it is not quite as bad a result as the time I had the horse vetted and then while waiting for the x-rays to be read, they used the results of the vetting that I had paid for to sell the horse to another buyer.
    Last edited by scubed; May. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Sometimes people are just awful. I had a terrible experience with a h/j barn in Pa. I had called the woman about the horse and we agreed that I was purchasing him. We spoke at 8am in the morning and made plans that I was to pick him up at 1pm coming with cash/trailer. I had to drive 2.5 hrs to get to him. 2 hrs into my drive and she calls to tell me somebody is there and wants him and she is selling him to them. What???? I was so livid. However, when people act this way it always makes me think that perhaps they are not as ethical as they should be and it could be a good thing I didn't get the horse.

Track people are very very different because they don't take deposits and cash/trailer are the only way they work. They really don't ever hold horses for vettings so unless you set up the vetting the minute the horse becomes available you likely will lose out.

I do buy a ton of horses without vettings but only from known contacts that I can trust. I can afford the risk though and I own my own farm. I understan that isn't an option for many people.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    This is frustrating, but fairly common, especially for lower priced track horses. Many trainers do adhere to more of a sport-horse model as JLee describes, but not all. I'm sorry this happened, but take some solace that it is quite as bad a result as the time I had the horse vetted and then while waiting for the x-rays to be read, they used the results of the vetting that I had paid for to sell the horse to another buyer.
    This kind if sketchiness does make buying off the track frustrating in the extreme. New Vocations has been getting in some really nice horses lately.

I will say that if I am selling a nice horse and I get 5 calls on the same day and one person doesn't want to vet and just wants to buy the horse based on the picture/video than I likely am going to take that option as a seller. I do have people that do buy horses from me sight unseen without a vetting but it is rare. That being said if somebody had called the day before and set up a vetting and indicated they wanted the horse, I am going to hold the horse for them regardless if the magical person calls who says they want the horse with no vetting

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I have found, when buying cheap horses (and yes, this was a cheap horse) that the nice ones go incredibly fast and if you snooze, you lose.
    Also... posting your find on a public forum.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay! My posts are finally showing up.

I went up to see the horse the first day that it was posted. I tried to get it vetted that day, but I could not get any Vets from Lebanon Equine to come out. They finally set up the appointment for yesterday. Unfortunately, I do not know any Vets from that area, so had to go with someone that I do not know.

The seller called the Vet and cancelled without letting me know. He thought that the Vet would call me to let me know that he had called off the vetting. Are you kidding me? Why on God's green earth would a Vet, whom I do not know, call me to let me know that the seller had cancelled the vetting?

I do not know the Vet from Adam. All of the Vets that I use are at Hagyard and Rood and Riddle. They would not make the trip to Ohio to Vet a horse for me. It is too far. This horse was no where near Turfway. He was at the owner/trainer's farm in Batavia, OH.

An ethical trainer should, at the very least, give me the right of first refusal or a phone call to let me know that they are selling the horse to someone else. JMHO

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Just be thankful that you didn't end up with him. If the trainer was such a jerk, who knows what s/he was hiding about the horse. I agree that they probably knew the horse would fail a vetting, because the buyer obviously did NOT have a PPE done if it was so hard for you to schedule one.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire