The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Being a "boarder" for many years, I realise no barn is perfect.
    There are things I can work around, while others I can't. Lack of water and turnout, is unacceptable. The fact that the BO went on a tirade also scares me, she's not very professional.
    I would be looking for a new place and keep my mouth shut, at the place I was at. It's unfortunate, but the BO has you by the short hairs and she knows it.
    I've been in the same situation many times, you don't want to have to make a snap decision and regret it latter.

1 members found this post helpful.

If turn out was specifically not included in the board and turn out is the trainer's responsibility I doubt the trainer is an employee of the barn owner. If trainer is responsible for turn out and trainer is an employee of the barn then that would mean that turn out is included...

Honestly, for that amount in board, I would not expect much. Horses absolutely SHOULD have water 100% of the time, but even at the best of barns I have found an empty bucket from time to time. If I find an empty bucket once or twice, I will fill it and then mention it nicely to the BO - "Hey, I noticed this morning [or evening, or whatever] that my horse's bucket was empty. I filled it, but I think they must have missed it this morning so you may want to mention it." Most BOs are not so stupid that they think horses can go without water, so it rarely necessitates making a big stink about it. Plus, if you have to mention it more than once or twice in a short timeframe, the problem is not likely to ever be corrected and it is time to start shopping for a new barn.

But, honestly, the one time I kept my horse in a "cheap" boarding situation, I spent a LOT of time and money supplementing his needs on my own (out there all the time, buying extra hay, etc.). So you may find that a more expensive place is cheaper in the long run and also saves your sanity.

All in all, though, for that rate, I would expect to essentially be doing self care.

3 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't freak out at the empty buckets - they may have cleaned them but had not yet refilled. I would go back in 1/2 hour or so and check them again. If they haven't been refilled and the barn chores are 'done', then you have a problem.

Honestly, if you are paying a $350/ month in board, you can't expect the care to be comparable to a $600/ month barn. I see this happening all the time around this area. I came from a very cheap barn, and people would move in and expect blanket changes and all sorts of 'extras' to be included in the board that were not.

Whatever you pay, you should get good basic care as outlined in your boarding contract. If the boarding contract states that turnout is not included, then you can't 1. expect them to do it, and 2. get a discount off your board when they do NOT do it.

Forums seem a little screwed up today, tech issues?

Anyway...this is a family farm OP was invited to board at thru a friend who is a member of said family if I read this right? It is not a "boarding barn", appears there is only one other "boarder". So OP got into it with the people who live there and invited her in-hope it was not her friends mom or other close relative.

There was little turnout when she looked at the place and that's not going to physically change if the owners like it the way it is. She was told none was included with her board. Yet she wants a discount off the already below market price for turning out her own horse and gets into an altercation?????

The water thing she should ask about, perhaps there was a good reason-like cleaning the troughs/buckets and perhaps they refill at specific times and had not yet gotten to hers or maybe they are a little sloppy on their own property with mainly their own horses-but she should ask in a civil way.

When you board, commercial or private, things are the way they are because that's the way those who are in charge find works for them. You can't move in and take over trying to change things and/or argue.

And we wonder why a lot of people do not want boarders...
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well said, Eight!!!!!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

Quote Originally Posted by Zenyatta View Post
    Being a "boarder" for many years, I realise no barn is perfect.
    There are things I can work around, while others I can't. Lack of water and turnout, is unacceptable.
    Agreed. If no turnout was unacceptable the OP, why even board there when it's not included with board??

That was my whole point....it misses the point to discuss what is correct or improper horse care - unless it is in advice to leave the barn altogether.

You get what you pay for and OP only has the right to services that have been specifically outlined and agreed upon.

The OP approached the BO asking for a discount on board for doing turnouts. Turnout is not included in the price of board. That implies it is DIY or CoOp or it doesn't get done.

I wouldn't have gone on a tirade, because that's not my personality, but I would have been at the least eye-brow raised amused and at worst annoyed with even having this conversation if I were the BO, depending on how the OP approached it.

The water thing is a real issue (IF the horse was truly without), especially if a boarding contract outlined access to water (which both my boarding contract for boarder horses always did and the contract where my horses are now does).

Regardless....it sounds like a poor fit and not a very horse-friendly situation. I imagine the OP will continue finding [legitimate] issues that are unfortunately common and should be expected when paying so little for board.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Does horse have more than one bucket, which was empty? I keep mine at home, and sometimes they will drain a bucket just after I've filled it (they apparently prefer their water hose-fresh). I add another bucket to those horses and horses at risk of colic or who have had an impaction colic may get 3 buckets.

I am confused as to the trainer/owner relationship here. Are you paying the trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I agree with most of this butttt....is it not the BOs responsibility to make sure services are being adequately performed by HER EMPLOYEES assuming said services were part of the contract?
    IT really depends on the relationship between the BO and the trainer. Personally, I've never experienced a situation where the trainer was an employee of the BO. Most of the situations I'm familiar with are either 1)trainer leases stalls or sometimes a whole facility from the BO and board is paid to the trainer or 2)trainer pays BO a fee per lesson or per month for use of the facilities but board is still the direct responsibility of the BO and is paid directly to them. In both situations, the Trainer IS NOT an employee of the BO and they do not take any direction/supervision from them.

To the OP: I don't have much else to add that hasn't already been said. You were absolutely wrong about asking for a discount regarding the turnout
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I am spoiled at the barn I board at. It's $325 a month for stall board. Hay is weighed for all indoor feedings and my horse is on a round bale in a large pasture for at least 12 hours a day. Stalls are cleaned daily and the stall I have is attached to a run-in so my horse can go in and out as he pleases. Buckets and troughs are always filled to the brim with clean water and the feeders will accommodate any special needs such as soaking hay cubes. The indoor is massive, 250x100 and there is a large outdoor as well. The stable is on 80 acres so there are many trails and huge fields to ride in. There is a dressage trainer on site I take lessons with and she allows me to ride her grand prix horse. Outside trainers are welcome so I bring in multiple trainers and try to get people to join me in clinics. We all get a roomy tack locker and there is an indoor wash rack with hot and cold water. I am required to buy my own feed, but I honestly like the idea of paying for exactly what I'm getting and being able to pick my own feed. It's perfect for the people with pasture puffs, they are not paying for feed they don't use. There are a few more stables around me that offer similar situations, they do include feed but their indoors are not as large and they do not offer as much turnout or a run-in stall.

I just recently moved barns due to previous farm closing. I lucked into a nice private farm with very indiviualized care. My friend and I have our horses on 24/7 turnout nice large run in shed that is in two sections and can be closed with a gate if need be for feeding etc. The barn has 5 stalls and we can use a stall when needed( for an additional charge) There is a large out door ring with lights and a few jumps. Water changed frequently and water tub scrubbed. The farm is set up with multiple grass pastures of varying sizes and we can ride in them when there are not horses turned out. Plus there is alot of open grassy areas where we can ride around the barn and pastures and a large section of woods that has some trails thru it. Horses fed 2x per day with grain of our choice, hayed in winter as needed(pastures are very lush). Sheets and blankets are changed as needed. We can park our trailers with no extra charge. We can also ride down the road and access tons of extra trails. For this we pay $375 per month. There were 5 horses on the farm, but one just left today-needed to go somewhere with dirt paddock-grass too lush and horse trying to founder. The other two horses one belongs to BO and the other is a horse coming back from an injury that just needs some turnout and low key environment.

Thank you all for the feedback! I really appreciate it---lots of great points...

Gonna count my blessings, keep my head down, take care of my horse and leave it at that.

Thanks again!!!!!
    noodles

Quote Originally Posted by Skyis4ever View Post
    I am spoiled at the barn I board at. It's $325 a month for stall board. Hay is weighed for all indoor feedings and my horse is on a round bale in a large pasture for at least 12 hours a day. Stalls are cleaned daily and the stall I have is attached to a run-in so my horse can go in and out as he pleases. Buckets and troughs are always filled to the brim with clean water and the feeders will accommodate any special needs such as soaking hay cubes. The indoor is massive, 250x100 and there is a large outdoor as well. The stable is on 80 acres so there are many trails and huge fields to ride in. There is a dressage trainer on site I take lessons with and she allows me to ride her grand prix horse. Outside trainers are welcome so I bring in multiple trainers and try to get people to join me in clinics. We all get a roomy tack locker and there is an indoor wash rack with hot and cold water. I am required to buy my own feed, but I honestly like the idea of paying for exactly what I'm getting and being able to pick my own feed. It's perfect for the people with pasture puffs, they are not paying for feed they don't use. There are a few more stables around me that offer similar situations, they do include feed but their indoors are not as large and they do not offer as much turnout or a run-in stall.
    So jealous!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

Apologize to BO, be on your best behavior, and help out a least a bit every time you're out there for a while.

After this situation has died down w/ barn owner, I would buy and hang another bucket for horsie the next time I found it empty. Problem solved.